Hating Hypocrites!

codegirl

Mom to Big E & little e
Reaction score
I really need a HUGE vent right now.

Background: I work for the government here and am a union employee. For the past 5 years I have had very good attendance and never a bad performance appraisal. I have been promoted 3 times in those 5 years and really thought I was doing well.

Yesterday I get called into my boss’s office for a “talk”. Guess there is issues with how much time I have taken for appointments over my pregnancy. WTF!!!! All of my leave time has been covered under our union master agreement. I asked if at any time I had missed any deliverables or if my quality of work had suffered. The response was “this is not about performance”. So what the heck is this about???? I was asked to see if I could try and book my appointments around work. Sure, that’s easy… hmm… I don’t think I have much option on when ultrasounds are booked or when Dr.s work. She stated that I have a 36.25 hour workload (that’s how many hours I am scheduled to work in a week) and that if I’m going to miss work regularly then we have to come up with “plan B”. I once again asked if I had missed any timelines or if my quality of work was in question. I also pointed out that no where on that timesheet is there a place to mark that I come in early EVERY DAY and work late if it’s required. I miss most coffee breaks and have been known to work through lunch.

I have never EVER in my life had my work ethic or my integrity questioned and I am PISSED. I have every right to this time off and actually the only rule I’ve broken is the fact that I don’t claim overtime. Of course, she always says that she cares more about performance and deliverables but obviously not!

I am now sending her a weekly spreadsheet of my ACTUAL hours so that she can see that I work extra all the time. (I also work from home when sick or if I get behind).

Funny how everyone is supportive until you actually NEED support.

Oh my god...that is soooooo illegal here. YOu have the right to paid time off for antenatal care and they have no right to comment on it or to insist you make the time up. Im not suprised you are annoyed!

Im with Carries, in the Uk you are legally allowed time off for antenatal appointments and your employers can't do a dam thing about it. I would be furious, especially if your wok has not suffered in any way, is there a union you can take the matter up with?

Oh my god...that is soooooo illegal here. YOu have the right to paid time off for antenatal care and they have no right to comment on it or to insist you make the time up. Im not suprised you are annoyed!

I must agree here too....your employers are bang out of order. See your Union rep:hug:

I am a member of the Union so I've documented the discussion in case this is repeated in any ways. She was very very careful how she worded the talk because she actually has no legal right to a) ask me any medical questions OR b) comment on approved leaves. My dr. appointments fall under general illness under the master agreement so I'm not breaking any "rules". It's a very dangrous line that she's walking. She does have a right to ensure that there is no impact to operations and that's why I kept going back to "have deliverables or quality suffered" cause thats really the only thing I can get nailed for.

This will be the third "issue" that has come up over my pregancy and I'm about ready to get the union involved. That can be a career limiting move so I have to be a bit careful on when and how I do that.

I really hate that she could tarnish an excellent reputation that I've worked very hard for.

Just wanted to send u huge :hug: huni I think that is shocking how they are treating u.

xxx

That is terrible! I think it is awful and I would certainly get your union involved now and have someone talk to her as that is completely discriminating against you.

I know my boss isn't best pleased about me taking off time for antenatal classes and mid wife appointments even though he hasn't said anything but you can tell it is a "pain" and "inconvenience" that you are pregnant.

Women get a rough time and can't ever seem to do anything right sometimes when it comes to employers!

Let us know how you get on good luck!

Definitely start a file on this with your union and even call Alberta Labour Board and get some advice.
She's harassing you.
Why the "talk" if you haven't done anything?
The documentation you're doing is good, but I think you need to start a case file and let her know you have.
She's being a bully, so fight back.

Definitely start a file on this with your union and even call Alberta Labour Board and get some advice.
She's harassing you.
The documentation you're doing is good, but I think you need to start a case file and let her know you have.

I've contacted the union to find out who my union steward is. No harm in a few questions, right? ;)

Good luck honey. I think your boss was waaaaaaay out of line, especially if your work has not suffered!

Thanks everyone. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one that this this type of treatment was out of line.

She's harassing you.

I've contacted the union to find out who my union steward is. No harm in a few questions, right? ;)

Exactly.
My boss made some weird comments about me being tired and stuff that sent me straight to the labour folks for a quick review of my rights. I just did it quietly, to reassure myself, but I was really glad that I had.
It all turned out to be fine, but I wasn't taking any chances. I'm the same as you - my work ethic and quality are very important to me. No one had better question those lightly.
And yeah, the hypocrisy - he questioned whether I would be able to "handle" my job because I had had to take time off due to a wicked sinus infection that I caught while on a business trip for the company - already putting in ridiculous hours, as you do - and this was directly after he took an entire week off for a chest cold. I was so angry.
In your case, I think your union rep will be able to give you really good support and info. Also, download the Alberta Human Rights Pregnancy in the Workplace pdf if you don't have it already.
Your supervisor will not screw with you if you know your rights and stand up for yourself.
Pregnancy is not a crime, dammit! It doesn't give anyone the right to punish you professionally. We worked hard to get those rights for women, so we have to fight hard to make sure they're respected.

he questioned whether I would be able to "handle" my job

This was also asked in our meeting. I know that I work in a high pressure job (we support Cabinet and an MLA committee and they can be pretty demanding) but it's not like I haven't already thought all that through. grrrr!!!

Can't say I'm "glad" that I'm not alone, but I really helps to know others are going through this and surviving.

Sarahkka - did you go back to your boss once you had the information from the labour people? Or is it just in your back pocket in case he says something else in appropriate?

I very sweetly brought out the pdf that I had printed off and said taht we had all better read it as I was the first pregnancy the company had dealt with and that we should know what was expected. I took the sting out of it by saying, "For example, I had no idea that I am legally required to inform you of my mat leave dates this many week in advance, etc".
I also sat down with him and talked through his concerns. I realized that in the end, he was really just panicked. I'm not easily replaceable as I have an unusual skill set, so he was feeling really worried about how to meet our programming commitments if I wound up with a horrible pregnancy full of complications. It was annoying, but when I saw where the stupid comments came from, I relaxed and was able to come up with a back-up plan for him that seemed to put him at ease. I think they call that managing your manager?:)
I did not tell him that I had called the labour board, as I was able to resolve everything. I was prepared to get them involved if he had continued down that line of suddenly questioning my competence due to pregnancy. I was very glad that I didn't have to do that.

I'm really shocked at the way you are being treated. As others have said in the UK you could press take them to tribunal for sexual discrimination. I really hope your union people help you sort this out. It's also a disgrace that going for your rights in that way can affect your future career prospects.

Your boss was out of line! If you weren't meeting deadlines or if your work was lacking, then your boss has a right to complain. But as it is, your boss is being awful!

Hope it gets better! :hug:

Thanks everyone. I've talked to HR and am going to bring 3 options forward to my boss. (flex time, banked overtime or reassignment). Depending on how that discussion goes, I may have to elevate this further.

I can't believe it's been almost a week and I'm still mad!!

I'd still be hopping mad too hun! Can you have someone else present when you're talking to your boss, just as an independent witness? x

Ugh, that would piss me off too!! I hope that you get it resolved :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->