Have you put your baby into nursery?

jesstar

Reaction score
Looking for some advice based on your experiences of nurseries ... Am planning on going back to work part-time in October (3 days per week); LO will be just over 5 months then. I'm thinking of putting her into nursery 2 days per week, with my mum looking after her the other day. I've started to look into the options, but I'm really scared that I'll be doing the wrong thing.

The other option is asking my MIL to come over from abroad to look after her, although I'm worried as her health isn't great and I don't think she'll have the confidence to take her out and about.

I was wondering what your good/bad experiences were of nurseries for those of you that have used them for your babies at 5/6 months old? I could also look into getting a childminder although my concerns are similar (will they look after her ok, or leave her alone all day without stimulating her, will she have long-term social skills 'damage', will she ever forgive me if she's unhappy??? - mostly irrational fears as I know she won't remember stuff at this age ...)

I started my son in nursery at 5 months. He does two full days a week. He absolutely loves it. He gets excited whenever we drop him off. Whenever we pick him up there is someone playing with him, or they are all singing or storytime, they are always doing something fun.
They did a couple of weeks of settling in sessions where he would just go for an hour at first with me, then on his own, building up to three hours.
Even if I had the luxury of not having to work, if we had the money I would still send him to nursery.

My LO started at just over 5 months, he did 2 days a week for the first few weeks, the 3 and as of next week he will be full time. He seems fine, kicks his legs when we drop him off and is doing loads more than we have the energy, imagination, time or inclination for at home! He has done plenty of painting, been playing outside lots, been for walks in the buggy bus to feed the ducks, been playing in shaving foam, custard and shredded paper and generally getting messy! He loves watching everything that is going on in the room, he is really nosy, and far happy with lots going on around him.

I was really worried about him napping in a light, noisy room but they have really worked hard to get him to take regular naps (he doesn't just drop off to sleep when tired, fights it like a demon!).

This week he has to take in his favourite book as it is national book week.

I think it is important to find a nursery you are happy with, have a good look round and some settling in sessions.

Be ready for LO to pick up lots of bugs and stuff in the first couple of months, we've had a cold and a tummy bug already. Apparently it means their immune systems are much stronger later in childhood so they are much less likely to get sick at school.

My son went to nursery at 8 months, slightly older I know but I still thought I'd share.
I'll be honest I beat myself for months about him going but as soon as he started I knew it was the right choice. He loves nursery. I have no worries about him being there now and he's so sociable and friendly.
It's heart wrenchingly sad on the first few times of leaving them but they soon settle in.
Your lo will not hold it against you for putting them into nursery. Just as long as the time you spend with them is special that's all they care about.
If I didn't have to work I would still send my lo to nursery as I think they benefit so much from being there.
You have to do what's right for you and your lo. :)

Thanks for your replies, it's reassuring to hear your responses. I've made some appointments to visit nurseries this week and I think I got a bit anxious about it all afterwards. I guess I just have to visit them and see what will be best for her, and hope it all works out for the best :)

Thanks for your replies, it's reassuring to hear your responses. I've made some appointments to visit nurseries this week and I think I got a bit anxious about it all afterwards. I guess I just have to visit them and see what will be best for her, and hope it all works out for the best :)

Good luck! Don't forget that it gets easier after the first few times - I shed far more tears than LO in the first few days and during his settling in sessions. I was hugely worried as he is a challenging little man with the attention span of a gnat, permanently alert and very vocal! But they think he is fab, and he is developing really quickly. I did them pages and pages of notes about what he liked, how to help him off to sleep, eating, etc I must have seemed totally neurotic to them but I think they are used to it and it made me feel loads better so am glad i did it. I also think 5 to 6 months is a great time to get them settled, they are not too clingy and whilst I sometimes wish LO so much as noticed when I leave him with his key worker, I would much rather have no reaction than a massive screaming session every morning!

My daughter has been in full time daycare (8hrs/day, 5 days/wk) since she was 2 months old. She smiles at the caregivers and loves watching the other kids play. She's suffered no ill effects - besides getting sick once or twice - nothing serious, just seasonal stuff. She seems to enjoy it there and I've never wondered about her safety.

Good luck at the ones you visit :flower:

My LO went to nursery when she was 5 months old, she had been at a CM's part time since 4 months but that didn't work out.

She goes full time to nursery and did when she started as I had no option but to return to work. We have a great bond still which was my main worry at the time with her being so young but nothing changed between us at all. The environment really had and continues to stimulate her too and she has good relationships with the staff there and has made some friends now that she has grown up with from the baby room.

I would really hate to have to take her away from the nursery as she enjoys it so much!

:flower:

Thank you so much for your replies, I guess every first-time mum has the same anxieties. I'll have to wait and see if any of the nurseries feel 'right'. I've also contacted some childminders to see if I get a magical click with any of them which will make the decision easier!

I wont be putting lo in nursery, partners working and imat home with lo, i had my twins innursery when iwas working but they were catching things from the nursery, my sister had thesame problem her kids always getting things, so decided this time im not gonadoit, plus i love the time with her, i just couldnt do it.

We started Lucy at nursery about 3 weeks ago... I totally don't regret our decision to put her into a nursery (3 days per week) but it has been hard for her and us. The first day, she sobbed all day... the 2nd day was a little better, she would play a little bit but as soon as she remembered where she was, she sobbed...each day is getting better and her behaviour is completely normal. She eats foods there that she won't eat at home...(tinker!) they take her out everyday and she has been to the local museam, the park and even fenwicks to buy a book to read back at the nursery..

I get a daily report on what and when she has eaten, drunk milk, had her bum changed and whether it was wet/soiled etc and a little about the activities she has done that day and the friends that she has played with.... It love reading it when I get home from work.

It is really hard at first but think Lucy will come on leaps and bounds. Now the 2 weekdays that we spend together are quality time rather than quantity of time.

I did consider a childminder but decided that I didn't want another woman taking my place (I would be jealous)..I wanted a place that is structured and if there was a problem either side, it would be easier to confront/deal with with a proper nursery than a potential friend that would probably become of my childminder.... (my sisters experience)

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"