Has anyone else got a false Posstive with Rh Antibodies?

xpinkness87x

Reaction score
I was told when i went for my Anti D that i had anti bodies in my blood... the mw said she wanted to phone blood bank to double check... and it came back that it was a false possitive and after investigation it screened as negative...

Even tho this was confirmed it still worries me that the are in there!!

what does that mean honey?? I've never heard of it before??xxxx

i got Rhesus negative blood and the screen you for antibodies... and mine came back possitive... and then i was told it was a false possitive.

I've never had my screening come back as positive hun so can't imagine how worrying it must be for you. I would believe that it was a false positive if they have double checked. Your midwife obviously doesn't see many positives and that is why she rang to make sure. I would ask to be tested again if it's really worrying you hun but I am sure if they said it was a false positive then it's nothing to worry about x x x

Oh yes, this is very rare. I have only known this once in my career. In my experience this has happened on a lady who was originally A-ve and later in the pregnancy was A+ve but the lab explained her level was so low, therefore originally showing a false negative. :)

oooops i have taken a while to post on this again.

From my 28 week bloods it came back as negative again... so was a deffo false possitive :) I just think it is strange that if they checked it again why didnt they re-print the form to say it was negative instead of causing worry?

i never really understood RH blood no one explained it to me proper when i was first pregnant.. This site has given me heaps of info though :)

I have a question regarding this.
Can your RH status change? I didnt need the RH shot with my first pregnancy and all my bloods came back fine, spot on, fantastic... so im not sure why they wanna take the same set of bloods from me a second time round- the only thing I can imagine changing is your blood count (ie: anemia)

No your RH status can't change. I'm guessing the blood tests are just standard and maybe you have to have them again each pregnancy so that they can write it into your notes and be certain? I don't know lol I'm RH negative and I told my midwife when I went to my first appointment but she still did the bloods too... Lol you'd think it would be more cost effective not to do unnecessary blood tests but there might be a reason for it that we just don't know xx

Yea I dont understand it at all....
If NOTHING changes then why bother?
For exmaple im with the same partner and I know hes been faithful and I know I certainly have, so why go thru the STD bloods again? and the rubella, since they know im immune.... I dont want the downs test either since it wouldnt matter to me either way- they can test for spinabiffida and my iron levels, but the rest seems absolutely pointless to me.

Yea I dont understand it at all....
If NOTHING changes then why bother?
For exmaple im with the same partner and I know hes been faithful and I know I certainly have, so why go thru the STD bloods again? and the rubella, since they know im immune.... I dont want the downs test either since it wouldnt matter to me either way- they can test for spinabiffida and my iron levels, but the rest seems absolutely pointless to me.

Bloods have to be taken at every new pregnancy that way they have up to date and accurate results. It isn't just the blood group that is tested. They need an up to date haemaglobin level. Although your blood group hasn't changed, like some ladies who have been RH-ve in one pregnancy can show RH+ve in another. This is extrememly rare, its not that a woman's rhesus status has changed it just that the Rhesus antibodies didn't show up the first time. So up to date bloods at each pregnancy is relevant. Also, it is not the midwives job to judge whether you have been faithful or not since your last pregnancy so the other results for syphillis is relevant. Results are what is certain to midwives and doctors, not 'say so' :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->