Has anyone got a degree in english language/literature?

beth_terri

Reaction score
If so what have you done with it? I'm so undecided where I want ti be. I did get on a degree course for this year but didn't peruse it because of the debt compared with the earnings after. They just didn't match up. I don't see a choice but to wait until my kids are older to study midwifery which is what I really want to do. I love science (biology), but also love English and I'm pretty good at it. I'm just wondering what careers people got from the degree? I dont wanna be a school teacher. Xx

I dont think it's a degree that will lead to a well paid career. Midwifery sounds good as there is a baby boom at the moment!

I dont think it's a degree that will lead to a well paid career. Midwifery sounds good as there is a baby boom at the moment!

I know but I currently work in a supermarket and can't see a way out :( Yeh it'd be fantastic but too much time away from my babies atm :( xx

My English teacher was in advertising before she taught and that was from an English degree xx

You could work in television, journalism, public relations. There's quite a lot you can do with an english degree you just have to research what you want. Your job doesn't have to relate directly to the degree. The fact you have a degree will show employers that you're dedicated, determined and smart, that you can work to a schedule and deadlines, that you are committed to your work, that you can take instruction but also do things off your own initiative. A degree is a handy thing to have whatever it's in. When I started college we did a task to try and guess famous people's degrees and none of them related to what they did. Jonathan Ross- History, Rowan Atkinson- Electrical Engineering, J. K. Rowling- French.

Sorry what I meant was, if you are looking at where it will get you, I think your choices will be limited. Could you do midwifery part time? Or modules to supprt thatcourse?

My English teacher was in advertising before she taught and that was from an English degree xx

You could work in television, journalism, public relations. There's quite a lot you can do with an english degree you just have to research what you want. Your job doesn't have to relate directly to the degree. The fact you have a degree will show employers that you're dedicated, determined and smart, that you can work to a schedule and deadlines, that you are committed to your work, that you can take instruction but also do things off your own initiative. A degree is a handy thing to have whatever it's in. When I started college we did a task to try and guess famous people's degrees and none of them related to what they did. Jonathan Ross- History, Rowan Atkinson- Electrical Engineering, J. K. Rowling- French.

I wouldhave agreed with you 10 years ago. But look at how many graduates there are with no jobs ...

I wouldhave agreed with you 10 years ago. But look at how many graduates there are with no jobs ...

But at the same time look how many people there are in general with no job. Granted a degree isn't necessary these days but if you want to do one it doesn't have to be in something that will lead to a specific kind of job it should be something you are genuinely interested in otherwise you may not enjoy it and you're getting into enormous debt over something you don't want to be doing. I am doing an English language and literature degree and I do want to become a teacher but if I didn't and was going to do a degree it would be in Literature anyway because that's what I love x

Honestly, it was the biggest mistake of my life, sorry :( I haven't used it. I can get some poorly paid work as an ESL teacher every now and then but even those who with school credentials have a long wait to get into the school system. Yes, there are lot of careers that can branch from an English degree but honestly they are a dime a dozen and nearly everyone I went to university with has a completely unrelated (and tbh poorly paid) job.

Instead of literature/language (unless you are bilingual and can be a translator), you might want to consider working in technical writing and proofreading. A traditional literature degree does not prepare you for this - there are separate programs specifically for those occupations. Literature and language is about explaining the meaning behind language and isn't directly applicable to the vast majority of paid work. Technical writing is about making language clear, concise, and usable for the average reader and is a skill which many companies require to promote their products, hence there is a decent demand for those with technical writing skills.

(I graduated in 2009)

My best friend does. She went on to do an MA and has now nearly finished her PhD with a view to being a uni lecturer xx

I considered an English degree, but decided against as the only English graduates I know are teachers. A degree isn't worth doing IMO if it doesn't lead to a specific job - not now you leave uni with £30,000 worth of debt!

I decided on doing a degree with the Open University. It's more flexible than a traditional degree, but it's still expensive.

I really think degrees aren't as valuable as they once were. The last govt's target of 50% of the population being graduates was sheer madness. However, that might mean it's harder longterm if you don't have one. If I knew what job I wanted eventually, I'd actually choose professional qualifications over a degree.

I agree with patch, a technical program is a great idea.

If you like biology, babies, and don't care for the on call hours that midwifery inevitably leads to, what about something in the field of say, radiology? Such as ultrasound technology, xray technology, etc?

I worked in emergency services and let me say, an overnight shift (ie. 6pm-6am) is actually quite compatible with parenting! Yes, you might be quite tired lol but the hours also mean you may not have to pay for childcare, the wages are good, and the jobs are quite stable/flexible, especially if you choose part time work.

If I had to do it over again, I would have taken that path.

I have an english degree! Haven't done anything with it yet but I do plan to become a primary school teacher when my baby is older. Sorry this doesn't help you much! Sometimes I wish I'd never bothered and just worked my way up in an everyday job - but then I didn't want a samey 9-5 job I'm just not that sort of person!

Like others have said many from my class went into journalism,teaching, tefl (teaching english to foreign speakers) and you could venture into media if that's your sort of thing?x

I loved my English and American Literature degree, and I don't regret it at all. I don't think it's been a great door opener as such. The name of the University helped me get a job (as a teacher! Sorry!) and I think that happened to many of my friends too. A 2:1 from some universities might be seen more positively by some employers than a first from another. People on my course went into journalism, publishing, the charity sector, and quite a few did PHDs/lecturing.

Thanks. I've looked at sonography etc but I don't think there are many jobs for it currently. What sortof professional qualifications are there as opposed to a degree? And as for part time midwifery, I think there are only a very few universities that offer it and I can only apply to my 2 closest which is hull and York :( xx

Personally, from what I have seen, it is the institution you go to that is more valuable than the degree itself. When I was working and looking to hire people, I'd look at CVs and go '1st from Anglian Ruskin? - out pile. 2:2 from UCL- short list!'

Hmm so how are you supposed to know which unis are the favourable ones?! Xx

I have an english degree, which I loved doing and have found to be a very versatile qualification. I started off in video/tv production but fell out of love with the industry and got into marketing instead, whuch i love. im hoping to go back to my job part time but if they say no I think i'll look into being a classroom assistant for a time, then i might go in to do a pgce if I decide to develop it into teaching. Good luck in whatever you decide and if you have any questions relating to anything ive mentioned please feel free to pm me :)

I did a law degree. Loved the academic degree but hated the practical reality of being in legal practice. I am a teacher now and love it. But not sure I would go into teaching if starting off now, as there are no jobs for teachers around. Jobs for teachers are like gold dust at the moment!

If you do a google search for university rankings you will have an idea of the prestigious ones; no guessing which universities rank 1st and 2nd lol!

Generally the red brick and russell group university graduates are percieved as more favourable than the 1994 institution graduates.

Hope that helps x

If you do a google search for university rankings you will have an idea of the prestigious ones; no guessing which universities rank 1st and 2nd lol!

Generally the red brick and russell group university graduates are percieved as more favourable than the 1994 institution graduates.

Hope that helps x

That includes Leeds by the way Beth. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"