Have / would you taken newborn on long-haul holiday?

TrixieLox

Reaction score
Hi gals, I've sneaked over from the TTC section, I hope you don't mind :blush:

My bro's wedding is in Mauritius in June next year. I'm very close to my bro and his fiance so I'd like to go.

If I were lucky enough to fall pregnant in the next 2 months (we've been trying for 6 months already, argh!), it would mean we'd be taking a newborn to Mauritius with us (naturally, we will stop trying for a few months cos know I can't travel in 3rd trimester and wouldn't want to take baby out at under 2 months).

I read online 2 months upwards is fine. Anyone been on a long-haul trip to such a hot country with their baby at such an early stage? Bit concerned. x

Not the same I know, but we will be taking our baby down to Texas as soon as we possibly can after the birth (depending on when we get the birth certificate and passport taken care of). It's really important to me that my family see the baby while she's still little

IMO I'd expect it to be very difficult and poss unfair (on the LO) to take him/her too such a hot country!

Thinking of sterilising & making feeds etc (if not bfeeding) then there's vaccinations etc, and also if LO would be 6months + you'd be weaning so would have to find suitable meals.

xx

I went to fuerteventura in march, my lo was 6 months and she still found it hard; we all found it hard :( it was a 4 1/2 hour flight and the plane was so hot but to be fair the temp when we got there was comfortable for us all and she was oblivious to it all; but Mauritius is a 12-14 hour flight from the UK so I'm not sure I'd do that, even without a baby.

I personally wouldnt even take an older baby on a long haul flight. We're going to Costa Brava in sept, Oliver will be 10months, even then i'm dreading it lol. I personally just think it will be very hard and stressfull on you and the baby, but I know lots of people do it and cope so its your decision at the end of the day hun, but i couldnt be doing with the hassle. I've been to Dominican Republic and to Gambia- very long flights and i found it hard-that was without the baby lol.x

im taking summer to france in august and she will be 4 months old but we are going by ferry so i can take the pushchair on etc and its massive so can get up and walk around even go outside but i dont think i would take her on such a long flight tho.

My brother is getting married sept 09 in australia and we are very close but it does mean i will be flying with a 9 month old so im very unsure what to do ! I think im going to wait and see how i feel once the baby is here !

I wouldn't personally. Although I think if you have a newborn then the flight will probably be easier than with an older baby as hopefully they'll sleep a lot of it. Don't forget that you won't (unless you pay extra) have a seat for the baby so you'll have to hold it the entire time.

You won't believe how much stuff you'd need to carry for someone so small and they don't get a baggage allowance!

Once you get there it will be very warm with a newborn. It's hard enough over here with the little flashes of heat we get to keep a new baby cool enough but Mauritius will be pretty warm and humid at that time of year.

I know you're worried about missing the wedding, but I'd keep TTC and believe in fate. If you're meant to get PG and end up missing his wedding then that is what is meant to be.

Will he be having a party when he gets back?

I personally wouldn't do it!

too much stress for all people involved!

newborns need to have nappy change about every two hours unleast and when you are breastfeeding they want to comfort suck all the time!

and what if baby cries on the entire flight? it would stress me out totally!

if they are older (over a year) and you know them pretty well already, then yes, I would possibly do it!

we have the same problem, as we want to visit the grandmother/grandfather in Ghana, but there we also have the problem of malaria! (I am reluctant to give LO stuff to protect from malaria!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->