Has anyone ever used Phenergan for nausea?

stickylizard

Reaction score
Hi all, wondered if any of you ladies had ever been prescribed these? I have been taking Domperidone but they're not really cutting it any more, my GP just prescribed me these over the phone and I wondered what others' experiences were of them? Thanks in advance xx

me and my family took phenergan, non pregnancy related, but during a sickness bug, we were recommended these. they do work, but possibly as they worked more like a sedative, so kind of dozed/slept through the virus :wacko:

I did. Just a warning. It can cause hallucinations in some people. I thught it was just me til i googled it and it seems to do that to alot of others. I hope it works for you and you feel better soon.

I do the suppositories and only take it when shit is really bad and I can't stand it anymore. It flat knocks me out for about 4 hours. For me, it is a 4 hr sleep break from vomiting. As soon as I wake back up it is back. I don't take it at night because after it wears off I have to get up and puke again, so it's pointless. But it does help when I can't stand to be awake anymore.

Try zofran? Diclegis?

It knocks you out like pp said, but it also really exacerbates RLS, so if that's been a problem for you, I'd avoid it.

Isn't working for me for either hyperemesis or sleep :/ Does make the restless legs worse.

I haven't heard great things about phenergan. I've had severe nausea 24/7 and being sick every day and the only thing that has helped is Zofran. It is perfectly safe for the baby and doesn't make you drowsy. I also get it in a wafer form, you just put it on your tongue and it dissolves and works it's magic fast! It's no miracle cure but it definitely takes the edge off and sometimes I almost feel normal.

I hope you can get your hands on some and the morning sickness settles down, good luck!

I hated Phenergan. Zofran is the way to go 100%

Phenergan was an absolute life saver for me, i couldnt get out of my bed with nausea but this helped to function and eat again. I took it until the day I gave birth, and would recommend, it does knock you out when you first take it but you do get used to it after a while. It is also one of the older medicines so has been around for years and is deemed safe during pregnancy. doesnt hurt to give it a try if you are suffering xx

I prefer Zofran because I didn't make me sleepy. However due to insurance I couldn't refill my Zofran so my Dr. gave me Phenergan childrens dose which is 12.5mg. It still made me pass out, but it did help me with the nausea. I took it at night and ate something usually cereal the second I woke up in the mornings and I was usually ok throughout most of the day, but by the evening I was feeling sick again so had to take another one and the cycle started over..

I used to get stomach viruses fairly often as a kid, and discovering phenergan was like Christmas for me. It was the only thing that ever helped my nausea and vomiting. I haven't taken it while pregnant though.

Well ladies I took my first 10mg pil before bed on Monday and felt really sick when I woke up. Took another and had some toast with peanut butter and it knocked me out for a few hours which was ok with me since I'd had broken sleep feeling sick all night and hubby was around to take care of the kids. Woke feeling surprisingly ok. I had another around lunchtime and it worked, I was able to function and even able to eat a normal meal AND a chocolate bar! Boy do I regret that now :[

It's almost 5am and I've been up for nearly an hour, sitting next to the toilet feeling like I could chuck at any moment :[ I do remember with my other pregnancies that if I ate sweets or chocolate I felt worse the next day. I am hoping this is an extreme version of that and not the spell of nights to come! I took a pill when I woke up earlier but it's not touching the nausea right now. It has made me really spaced out and sleepy which is great since I can't blink without feeling even sicker! :'[

I quite honestly would rather give birth than feel sick, I hate it. And I have said that during labour! Tentatively sucking a piece of gum but again, not helping. All I want to do is sleep :[

Thank you all for your replies. I have heard great things about Zofran but I'm not sure if its available in the UK?

Xxx

Well ladies I took my first 10mg pil before bed on Monday and felt really sick when I woke up. Took another and had some toast with peanut butter and it knocked me out for a few hours which was ok with me since I'd had broken sleep feeling sick all night and hubby was around to take care of the kids. Woke feeling surprisingly ok. I had another around lunchtime and it worked, I was able to function and even able to eat a normal meal AND a chocolate bar! Boy do I regret that now :[

It's almost 5am and I've been up for nearly an hour, sitting next to the toilet feeling like I could chuck at any moment :[ I do remember with my other pregnancies that if I ate sweets or chocolate I felt worse the next day. I am hoping this is an extreme version of that and not the spell of nights to come! I took a pill when I woke up earlier but it's not touching the nausea right now. It has made me really spaced out and sleepy which is great since I can't blink without feeling even sicker! :'[

I quite honestly would rather give birth than feel sick, I hate it. And I have said that during labour! Tentatively sucking a piece of gum but again, not helping. All I want to do is sleep :[

Thank you all for your replies. I have heard great things about Zofran but I'm not sure if its available in the UK?

Xxx

Oh dear hun, I know exactly what you are going through...it is the worst feeling on earth!

Zofran would definitely be available in the UK. Ondansetron is the actual drug, Zofran is just a brand name. I would ask your Dr right away, don't suffer anymore! Honestly I was so bad, throwing up every day and so severely nauseous absolutely ALL the time, it was hell. Zofran seriously stopped me from just about losing it! I felt like I was at my wits end and could take no more, the other drugs I tried had all failed to help me. It's not a cure but it takes the nausea down to a point where it is very manageable.

Also while you are on it, it's best to remember you still need to eat bland, simple foods as it's easy to think you're better and eat like normal..not a good idea! A bit like your chocolate bar scenario, I have made this mistake many times!

If you ask your Dr about it, ask for the wafers (they work faster). Good luck, I hope you get some relief soon. :flower:

P.S. I have NO idea how you are doing this with 3 children!! You are incredible, keep pushing through!!

Hi I took it in my last 5 pregnancies and it was a godsend for me. Yes it can cause you to be sleepy so its recommended you take it on a night time. It stopped me from being sick. The only side effects I had from it was a dry mouth upon waking. Other anti-sickness meds didn't work these were the only ones that did. x

I've used Stematil and Maxalon but zofran seems to have a better result. My doctor said phenergen makes you too drowsy

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->