Has anybody had 2 sections and vbac?

bluecathy1978

Mum to 6 kids & 2 angels
Reaction score
Morning ladies.

This is baby number 7 for me. Baby 1&2 were normal deliveries, 3 was emergency section, 4&5 normal deliveries and 6 ended up being a section too.

I am just after advice and opinions really to help me make my mind up on what to do.

I saw my midwife on Monday and she said I would definitely have to have a section. Yesterday I spoke to a consultant yesterday and she said vbac may be possible because I've had 4 previous normal deliveries.

I am torn because if I have a normal delivery I could be home within 24 hours but if I have a section it will mean a longer stay.

A section may be safer though but recovery can be tough afterwards with 6 children already. But if I try for a normal delivery they don't have much in the way of statistics on how safe it is.

I think I would prefer a normal delivery but just don't want to put myself or baby at risk. My head is in bits lol xx

It's totally up to you, though I haven't personally had a c-section I have a really good friend who has had 4, her first was vaginal and the last 4 were c-sections but until she developed really high bp and had to take the baby early, the dr was going to let her do a vbac after 3 c-sections.

you can ask them to check the thickness of your uterus wall around your scar as you get closer to the end, most hospitals have a thickness that it needs to be to be considered safe for a vbac. The concern is your uterus rupturing during a natural delivery because your scar thicknesss is not enough. From all of the reading I've done the uterus wall needs to be typically 3mm - 3.5 mm in order for a vbac to be considered safe.

Good luck.

The risk of having a vaginal birth after 2 c sections is almost the same as having a vaginal birth after only 1 c section. The risk of uterine rupture is less then 1%. The risks of having a third c section are much higher for the complications that come along with them. So, I would say, since you have had successful vaginal births, before and after a c section, you are a great candidate for a VBA2C, so you should definitely go for it! Look in to ICAN, online, for the statistics on VBA2C and another repeat c section.

I don't have personal experience, but its totally doable, especially as you've had vaginal births in between. I know women who have VBAC'd after 3, 4 and even 5 cesareans (some of whom had never had a vaginal birth previously even).
Finding a provider who is truly supportive (and wont put conditions on you like needing to be in labour by 39 weeks, limiting mobility in labour etc) is the majority of the difficulty IMO.

I don't have any personal experience, but I have seen many women have succesful VBA2Cs on the ICAN facebook feed I follow, and they are just from my area. I think it is quite common.

I know you are in the UK, but I found this in the ACOG paper on VBACs, apparently some studies show increased risk, some do not, but the general consensus is that it is barely any increased risk of a VBAC with 1 cesarean.

More Than One Previous Cesarean Delivery
Studies addressing the risks and benefits of TOLAC in women with more than one cesarean delivery have reported a risk of uterine rupture between 0.9% and 3.7%, but have not reached consistent conclusions regarding how this risk compares with women with only one prior uterine incision (64–68). Two large studies, with sufficient size to control for confounding variables, reported on the risks for women with two previous cesarean deliveries undergoing TOLAC (66, 67). One study found no increased risk of uterine rupture (0.9% versus 0.7%) in women with one versus multiple prior cesarean deliveries (66), whereas the other noted a risk of uterine rupture that increased from 0.9% to 1.8% in women with one versus two prior cesarean deliveries (67). Both studies reported some increased risk in morbidity among women with more than one prior cesarean delivery, although the absolute magnitude of the difference in these risks was relatively small (eg, 2.1% versus 3.2% composite major morbidity in one study) (67). Additionally, the chance of achieving VBAC appears to be similar for women with one or more than one cesarean delivery. Given the overall data, it is reasonable to consider women with two previous low transverse cesarean deliveries to be candidates for TOLAC, and to counsel them based on the combination of other factors that affect their probability of achieving a successful VBAC. Data regarding the risk for women undergoing TOLAC with more than two previous cesarean deliveries are limited (69).

Hi BlueCathy :)

I am a VBA2C Hopeful here too :) I am on the VBAC UK Support group on FB and there are a lot of midwives on there that are saying it is now save to have VBA2C and I think given the fact that you had a natural births already I think you should get to go for it :) I have never had a normal birth but for me I desire a normal birth because of recovery time and because its something I have never experienced :) The good thing is you have nine months to make up your mind :) xx

I'm going to go for a VBA2C aswell. I laboured normal with my son only reason he was born via section was a transverse breech. My daughter was fetal destress after 3days waters broken and tired out with being messed around. Only thing is they won't induce and they won't allow you to go over either. There's plenty information online about attempting or succeeding in doing a VBA2C.

Good luck to you xxx

I am so glad to here that there are so many VBA2C people out there :) I might make a thread :)

Go for it hun :) im looking forward to seeing my consultant and gathering all the information I will need..the consultant may agree to allow me a trial or labour but it's gonna be the fight on the day with the midwifes..Ive Googled all the symptoms of a impending rupture and it seems that fetal monitor is the most important but saying that I do not want to be strapped to a bed I want free moving monitoring and no spinal block or anything so I can feel the difference in pain.
We have as much chance as a vbac1 and I will make sure to not go In to early unless I feel the baby or I don't seem well. But hopefully with a good positive mind and a happy and helpful midwife i can do this :) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->