Hair color question

rayraykay

Reaction score
Hi Ladies!

Before I got pregnant, coloring my hair was something I did about every 3-4 months or so. My doctor has told me it's safe to do during pregnancy, but I haven't. I just find such conflicting information about it. I mean, my own doctor does tell me it's safe as long as the place you go to is well-ventilated, etc... but I dunno. What has anyone else heard? Have any of you gotten your hair colored?

I mean, I've lasted this long without coloring my hair but going into labor... it might be nice to have a little bit of an updated look. I just can't decide! If there was ANY chance that it would put my baby at risk I wouldn't dream of doing it, which is why I've held off.

I would love to hear any kind of real life experience anyone has to offer! Thank you!

I have continued to colour my hair every 6/8 weeks through out this pregnancy.

People used to think your head would soak up dangerous chemicals but that's not true and as long as your in a ventilated room, you should be okay.

One thing to remember is that your skin changes in pregnancy and even if you've used the same dye for years doesn't mean you won't have a reaction so it's always best to do a test patch behind your ear xx

Last time I got full head highlights and dyed it and I've dyed it this pregnancy too :)

Ive still done mine only trouble is even tho its the same colour ive always used it hasnt come out any where near the same as before pregnant. Always do the skin test tho

MooMoo I have heard of that before? Not sure why it would happen though- maybe something to do with hormones?

I have dyed my hair throughout this pregnancy. Its fine.

How do you think hairdressers manage when they are pregnant?

Yes ive heard its to do with hormones. Ive just had to put up with it being ginger instead of brown but at least all the greys are covered.
A strand test would of been the best way but that can b expensive if it doesn't turn out the right colour.

Haha so interesting!! I will keep that in mind. Hormones do crazy things!!

Thank you for the info. Maybe I will get my hair done :)

I dyed my hair back to my natural colour when we started ttc so I wouldn't have to worry about it and after seeing how much my hair has changed colour with the hormones I'm glad I did. I have multi-tonal hair now, it would've been completely multi-coloured if I'd continued to colour it. Lol.

My friend is a hairdresser and said that you're better off getting it done at a salon. If you do do it yourself, make sure it's well ventilated like the pp suggested. If you're worried about getting a reaction maybe do highlights instead of a full head colour?

i colored my hair every 8 weeks with my first pregnancy. . . he turned out just fine. I see no problem with it.

I did it in an area that wasn't even really ventilated other than a small overhead fan and I did fine. The only reason why they even suggest that is because the fumes may make you sick.

As for the hair dressers, my mother was a hairdresser while pregnant with me and my brother, and one of my best friends is a hairdresser and is currently pregnant and both said the only real issue they've come across is just having to stand for so many hours with swollen feet, and then once they get to the end it's hard to get close to the customer without knocking them with their belly lol The fumes don't do any harm other than possibly dizziness or nausea just from the strength of it, but I personally had no issues with it, but then again it might be because I'm so used to the smell.

I have had mine done twice so far and am scheduled for a third next Thur. So far my hair has taken it as it always has.

My sisters done a couple of college degrees in hairdressing and beauty.. And has been told never to dye a pregnant woman's hair. I think it's just to cover their backs though as she wasn't given a real reason. I.e if you fainted, you could blame it on them even though it wasn't anything to do with them.

Ive been debating this throughout my pregnancy too - ive decided those chemicals cannot do anything good for baby.. Ive made it so far without dying it, so I will resist.
Not judging anyone who chooses to, it's just I seem to have the worst of luck with these things, and I will never hear the end of "I told you so" from my family.
Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->