Hands-free Breastfeeding?

PeachSalsa

Reaction score
How can this be done? I know at night, co-sleeping without a top could work. But what about during the day when you are moving around and need to care for other child or do chores, etc? Are there any good slings or baby carriers that work well for hands-free breastfeeding? Any other tips/suggestions?

I am just trying to prepare ahead of time because I recall DC1 wanted to be on the boob ALL the time in the first few months and I couldnt do anything, it wore me out very quickly. This time around, I cant afford to devote 100% of my time as I have another child to care for...

Thanks ladies!

I think some people do manage feeing in a sling, but I think it is much easier once feeding is established and baby is alert enough to actively feed without encouragement and millimetre perfect positioning! Once you start doing other things it can be hard to tell if baby actually fed or just fell asleep, although baby wearing is great for keeping babies feeding reflexes happy and stimulating milk production, so you might want to just see at what point you are happy that you both know what your doing so can leave baby to it while you get stuff done.

Other things to think about are calling in your support network to help with your older child. Can your partner (if you have one) take any additional leave to support you for longer? Are there relatives who you would be happy to come stay with you, or nearby, or visit regularly? Could you afford temporary childcare (even if just for one or two mornings/afternoons per week)? This doesn't have to be completely separate from you either, just taking the pressure off all requests to play, get food etc. don't have to come through you! Yes you don't want to 100% ignore your older child of course, but it may be that just for the newborn stage they have to spend some time with other people while you REST and bond with the new baby.

If you are very uncomfortable with this, consider using any support you have to do other tasks like cooking/laundry/washing pots etc. Taking care of a newborn is a full time job!

Can I encourage you to put your little one on a schedule? Whatever that looks like? Those precious moments BF LO go by so quickly. Please enjoy every moment and slow down. There will always be cleaning, laundry, cooking and chores, but there will not always be time with your infant. Hugs mama! Congrats on your LO!

Unless I carried Emma around my waist there is no way I could ever breastfeed while she was in a carrier. Her head sits under my chin and my nipples are somewhere around her belly button. I wish it was something I could do.

It is hard with all the breastfeeding and having bigger kids but you just seem to find ways to work around it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->