Hand flapping

greekgirl

Reaction score
My son hand flaps when he is playing.
When he runs sometimes and when he is very happy.
He is bilingual but hasn't started speaking English in full sentences but has been putting together full sentences since a littl befor he turned 18 months.
He is very responsive and understands instructions and he knows how to count till ten in Greek (since he could speak almost) and till five in English. He recognizes some letters of the alphabet, both alphabets, he plays on his own and he has a very vivid imagination. Sometimes when he is scared he says his cars are scared. He is also very social.
The hand flapping, I was told by another mom here on the island is a sure sign of autism and that her nephew who has no other symptoms besides the hand flapping, who is very bright, has been diagnosed with a form of autism and now that he started school he needs a special needs teacher with him.
My kid is only almost 2,5.
Anyone know if hand flapping is a sign al on its own of autism?

Also, when he has done something wrong and we try talking to him about it, he ignores us and changes the subject. Like, look mama, or here play with this mama. Sometimes he even pets me or strokes me cheek and tells me it's going to be ok. Which sounds like he is too smart for his own good.

Also when we say something and he tries to repeat it he sometimes says it all wrong and gets really upset. And sometimes he says things we don't understand and he throws a fit but I think all of the above, minus the ignoring is normal for this age.

Anyone?

How is your son's speech? I know that when my daughter was a lot younger and before she had developed her speech, she used to hand flap when she was really upset. I found that as soon as her speech improved, she no longer did that.

i wouldn't worry about one "symptom" of autism, but rather more so many concerns that all point in that direction. For example, my daughter used to toe walk on a rare occasion, which could be another marker if done consistently or all the time/past a certain age. Even though she has exhibited these 2 symptoms, she definitely does not have autism, nor was I ever concerned about it. In my mind, with autism or related concerns there would be more than just an isolated symptom you would notice in your child's behavior, and they would be very, very consistent. Just my 2 cents.

I agree hand flapping in isolation doesn't sign post autism. And the rubbing your cheek/comforting you definitely doesn't, usually autistic people find empathy and interpreting emotions difficult.

My daughter is much younger (11m) but she does the hand flapping when upset thing. I think it is quite a common toddler behavior!

Actually, now that you mentioned it, he does walk on his tippy toes once in a while while he is playing, sort of like he is dancing. But it's not something he does often.
He does have trouble being understood. He speaks a lot clearer now than just a month ago so as far development goes he seems fine. But he gets frustrated when we don't understand him.
Also, the hand flapping happened once when he realized that a group of kids didn't want him in their group- it took him a few laps around the park chasing after them and laughing in hope they would play with him before he realized that they didn't want him-
Actually, it was heartbreaking. He suddenly began flapping hands, running around them being weird with his tongue out. Which worried both me and my sister because he had never acted like that before.
Now, maybe all this is normal toddler behavior. I did an online check list for autism and based on the frequency of the hand flapping and the lack of a combination of symptoms he came up fine. But that doesn't tell me much.

I find it hard to believe that her child has been diagnosed with autism despite having no symptoms other than hand flapping. Yes it's a really common trait but it's by no means the basis for a diagnosis.

My daughter flaps her arms when excited and also walked on tip toes a lot. She isn't autistic. They aren't unusual traits in little ones.

I'm a therapist for children with ASD

Hand flapping alone- especially if infrequent or if only used to display intense emotion- is a stage of typical toddler development and is insignificant in the absence of other symptoms. I hope this helps

We all have little quirks and traits. Even you and I. Autism is much more than just that and many other factors need to be looked at.

I'm a psychologist and can diagnose autism in children.. based on the info you provided:

I would not worry about autism based on toe walking and hand flapping. Many factors go into diagnosis autism. One of the prominent criteria would be delayed social language. Also, limited interests, resistance to change and sensory impairments are common symptoms.

Sounds like your son is developing normally. If the hand flapping continues talk to his pediatrician. It could be a sign he has some sensory processing issues, but more likely isn't anything to worry about.

Only read a couple posts, but it sounds like he's showing too much social awareness for autism to be on the radar for him.

Flapping their arms is usual, you don't have to worry about it.

Hi again. I need some help. My son is now bothered by the sound of the vacuum cleaner, the hair dryer scares him and I feel he has some issues in general. He cries over everything, he seems to stress out too often for his age... In addition to the hand flapping he is still drooling a bit. We always used to say it was part of teething but he is 31 months old and he has all 20 teeth.
He is very vocal about what bothers him. He can express himself with words when describing what is bothering him so I don't worry about that just that even my father in law is now questioning my son's behavior... I don't know what to think.
Am I worrying too much?

Hi again. I need some help. My son is now bothered by the sound of the vacuum cleaner, the hair dryer scares him and I feel he has some issues in general. He cries over everything, he seems to stress out too often for his age... In addition to the hand flapping he is still drooling a bit. We always used to say it was part of teething but he is 31 months old and he has all 20 teeth.
He is very vocal about what bothers him. He can express himself with words when describing what is bothering him so I don't worry about that just that even my father in law is now questioning my son's behavior... I don't know what to think.
Am I worrying too much?

I would ask for a referral to an occupational therapist for an evaluation. My daughter has tactile sensitivities that are always present, but fluctuate in severity. Currently we're having a bit of a "flair up." I have a well-child check scheduled for her at the end of the month and I'm planning on inquiring about sensory issues and an OT eval. Violet's issues aren't as big, but I'd love to have some consultation so I can have an idea of how to improve things for her. I think your son would benefit as well.

What is an OT evaluation?
I hate labels. I feel like everything has to be labeled nowadays.
Anyway.
I too just want to help my son trust. I feel like somewhere along the way we went wrong and now it seems he has trust issues. My husband and I can only think of one thing: we used to have to forcefully bathe him because he never liked getting his hair wet.
Sometimes I wonder if I am just in denial...

I have to be honest here - nothing you have said sounds unusual to me. It is very normal for kids of that age to cry a lot (age ripe for tantrumming), not like having their hair washed and be scared of the sound vacuum cleaner and hair dryer make. Your son is 2.5, none of those things are abnormal in themselves.

By all means consult a doctor about it, I can really feel your anxiety about your son and it will help you to talk about it with a medical professional whether or not any of these things really turn out to be an issue.

OT = Occupational therapy. The goal wouldn't be to get a label. The goal would be to have some consultation on how to address the challenges you're seeing. Sensory needs is one area that OT's address. As for waiting it out to see if it's just a phase, that's an option as well. I started noticing sensory challenges for my daughter when she was 3. I gave it a year to see if it was consistent or a phase. She's 4 now and it's consistent and started before 2, hence why I am seeking further assistance. There are sensory integration techniques that can lesson the sensory challenges. So, I want professional guidance on how I can improve things for her. While certain fears and things that kids hate can be normal, there's a point at which it affects their life. We're at that point with certain things including bathing and dressing.

If you feel like something is going on, why don't you go to the doctor and get an evaluation? Do you have a pediatrician for your son? I know you're concerned about labels, and most of the things you're saying sound like normal two year old behavior, but if you have a feeling that something's not right, then go in and get a check-up/eval.

My son has diagnosed autism. Hos speach is fine and he has eye contact and social interaction. Just wanted to clear up a common misconception. Back when my son was diagnosed he had to be assesed by 6 different drs. I would definitly get a check up x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->