Have any of you done genetic testing?

wonderstruck

Reaction score
My partner and I went to do genetic counselling just to see if there's anything specific we should be testing for, mostly from issues on his side of the family and we both ended up getting blood work for a couple things. Mine was because I have some Jewish ancestry, which apparently can carry risk of some severe problems... who knew. We won't get our results back for several weeks, and they wouldn't change anything but if there's something we should be prepared for or be looking into further we'd like to know. I was just curious if anyone else has done it and what your experience was.

I had it done when I was pregnant with daughter. My age put me at risk. The genetic counselor gave me a 1:11 risk for trisomy 13 and 18 and a 1:17 for trisomy 21. The results wouldn't have changed anything for me either as I'd never terminate, but I wanted to be prepared, especially if the results were either trisomy 13 or 18 as I wouldn't have wanted to buy a nursery full of things and then not have a baby to bring home, you know. My experience was a positive one. I had the MaterniT21 test and I got my results 10 days after the blood draw (the Friday before the Christmas holidays) The results showed daughter had typical chromosomes. When she was born the pediatrician noticed a marker for Down syndrome, and without the previous testing (which my pediatrician didn't know I had), I would have been worried sick and whatever else emotions people must go thru when they find out something about their baby they didn't expect. I know the results aren't 100%, but with an accuracy rate of, I think, 98%, I was fairly certain the marker was only that, and didn't mean anything by itself. And it didn't as daughter is fine. Good luck

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm really happy to hear your daughter was fine :)

When I had my NT ultrasound for my pregnancy in Dec 2014, they found issues with the baby. They sent us for genetic counselling and bloodwork and sadly I lost the pregnancy but it was because the baby was missing a large portion of chromosome 21 and there was no way the baby could have made it. That said, the counselling and blood testing was an amazing positive in an otherwise sad situation. The counsellors and doctors we worked with were amazing and our tests came back clear. It was just a random occurrence. I think it's so great you are proactively getting this done and hope it's a positive experience for you.

I had MaternitiT21 with my first pregnancy, and will again w this one if.I make it to the 9-10 week point. I'm also in the US with good insurance, and the test was covered 100% since I was over 35. I'm not sure what the policies are if you're younger. I'm guessing yours will be regardlesd since you have a genetic risk factor.

I had this test INSTEAD of the nuchal scan and blood work that goes with that. It is more accurate and precise than the NT, but unlike a CVS or amnio, poses no risk to baby. Getting good results from the MaterniT21 did give me great peace of mind. I would probably not have done amnio or CVS "just for the sake of checking" since both have some risk. If the MaterniT21 indicates a problem, they usually suggest CVS or amnio for a more definitive answer. If the results of the testing won't change your actions about the pregnancy, remember that it is YOUR choice how far you want to pursue it.

I did it and everything came back normal. I only had to wait a week too. I hope yours goes just as quickly and smoothly! Also, we got to find out the gender really early :) I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Yes I did the panorama test at 9 weeks. We paid 850$ and everything came back normal. We also found out baby is another girl xx

We have a panorama test booked for just before 11 weeks, darn christmas got in the way.

I had MaterniTi21 done because I am 35 and also because my OH is Jewish. It was very easy and non invasive and came back quickly. Extra bonus that you find out the gender early!

I had the cystic fibrosis test and the NT scan. My risk of any problems came back incredibly low. Either way, we had already decided against amnio or CVS. I won't do anything that will put this pregnancy at even the tiniest of risks.

I have a roberstonian translocation of chromosome 13 & 14, I have been given the chance to have CVS in all 3 of my pregnancies but have opted for extra scans instead as I don't like the risk with the CVS xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->