Hashimoto's....

Khadijah-x

Reaction score
Hi all:)

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in 2011 after 2 first trimester losses. May possibly have been a contribution towards my losses. I have been medicated ever since and my levels are fine.

Now I am pregnant my thyroid medication was increased and my levels are still fine (t4 and t3) which is good. But now my antibodies (peroxidase?) are three times as high as they should be. This indicates I have Hashimoto's disease far as I know.

I am worried how this can affect the baby.. Google is a scary place so I'm staying off but would like some more information!

Anyone else diagnosed with hashimoto's or have more information about in and in regards to a pregnancy?

Thank you

I have hashimotos since I was 16 years old and had a baby and he's fine!! Nothing will hurt the baby from it at all! Your doctor will adjust ur Meds when needed and your baby starts producing it's own thyroid hormone at 12 weeks so it's not affected by ur disease anyways. In sorry for your losses but try not too worry! Many ppl have this disease and many don't even know it and have many children.

Thank you so much!!!! I had read some pretty scary things.. silly me!! My doctor did say there's a small chance the antibodies could cause hypo/hyperthyroidism in the baby but didn't say what that would mean. So it left me worried!

Thank you for your reply, you've put my mind at rest

Is r here any diet related foods you would recommend for lowering antibodies or avoiding?

Thank you

Just don't read the internet and you will be fine!!! lol.... as far as antibody reduction I heard 200mg of Selenium a day and a gluten free diet. I just joined a Facebook group on Hashimotos a week ago so I'm learning a lot from it. I just started to get pain recently so it never was a concern to me until now. My antibodies are over 1000 at the moment and I just recently found out so i haven't done anything yet. But I'm going to try the Selenium. next week. And I heard Iodine stay away from if you have Hashimotos and avoid soy. What are your antibodies at?

Just make sure you get ur blood drawn every 6 weeks when ur pregnant and ESPECIALLY after!!!! Because it most likely will go high for abit then go back low again. I developed Post Pardum thyrotitis with pain and still dealing with it but it doesn't happen to everybody.....Just LUCKY ME!! lol

And having antibodies in your body isn't causing any harm it just simply means you have an autoimmune disease. And I've Had hashimotos since 16 and I'm 29 and I just found out i had it lol so it hasn't really affected my life but being tired often lol. Millions of Americans and Canadians suffer from Hypo/hyper thyroid so its a very common thing.

And I also see your 11 weeks...>Well baby is gonna be making his/her own thyroid hormone around this time so ur fine! Stress is whats gonna make it worse....lol

Interesting.. thank you! When my bloods were tested a month before conceiving my hypo and antibody levels were fine. I had them tested again at 5 weeks pregnant, hypo levels were fine, antibodies were slightly raised but I wasn't told the number. Tested again at 10 weeks and the antibodies were 400 and something (should be under 100 I hear). But wow yours are over 1000! I hope mine stay as they are.. or lower of course!

I will look for that facebook page, it sounds very beneficial.

My levels will be checked every 4 weeks throughout the pregnancy. My pregnancy triggered the hashimoto's, and ironically the numbers I worried about (t4 t3) are fine, which is great. I will be seen again by the consultant at around 20 weeks, not sure what that was for.. to check all is going smoothly I presume.

Yes I am 11 weeks today, big milestone.. amazing! It's reassuring to hear the baby starts using its own thyroid now and won't rely on my dodgy one! I am still worried about the antibodies crossing the placenta, but the doctor didn't seem concerned and neither does anyone else so that's positive I suppose.

Thank you :) x

Nah I wouldn't worry....Im sure my antibodies were off the chart when i was pregnant, but they never bothered checking so it must haven't been that big of a deal lol...Good Luck!!! ::thumbup:)

I was diagnosed with hashi and it more than likely contributed to all of my mc

I treat them with steroids in pregnancy do dampen my immune system, I also take hydroxycloroquine now due to my 27w loss ,

I defo recommend gluten free, I halved my antibodies once I cut out gluten x

I had read antibodies can cause placental abruption, but the consultant didn't mention any of this. I'm absolutely petrified as I haven't been given any extra medication or been told how I can lower my levels!

I had to swap consultants to get the treatment I needed hun....

https://www.miscarriageclinic.co.uk/causes-side-effects

Scroll down to the bottom of the page, this is my consultants private clinic but I see him on the NHS

I'm Midlands based but travel to his nhs clinic Epsom to see him

Thank you! Also sorry for your losses.. can I ask, at the time of your losses were your t3 t4 levels okay but antibodies Hugh? Was it just the Hashi's that contributed or was it the hypothyroidism aswell?

My levels were in the 400's

They tended to focus on my tsh more, after my 3rd loss my tsh was 46! Your tsh needs to be below 2.5 all the time whilst pregnant

My levels were 600 after 3rd loss but came down to 300 after going gluten free

I also got diagnosed with high NK cells after my 6th loss so my losses were a combination of things hun

Some ladies do carry successfully with the antibidies

Do you take thyroxine?

Xx

Thank you Hope. Yes I am on levothyroxine and my levels t4 t3 have been fine since I was diagnosed and put on meds 4 years ago. Now in pregnancy they increased my meds by 25mg and the levels have stayed in the normal range. It's just the antiobodies that have raised.

Wow 46! I think it's the TSH levels that cause more of the problems than the antiobodies, as that's what the consultant seems more concerned about. If those spike ill be really worried but im feeling okay - ish at the moment. Still alot of conflicting information in regards to antiobodies in pregnancy so my mind is a bit neither here nor there!

My antibodies were over a 1000 when I was pregnant and I ave no problems what so ever. Antibodies just state u had an immune disease. You will always have antibodies because u will always have hashimotos

Thank you!!! Phew... its so worrying isn't it! I think it's the TSH levels that cause more issues in pregnancy than the antibodies. I lost both 2 angels in the first tri and I'm now past that gestational point so I'm feeling more positive. Yay for levothyroxine!

My doctor only tested my tush through my pregnany and nothing else....she never mentioned antibodies because its not a concern

Thank you! The consultant said the risk is so small of antiobodies passing to the baby that there's actually no point worrying about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->