Handeling morning sickness?

mcwhmm

Reaction score
I never had morning sickness with my daughter, but boy oh boy do I this time! It started a couple days ago and sometimes I even wake up in the middle of the night. Like last night I woke up at 2am and got sick and then again when my alarm went off for work. It's awful. I always have a migraine too. It makes me want to crawl back into bed and call in to work. It also makes it very difficult to get ready in the morning and I end up looking like a walking zombie every day. On occasion it will last all day. Any tips or tricks on how to handle this??

Not sure if it will work for you but drinking ginger ale really helped me. I was just like you, throwing up constantly especially in the middle of the night / morning hours.

This may be a goofy question, lol, but is ginger ale like 7 up? I have never actually had it but I used to always drink 7 up when I had the flu or hung over lol. It's just like everything I look at, smell, or think about makes me sick! Lol Iike this morning I got up and instantly got sick but then I went to get soemthing to drink and there was a pan in the sink that I was soaking from last nights pizza bake that I made and I looked at that and got sick again! Then taking my prenatal vitamin makes me sick and THEN I got in my car and I just bought new air fresheners for my car the other day and that made me sick the moment I stepped foot in my car.. Also things like the toilet, refrigerator, garbages and my dogs food make me sick lol it all sounds so ridiculous!

My morning sickness hasn't really kicked in yet (feeling kind of off this morning) but I've had friends who had a lot of help from sucking on hard candy, and the sea sickness bracelets. Would be worth a try. Good luck!!

Gingerale has ginger in it which is good for settling stomach sickness and nausea. 7up has no ginger.

I bought ginger tea which seemed to help (drank it hot or cold with a little honey). I also bought hard candies to suck on to keep the yucky taste in my mouth at bay.

I don't take prenatals as my stomach did not like them. I take a B6/12 tablet with folic acid in it, plus vitamin E, C and D.

I found a few soda crackers and big glass of water in bed about 20 minutes before getting up really helped as well. As much as you don't feel like drinking, hydration is key to helping with sickness!

Good luck - hope is doesn't stick around long!

I see you live in the US! So I know you have access to "Canada Dry" ginger ale, "Canada Dry" is the best one imo. Things like 7up and sprite all have extras that ginger ale does not and do not contain any ginger (at least none that I know of). That could mess with your tummy even more. So I would suggest just sticking to the ginger ale (if it helps). The best way to drink it is warm, not cold.

You should try switching to a plant based prenatal. The fish based ones can be really harsh on your stomach and cause like you said you to throw up. When i switched to plant based prenatals, they were so gentle on my stomach I did not even notice them! I could even take them at any time of day and not get sick. They are more expensive and you would need a prescription to get them but imo well worth it. You don't need another factor to cause you to get sick. Pregnancy is enough alone hehe!!

I also tried avoiding eating right before bed. When food sits in your stomach overnight especially when pregnant it can cause you to get sick in the morning or even overnight. It is because it just sits there and does not digest properly. At least that is what I noticed for myself. When I stopped eating before bed, it made it a lot better in the morning for me.

You can also try eating things with citric acid in them. The citric acid can really help to calm your stomach much like the ginger ale. Yummy things like jolly ranchers or fruit based hard candies have a lot of citric acid in them. There is also lots of other "healthier" choices of food that have tons of citric acid. I posted a link below for you to take a look at if you are interested!

https://www.livestrong.com/article/137054-foods-with-citric-acid/

As for the smells, sadly there is really no way to avoid that. It could be because your stomach is already upset and the smells are making it worse. Once you figure out a way to calm your stomach down it is possible that the smells won't make you as sick.

Thanks for all of your suggestions ladies! I am going to go grocery shopping and get some Canada Dry, some crackers, and some jolly ranchers. I have never thought of trying hard candies, but it definitely makes sense! I read on a few websites that eating high protein foods before bed can help with morning sickness because it takes longer to digest so you aren't AS hungry when you wake up, not sure how that helps sickness though. Today my sickness has gone on all day. I seriously dread going to bed every night and waking up in the morning because I know I will feel just awful.

When it comes to my prenatal vitamin, it's not the pill itself that is making me sick, its the act of putting the pill in my mouth and swallowing it. I also took some tylenol this morning to try to ease my headache and had a hard time swallowing and keeping that down as well.. All I can say is that I hope these next couple weeks go by fast and this passes!

Protein is a big part of morning sickness. You're always told to have crackers, ginger ale, ect. and it doesn't give you any protein.
Make it a point to force some protein when you're not feeling well (or before!) and see if that helps.

I also used sea bands and those were awesome!

Hope you feel better soon! <3

Sorry, but what in the world are these sea bands? Lol

Sorry, but what in the world are these sea bands? Lol

These bands that you can put on your wrist. Kind of like the ones that were "all the rage" a few years ago that helped with balance.

https://www.sea-band.com/

They either work or don't, its a 50/50 chance for a lot of ppl.

Huh.. I might have to check that out if this ginger ale and crackers and jolly ranchers don't work.. I wonder if those bands is more of a mental thing?

It is possible it is a mental thing. Don't really know the science behind it so I can't really tell you. Would not surprise me though. Have any of those remedies been helping you at all?

Actually the jolly ranchers have been helping me somehow lol

That is great to hear! They helped me too. At least you know you only have a few more weeks of MS. It "should" start to get better around 13/14 weeks.

I'll be 7 weeks tomorrow it better not last another 6-7 weeks! Lol

Gingerale
Ginger tea
Vitamin B6 (I take 1 tablet-100MG)

The B6 helps me a lot. I usually take my folic acid and B6 pill when I wake up, but I ran out of the folic acid and was waiting for my hubby to come back from the pharmacy. The nausea just continued to build. After taking it I felt much better about an hour later.

Lol following this...am dreading the morning sickness kicking in!

The sea bands are to do with pressure points, and there's a pressure point on the wrist that is meant to help with nausea.

The only other suggestion I did last time was made sure I had flapjacks to hand, I would wake up in the night/early morning and need to eat instantly otherwise I would throw up. Flapjacks have oats in them which also last longer in your tummy and fill you up quickly. So were my best option.

I can't take much more!!! This morning was awful! Lol my dog got sick all over the place so I have been up since 5am cleaning and then I would get sick and then finally my hubby got up and cleaned up for me and let me rest but this is the first weekend I have had to deal with my sickness since it really just started Monday. I dread waking up in the morning! I have been eating crackers for the last 7 hours lol

Mint polos were (and still are!) my best friend throughout the first trimester

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"