Has anyone got a degree in english language/literature?

Completely agree about the university you go to being just as important (if not more so) than the degree classisfication you come away with. I got into Durham, Sunderland and Teesside Universities, no prizes for guessing which one I chose!!!

I wouldn't go to university unless I was certain that I could get a job when I graduate because it is a massive amount of debt if you can't get anything from it. And I agree with what a pp said about having a degree not necessarily guaranteeing you a job, 10 years ago yes it probably would have done but not today it wouldn't. That's why I chose a vocational degree where I am almost certainly guaranteed a job in my chosen area :flower: xx

Completely agree about the university you go to being just as important (if not more so) than the degree classisfication you come away with. I got into Durham, Sunderland and Teesside Universities, no prizes for guessing which one I chose!!!

I wouldn't go to university unless I was certain that I could get a job when I graduate because it is a massive amount of debt if you can't get anything from it. And I agree with what a pp said about having a degree not necessarily guaranteeing you a job, 10 years ago yes it probably would have done but not today it wouldn't. That's why I chose a vocational degree where I am almost certainly guaranteed a job in my chosen area :flower: xx

What in if you don't mind me asking? Xx

I'm doing a BA in Primary Education. I do lots of placements along side the academic work and it's practically unheard of to not get a job upon finishing. I don't necessarily have to go onto teaching it can lead to lots of different careers in education but the placements help to make contacts and to (hopefully) make good impressions on head teachers xx

I think you should become a midwife! I did a degree in Japanese when I was 18 but unfortunately having a degree is no longer a guaranteed path into a job. I got a 2:1 but still ended up on a minimum wage job for at least a year afterwards before I found a better position. A couple of years ago I got made redundant and even though language degrees are meant to be really 'employable' I was getting nowhere, so I decided to retrain. Now I am 2 years into a nursing degree (got one year left but I'm on maternity leave at the moment) and with an actual qualification like nursing it will be a lot easier for me to get a job. I did enjoy learning Japanese and I have no regrets because I was 18 and had a brilliant time, but in terms of a career, it was a complete flop. x

I think you should become a midwife! I did a degree in Japanese when I was 18 but unfortunately having a degree is no longer a guaranteed path into a job. I got a 2:1 but still ended up on a minimum wage job for at least a year afterwards before I found a better position. A couple of years ago I got made redundant and even though language degrees are meant to be really 'employable' I was getting nowhere, so I decided to retrain. Now I am 2 years into a nursing degree (got one year left but I'm on maternity leave at the moment) and with an actual qualification like nursing it will be a lot easier for me to get a job. I did enjoy learning Japanese and I have no regrets because I was 18 and had a brilliant time, but in terms of a career, it was a complete flop. x

I do really want to its just you jump straight into full time placements, nights etc. I dont want to miss all my kids childhoods, but at the same time I want to provide for them! Such a hard decision xx

I do really want to its just you jump straight into full time placements, nights etc. I dont want to miss all my kids childhoods, but at the same time I want to provide for them! Such a hard decision xx

Yeah definitely a hard decision. If I hadn't started the course now I wouldn't do it at this point, but as I only have one year left I go back when Joni is 10 months and do the last year. It's definitely a lot to take on with a baby. But I reckon it might be worth waiting for if that's what you really want to do. Hard decision for you definitely! x

Ive actually found a sign language course (that ive been looking for for agessss) so im going to do that in january. It was always one of the things I wanted for my personal statement as I think signing midwives are few and far between! xx

Ive actually found a sign language course (that ive been looking for for agessss) so im going to do that in january. It was always one of the things I wanted for my personal statement as I think signing midwives are few and far between! xx

I was going to start a BSL course this month, but it runs until next April, and I don't think I'll cope with an evening class, toddler and newborn, so it's got to wait until next year :( My cousin is training to be an interpreter - I quite like the idea of that :)

I was going to start a BSL course this month, but it runs until next April, and I don't think I'll cope with an evening class, toddler and newborn, so it's got to wait until next year :( My cousin is training to be an interpreter - I quite like the idea of that :)

And its quite good pay I think? Xx

And its quite good pay I think? Xx

A quick google gave me this
https://nationalcareersservice.dire...les/Pages/britishsignlanguageinterpreter.aspx

Seems pretty decent :)

I've got a degree in English lit and am an English teacher although didnt go into teaching straight away, worked for a local newspaper. Admittedly I'm never going to be a millionaire but when full time, my wage was very decent and much higher than my friends' jobs. I say go with what you enjoy, I loved my degree course and would do it again in a heart beat. Good luck xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->