Has this happened to you?

newagemama

Reaction score
Hey gals,
My name is Erica. I'm 26 years old and this is my very first post! It may turn out to be a long one because I have been going through such a difficult time and I want to make sure that anyone reading this has all the details before replying. I'm not even sure this is the right section for a post like this, so please tell me if it needs to be removed or moved to another section! Basically, I have 2 children already, ages 3 and 5. I believe that I am pregnant with my 3rd but have had strange test results and a doctor visit that did not go well at all. The medical care that I have received has been absolutely horrible and now my insurance has expired and needs to be renewed. Last time they claimed to have sent the packet to me in the mail, I never got anything, and I didn't know it had expired until I got sent away at the time of my doctor appointment! So it delayed everything and I didn't get full coverage again until about 3 months later. I have MediCal. It's just one more thing to stress about.

The first day of my LMP was on May 9th. I tested positive for ovulation and also had all the familiar signs and believe that I conceived on or around May 25th. I experienced what I believe to have been implantation bleeding on June 8th. The spotting was so very light that I didn't even need a pantyliner. It was barely noticeable when I wiped. The spotting was on/off for 2 days. On June 15th, I went for a blood test and it came back negative for pregnancy. It showed that I was anemic (level 8) and the doctor gave me iron pills. The day after the blood test, I woke up and could barely move, my back was in so much pain. The pain went to my hips and shot down my legs. I could barely sit up, couldn't even walk, and had to call in sick for work. This horrible pain lasted 4 days. The one and only time I ever experienced that was when I was pregnant with my first child. I literally felt like my back was being pulled from each side and just about ready to snap. Horrible. The back pain went away after 4 days, but then I began getting horrible migraine headaches which seemed to last all day, everyday, for about a week. It didn't matter how much water I drank and how much rest I got (I was sleeping 10-12 hours per night that week), the headaches persisted and prior to that I couldn't even tell you the last time I had a headache. At that point, I was really under the impression I was pregnant. Took a test and it was negative. Part of me was confused. I was FEELING pregnant. And sometimes when a woman knows, she just knows, right? With my firstborn, I remember taking a break at work, going to the bathroom and, after washing my hands, turned and looked at myself from the side, put my hands on my stomach and said, "I'm pregnant." and took a test the next day which confirmed it. I wasn't even trying to get pregnant! I wasn't tracking ovulation or even looking for signs. I just knew.

So, back to now....I took another test again on July 1st and the line was faint. On July 3rd, I tested again and it was a clear positive. I showed it around to other women who are mothers, and they couldn't deny the positive result. So, I called and scheduled an appointment for Monday July 11th with OB. They did blood work that day. The results came back on Friday. Negative. All that week I was very nauseous. I would wake up in the morning and have to shut my bedroom door because the smell of eggs and other breakfast foods made me feel sick. I couldn't bring myself to eat lunch with co-workers because the smell of all the different foods made me sick. I was very emotional, cried at any little thing, and couldn't even concentrate on my work, was very forgetful and absentminded. So, when the the results came back negative, I just about lost my mind. I still felt pregnant, yet science was trying to crush what my spirit was feeling from within.

The following Monday, I went in because I wanted the doctor do an ultrasound. She stood there and said, "Why should I give you an ultrasound? You're not pregnant. My tests are very accurate." So, I had to cry and beg her to do one. She finally did. She scanned me for about 10 to 15 seconds before abruptly shutting off the machine and saying, "Sorry, I don't see anything. Here's a pill to help you start your period."

I left that office very upset and have not yet taken those Provera pills and don't ever intend to either. At that point, I didn't know what to do. That night, I had a dream that an ultrasound was being done on me and it showed twins inside my womb. A few nights later, I had a dream that I was showing a positive HPT to my partner and bought 2 coconuts to celebrate (dream interpretation says that coconuts represent pleasant surprises/gifts being given and received).

Lately wherever I go, women ask me how far along I am or when the baby is due. Women at work began asking, "Are you pregnant?" when I haven't even shared any bit of this with them. In fact, I've been trying to HIDE my belly because I'm not sure of it yet and wouldn't know what to say to my manager if it came up. So, even through loose clothing, female co-workers have been noticing changes in me. I know it sounds unbelievable that I would be "showing" enough to where strangers are able to notice, but it can't be that uncommon for women who already have children to show sooner, and especially if carrying twins........

It is July 31st and I have been feeling so miserable and sick this past week. I have thrown up both at work and at home. I wasn't even able to go to work yesterday. I have barely been able to eat any good, solid food. Anything and everything makes me sick.

I have been reading a lot of posts where women say they've had negative tests left and right and are still pregnant. In fact, my mom's best friend had negative urine AND blood tests up until her 6th month of pregnancy. I have also read stories from women who were pregnant but were not seeing anything on ultrasounds that indicated pregnancy. Some doctors were SO sure there was no baby at all or that the baby stopped growing/had no heartbeat and tell the women to get a D/C right away only to find that a week later, with the help of ANOTHER doctor, baby's heartbeat was perfectly detected and D/C would have been absolutely horrific to do with a perfectly healthy baby! Is it just too early to tell sometimes?

If you managed to get to this part of my post, THANK YOU. I'm sorry I wrote so much! So, my question is....has anything like this ever happened to anyone? Have you ever been discouraged by doctors in your first weeks of pregnancy? Have you ever gotten a negative blood test only to find that you were, in fact, pregnant? Have you read about the "hook effect"? Since I'll have to wait a bit for coverage again, what should I do in the meantime? Keep going about my days as though I were pregnant? Take prenatals, etc... Follow my gut/intuition? What would you do if you were going through this?

Lastly, I have had no further spotting. No bleeding. No period. Nothing even remotely close to it. No feelings/cramps, etc that would even indicate that I'm getting my period. Since my son was born (3 yrs ago), I have had regular periods. They've all been more heavy than normal, but regular nonetheless. The reason that I never got pregnant in those years was because we were actually mindful to prevent it.

Wow, thank you all for reading. I just need comfort and support more than anything because I truly feel alone in all of this.

Good night!

Sorry to hear things are so rubbish :( sometimes I do feel quite lucky to live in the uk with free medical care. It's a lot less to stress about although the care can be very hit and miss!

It's definitely odd your period hasn't showed at this point... but also odd that you'd get an ultrasound and your doctor would lie to you! So you've had positive tests? Have you shown these to your doctor? Have you taken any more since? If so, have these been positive or negative?

I suppose there could be the possibility that you have just been quite poorly for a while and it's deleyed everything. I was pretty ill with a kidney infection in May and it delayed ovulation and therefore my period for over a week each. I appreciate your last is much later than that though!

I hope you get some answers soon and start to feel less sick. Must be miserable. Sorry I can't be much help but I don't mind listening at any time :)

It's definitely odd your period hasn't showed at this point... but also odd that you'd get an ultrasound and your doctor would lie to you! So you've had positive tests? Have you shown these to your doctor? Have you taken any more since? If so, have these been positive or negative?

Thank you for your response! It's nice to know that someone cares. Honestly, the female Indian doctor I saw spent less than 10 minutes with me altogether...ultrasound included...I showed her my positive tests and she agreed they do indicate pregnancy but said "MY tests are by far more accurate and if they show negative, then you're not pregnant." Which is when I asked....or rather begged for an ultrasound. She looked very irritated and said "Why should I give you an ultrasound if you're not pregnant?!" And finally brought the machine over, perhaps out of pity because I was crying at that point, and as she's turning on the machine, she says "I'm telling you you're NOT pregnant and I'm NOT going to find anything." Like I said, she spent about 10 seconds with the U/S wand and did not make an effort at all. Turned off the machine and that was it. I have heard from some women who have had to deal with very rude, impersonal doctors who, if THEIR tests are negative, honestly just don't even TRY to find a baby or even see what else could be troubling a woman down there. Honestly, it could just be the insurance. A friend who works for a doctor's office said that the doctor can bill the provider I have for a $150 visit and only get a check for $25.....here in the U.S it's oftentimes just about the money. I can't tell you how many times I've had my test results delayed by WEEKS, how many times I've had to call to follow up on results, etc.....it just sucks.

I suppose there could be the possibility that you have just been quite poorly for a while and it's deleyed everything. I was pretty ill with a kidney infection in May and it delayed ovulation and therefore my period for over a week each. I appreciate your last is much later than that though!
I honestly don't know what it could be, then. Yes, my period is later than that! I'm going to attempt to upload a picture. It would be interesting to see if anybody's first reaction is that yes, I look pregnant. Thank you again for your support. Kinda bummed that I didn't get more repsponses, even just like yours that are simply offering comfort. Thank you again. I uploaded 3 pics. The first was taken on the 2nd of July, the second was taken last week and the last was taken today..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 15
Sorry, I am new to this. I guess only one picture got uploaded. That is the most recent, from today. This one is from July 1st.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 11
Wow sorry to read your story. I work in a health system and I sometimes see how poor some doctors are with social skills and empathy for their patients and it's horrible. I myself haven't experience anything quite like you. I would go to a different doctor if you can. Insurance sucks for sure both for the patient and the providers. But even if it's not fun to deal with your doctor should do everything possible to get answers for you.

Personally of here was even the slightest chance I could be pregnant t I would go along my daily life as if I was to try to make the pregnancy and child/children's life the best you can. Good luck hope you get answers soon.

I'm going to play devil's advocate here so please understand that I don't mean to offend. There are really only two possibilities here, one being that you are in fact pregnant and the other being that you are in fact not. From everything you have described in your thread I have no way determining which it is. There are cases of women being treated such as you because the doctor is unable to detect the pregnancy due to extraordinarily rare circumstances. There are also heartbreaking cases of pseudocyesis or rather false pregnancy. The mind is so powerful.

I think at this point you need a second opinion from someone able to have a fresh perspective. I wish you all the best, to say that this is stressful is an understatement.

Well, you def do look pregnant but also perhaps too pregnant for where you would be if you were..? You would also surely be getting fairly strong positives :-/

Honestly, if you are getting negative tests or only faint positive tests but your stomach is that swollen, I would 100% go back to your doctor (preferably a different one) and ask what on earth is going on! I certainly wouldn't leave a swelling like that! I have a stomach condition that leaves me looking 6 months pregnant sometimes from bloating basically, I'd def get it checked out! It's not normal! Maybe a doctor would be more sympathetic is you went down the 'what's up with my stomach' route!

My only other thought is eptopic pregnancy? Don't they give faint positives? And would stop your period? Do you have any pain?

While I wouldn't encourage lying, could you potentially play up your symptoms a bit to the doctor? I occasionally do to get a better response outta mine! In May, I went with UTI symptoms but the test came back as negative for bacteria. The symptoms persisted and I was convinced they were wrong so I went back, said the pain was much worse (wasn't really) and they agreed to give me antibios just in case. Sure enough, the next day I started with severe symptoms and ended up in hospital... :-| they re-tested my sample and they did grow bacteria on the re-test!! So clearly my initial instinct was right :-/

Let us know how you get on!

I'm so sorry you are doing through this :hugs: I agree with bollz I would go to a doctor to find out why your stomach is growing. If you are not pregnant it could be something serious that should be looked at :flower: :hugs:

Thank you to everyone who has responded! I would be in my 12th week and this would be my third pregnancy....and my intuition leads me to believe that I'll be having twins. For the past year I've been having dreams of twins. It's never been a great big desire or dream of mine, like I know it is for some women, butt it would definitely be awesome! My father had twins. Twins do run on his side of the family. So, to answer one of the questions posted, I'd say that if I am pregnant 12 weeks and showing as much as I am, it could be due to it being my third pregnancy and the possibility of twins.

It seems that a woman's intuition doesn't get as much credit as a doctor's opinion or test, but I firmly believe in intuition! My favorite line from The Notebook is "Science only goes so far, then comes God"...... And I am reading on other sites more and more how women have been turned away because their tests come up negative and they're even pregnant with twins!

Yeaterday a friend called to tell me that she told my story to a coworker who said she has been through something similar. Her coworker went to the doctor every month for 5 months and they kept testing her AND doing ultrasounds and each time they told her "You're not pregnant." She was bleeding and passing blood clots the whole time. The doctors were aware of her fibroids but missed the pregnancy. Finally, in her 5th month, they did one last scan for her, in which they found the baby. Finally, they told her she needed to stop working and was put on bed rest. She still bled, or had what appeared to be a period, every month during her pregnancy. Her son is now 2 years old....and he was missed on ultrasounds and on blood tests for the first 5 months.

Really, anything is possible. But yes, I will continue to get checked because sooner or later something (perhaps a baby) will show up! I have to wait another 3 weeks (according to insurance people) for it to be activated again, then it's on to the next doctor!

Thank you all again!

Good luck keep us posted! Hope you find out some answers and have a doctor who listens to you!

Hello, ladies! I came back to update for those of you who shared your concern and offered support. Honestly, this is by far the most spiritual, faith shaking, challenging situation I've had in quite some time. I didn't come on here to prove anything to anyone, but I want to offer HOPE to those of you ladies who are not getting adequate care, are sent away by doctors being told you're imagining things, but are indeed pregnant.

I was finally able to see another doctor last week who said the ultrasound showed no baby. According to my LMP, I was 16 weeks at this check up. I told him that I have already begun to feel movement, that I have 2 children, both which HE delivered, and that I KNOW what a baby feels like. He could not offer me any insight. He just said he would order blood work and that we'd go from there. I know what you all must be thinking. Anybody who is thinking in practical, medical, or logical terms would believe any and every doctor and be done with it. My experience has been so unique that I have to trust my intuition and my body. I continue to feel baby rolling, thumping, stretching, etc...and have even used a fetal doppler as of a few minutes ago and can hear everything, placenta, baby.........so I have faith that God knows why this is happening....why baby is being hidden for the time being.......like I said, my situation is very different....I've literally had to hide this pregnancy from EVERYONE I know because it is unwanted, unaccepted and being criticized by all who I made the mistake of telling. I have been given nothing but negative vibes and feedback, so I stopped sharing what I've been going through. The reason I opened up on this forum is because I figured there would be women who have gone through something similar and could offer sympathy, support, or insight. My unborn probably feels all of the negativity and rejection and, like me, is trying to hide. It's all very spiritual and symbolic, in my opinion. But that's not something that everyone would be open to understanding or considering. But as long as I continue to feel baby moving about, and my body continues changing to accomodate him/her, I know I'm pregnant.

So, ladies, I encourage you all to trust your hearts, intuition and bodies! Go easy on yourselves...let your Higher Power take care of you during difficult pregnancies, and know that everything will work out for the best!

Thank you all. Here's an updated picture 😊

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 17
Not to be mean, I had something a bit similar in 2012. I was in my late 20s, and had faint pos. tests, finally after I would have been about 16 weeks along I was able to get answers. It was a blighted ovam that's where you conceive and it creates very little hormone and your body reabsorbed it. Took an internal ultrasound and a lot of looking to find where sack would have been. I also didn't know I had an undiagnosed kidney issue. 3 months later was pregnant with now 3 year old dd.

im very frustrated that my posts on his have vanished they were very long grr. Long story short, i had something very similar, including showing a bump and feeling fetal movement. It turned out after ultrasound finding to be pcos! And a large 3cm heamorrhagic cyst! Eventually it resolved itself but it was soul destroying i was utterly convinced i was pregnant. I hope for you you truly are :hugs:

Wow.... u defiantly have grown quite alot in that picture... im going with ur pregnant. Keep strong...please keep us updated.

I don't get it, the doctors are not doing anything else for you to explain why you do look so far pregnant? Even if it's not a pregnancy there is obviously an issue that needs looking at!

Hi again,
To the first gal who replied...No worries, you're not being mean! You're just sharing your experience. I'm glad that even after all of that you were blessed with a healthy baby girl! And to the other gal, I know all about PCOS and what it does to your body! I was diagnosed with it at a very young age. I remember having an ultrasound done in which they measured them all. I had more than I care to share, mostly on my left ovary. I was told by 4 different doctors that I was going to have an extremely difficult tie conceiving a child, that it would be nearly impossible if I didn't trying going their route. I declined everythinf. I even had cervical dysplasia and I remember being pursuaded into doing some sort of procedure that in the end I didn't do. So, yes, I can imagine it's soul crushing! For me to even be told time and time again that I'll have little to no chances of having children, I was shattered. But I didn't let that stop me! At one point, I went an entire year without a period. My body, on its own, finally had a cycle. And from that my daughter was conceived! After she was born, it was back to the pains of PCOS and irregular periods, but I conceived again! Last year I went in to see a new Ob/GYN and when he asked about my history, I told him my PCOS was severe but that I had 2 children naturally. He looked at me very strangely and said, "You had 2 children naturally? Well, then you don't have PCOS. Women with PCOS can't have babies and if they want babies, they need fertility drugs." Well, I don't know, but that's why I say miracles DO happen. I was all messed up and managed to have 2 healthy beautiful babies just by eating healthy, taking care of myself, thinking in a positive way, and praying.

More of an update.....I feel my baby move more and more each day. I am so visibly pregnant that anywhere I go, I'm always asked how far along I am or if it's a boy or girl. I've grown even more since the last pic taken. I wake up to kicking and when I lay back to reat after doing a bit of walking or work around the house, baby starts up. A close friend of mine was sittinf next to me and saw the movement herself. I even hear baby on the fetal doppler I have at home. I check every night, and she favors my left side.

I guess my 2 week wait will be turning into a 6 month wait. I went in to see another doctor recently and they had a hard time seeing my uterus on the ultrasound. But first, the machine powered off the minute the doctor put the wand/probe on my belly. He got it back up. Then, he places the wand on my belly again and AGAIN the machine shut off immediately. He said the image was unclear so he did a transvaginal. He said there were a lot of shadows being cast and that he wasn't getting a clear view at all. He said he wants to see me back. He sent me home with a box of prenatal vitamins and the works. I really believe the machine malfunctioning the way it did was a sign, a sign that the baby is still not wanting to be seen. So, I'm just going to continue taking care of myself and hope for the best! And I still can't get out of my mind, the story of a friend who kept getting negative blood tests and ultrasounds until finally, at 6 months pregnant, they saw the baby on the U/S and started giving her prenatal care. She now has a healthy 2 yr old boy!

For those of you ladies who are in the waiting stage, being calm and relaxed is much needed!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 12
Newage I have no experience or any advice, just wanted you to know that I'm a HUGE believer of intuition and spiritual beliefs. I'm not a Christian but my beliefs are big on following and trusting what your body and soul feels. Can't wait for the update!!

Hi again,
To the first gal who replied...No worries, you're not being mean! You're just sharing your experience. I'm glad that even after all of that you were blessed with a healthy baby girl! And to the other gal, I know all about PCOS and what it does to your body! I was diagnosed with it at a very young age. I remember having an ultrasound done in which they measured them all. I had more than I care to share, mostly on my left ovary. I was told by 4 different doctors that I was going to have an extremely difficult tie conceiving a child, that it would be nearly impossible if I didn't trying going their route. I declined everythinf. I even had cervical dysplasia and I remember being pursuaded into doing some sort of procedure that in the end I didn't do. So, yes, I can imagine it's soul crushing! For me to even be told time and time again that I'll have little to no chances of having children, I was shattered. But I didn't let that stop me! At one point, I went an entire year without a period. My body, on its own, finally had a cycle. And from that my daughter was conceived! After she was born, it was back to the pains of PCOS and irregular periods, but I conceived again! Last year I went in to see a new Ob/GYN and when he asked about my history, I told him my PCOS was severe but that I had 2 children naturally. He looked at me very strangely and said, "You had 2 children naturally? Well, then you don't have PCOS. Women with PCOS can't have babies and if they want babies, they need fertility drugs." Well, I don't know, but that's why I say miracles DO happen. I was all messed up and managed to have 2 healthy beautiful babies just by eating healthy, taking care of myself, thinking in a positive way, and praying.

More of an update.....I feel my baby move more and more each day. I am so visibly pregnant that anywhere I go, I'm always asked how far along I am or if it's a boy or girl. I've grown even more since the last pic taken. I wake up to kicking and when I lay back to reat after doing a bit of walking or work around the house, baby starts up. A close friend of mine was sittinf next to me and saw the movement herself. I even hear baby on the fetal doppler I have at home. I check every night, and she favors my left side.

I guess my 2 week wait will be turning into a 6 month wait. I went in to see another doctor recently and they had a hard time seeing my uterus on the ultrasound. But first, the machine powered off the minute the doctor put the wand/probe on my belly. He got it back up. Then, he places the wand on my belly again and AGAIN the machine shut off immediately. He said the image was unclear so he did a transvaginal. He said there were a lot of shadows being cast and that he wasn't getting a clear view at all. He said he wants to see me back. He sent me home with a box of prenatal vitamins and the works. I really believe the machine malfunctioning the way it did was a sign, a sign that the baby is still not wanting to be seen. So, I'm just going to continue taking care of myself and hope for the best! And I still can't get out of my mind, the story of a friend who kept getting negative blood tests and ultrasounds until finally, at 6 months pregnant, they saw the baby on the U/S and started giving her prenatal care. She now has a healthy 2 yr old boy!

For those of you ladies who are in the waiting stage, being calm and relaxed is much needed!

Hey there,

I'm new here but I just wanted to say that I really, really admire your intuition and belief in your own knowledge of your body. It sure looks and sounds like a baby to me. Mind-boggling that the doctors' tests aren't showing it, but BIG kudos to you for doing what's best for you and (I hope!) baby! I have zero information or help to add to this thread but I am proud to see another mama not being pushed around by the demigods in the doctor's offices. (No offense to any docs/med people on here...there are some really good ones, but also some really not-good ones.) I'll bet you have felt like you're going crazy. You can feel your baby from the inside, and you can pick it up on your own doppler, and everyone can see from the outside...but the medical tests aren't picking it up for some reason. That sounds crazy-making to me. I'm sorry you've been going through this. FWIW, I believe in you and baby. I'm so glad you're taking care of yourself and trusting yourself. We women need more role models who do that. Take good care. I hope you will still update us. When do you think your EDD is? I guess you're having to calculate everything on your own...so sorry!!! :(

I hate to be a negative Nancy but with what you say with the weeks and time has past you are waaay too pregnant looking for still waiting for 6 months until labor. and the amount you have "grown" in just a few weeks should be terrifyingly worrying to you. You should not be getting that big in just the first or second trimester. I would start considering that it could be something more dangerous that can cause the same if not identical symptoms as pregnancy...ovarum cancer or uterine cancer. I'm sure you realize this yourself but are convincing yourself it's twins or something else, but you really need to find out why this is happening and I know you want to wait for the health care but this could be something very wrong.

I know i'm not going to be like for this but I'm just putting the facts together and it just doesn't add up people. I don't want you ending up in serious harm because that would more damage the children you have and they not having their mother around because of something simple as not finding out what exactly is the cause.

Thank you all again for your kindness and support. As for the last person who posted, of course anybody would be worried that it's something terrible or damaging to my health. I would like to say though that I do have two children and know all too well what a pregnancy is like. I wish I could find pictures of me during my first pregnancy. You think I look "too far along" and I'm not even 6 months, well it was way worse with my first! Everyone thought I was having twins the first time around. I got so big and gave birth to a 10lb baby girl. Everyone in my family, girl siblings included, are all 6", brothers are all between 6" and 6"3. I just naturally grow big babies. And the father of the child is 6'2". And as I've said before twins do run in my family so it's not entirely IMpossible. I am pretty in tune with my body and I'm not in any pain. I'm not sick. I'll definitely continue seeking medical advice, but in the meantime, I just want to enjoy what I'm experiencing, stay calm and be at peace. And of course update soon with an ultrasound picture.😊

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->