Have you seen/done the no makeup selfie nomination?

I don't wear make-up, so it's pointless me doing it, but instead of a selfie, I put a link to my Moonwalk sponsorship page which is in aid of breast cancer.

I got a donation because of that :)

:thumbup: I think this is amazing. X

I just think there are many more things people could be doing to raise awareness than posting a picture on facebook? The concept is just bizarre to me.

Im glad that cancer charities are benefitting from it though :thumbup:

I think its just getting the message out there in another way, and an interactive social media way - bet they are getting more £3 donations this week from the no make up selfies, than they would as a direct result of showing an ad on tv every few hours in the week!
Its about getting people involved - being able to laugh with friends at dodgy photos and nominating them to do the same! And then donating £3 for it!
Plus its nice that its a positive spin on nominating some silly fun, as opposed to the so dangerous nek-nominations that swept the world!!!

Yes it is fantastic that charities are receiving lots of donations but it is the whole selfiething that baffles me?

On my news feed there was a 50/50 split of people actually mentioning why they were doing the selfie in the first place. Half of them are posting pics with no reference to cancer or charity and are seemingly jumping on the bandwagon.

The whole thing started due to Sophie Jones who sadly died recently due to cervical cancer aged just 19 and the petition for Soohies Choice is circulating which is amazing and I have signed that myself and seen it shared soooo many times on facebook. That is truely raising awareness of cancer in my eyes with such a poignant backstory to go with it.

It is great that charities have had lots of £3 donations, Im so pleased, honestly. But it is just the actualy selfie thing itself that is bizarre to me :haha: As I said, with a huge number of posts on my personal facebook having zero reference to any good causes at all it just makes the whole thing seem like a fad for a lot of people with no meaning to it?

Just my opinion x

I think its just the latest craze - people take selfies before a night out, as profile pics etc (personally I can't take a good selfie, generally end up with just my forehead and the wall behind me - took 3 attempts this morning! 😝)
So I would say its just taking advantage of the latest craze, next year it'll be something else equally as odd, but hopefully raising as much awareness and funds, though I do agree it seems stupid if their posting with no mention of cancer awareness or donating!

I just think there are many more things people could be doing to raise awareness than posting a picture on facebook? The concept is just bizarre to me.

Im glad that cancer charities are benefitting from it though :thumbup:

I think its just getting the message out there in another way, and an interactive social media way - bet they are getting more £3 donations this week from the no make up selfies, than they would as a direct result of showing an ad on tv every few hours in the week!
Its about getting people involved - being able to laugh with friends at dodgy photos and nominating them to do the same! And then donating £3 for it!
Plus its nice that its a positive spin on nominating some silly fun, as opposed to the so dangerous nek-nominations that swept the world!!!

Yes it is fantastic that charities are receiving lots of donations but it is the whole selfiething that baffles me?

On my news feed there was a 50/50 split of people actually mentioning why they were doing the selfie in the first place. Half of them are posting pics with no reference to cancer or charity and are seemingly jumping on the bandwagon.

The whole thing started due to Sophie Jones who sadly died recently due to cervical cancer aged just 19 and the petition for Soohies Choice is circulating which is amazing and I have signed that myself and seen it shared soooo many times on facebook. That is truely raising awareness of cancer in my eyes with such a poignant backstory to go with it.

It is great that charities have had lots of £3 donations, Im so pleased, honestly. But it is just the actualy selfie thing itself that is bizarre to me :haha: As I said, with a huge number of posts on my personal facebook having zero reference to any good causes at all it just makes the whole thing seem like a fad for a lot of people with no meaning to it?

Just my opinion x

I think its just the latest craze - people take selfies before a night out, as profile pics etc (personally I can't take a good selfie, generally end up with just my forehead and the wall behind me - took 3 attempts this morning! 😝)
So I would say its just taking advantage of the latest craze, next year it'll be something else equally as odd, but hopefully raising as much awareness and funds, though I do agree it seems stupid if their posting with no mention of cancer awareness or donating!

I cant stand selfies at the best of times :haha:

It was a tough one for me this morning - but good cause and as I also added my just giving link for our race for life team hopefully it'll be worth the awfulness! 😝

no because

1. I hate selfies
2. I think it's daft and
3. I'm not a sheep 🐑

I did donate a tenner to a small, local cancer charity but I don't feel the need to post about it on FB because donating to charity is just a normal act for me and not something I do to display publicly that I did it.

I didnt do it because I dont wear makeup, the last time I did was over a year ago (I wear it maybe once a year max) and then I had to steal/borrow my eight year olds eye shadow :rofl:

I did however donate and I also put a link for my moonwalk :thumbup:

I didn't because no one wants to see my face without makeup!

I did however give a donation and that's what matters. I wonder how many put up a selfie and didn't donate!

I dont think that really matters, some people cant afford to donate. By them putting up those selfies it encouraged me and others who didnt join in to donate x

Just thought I'd post this...

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/uk-news/2014/03/19/selfie-windfall-for-cancer-charity/

Whatever you think of the trend, can't deny its helped a lot!!!

I don't really get it if I'm honest. Someone did put up a poster this morning which showed you how to check your breasts which i found 20x more informative and useful than seeing a person's face. I really dislike selfies anyway though, so Im obviously really weird and bitter..or something :/. I did donate though to the number that was on the poster.

I put up a selfie off LO, thought it would be a better choice than a selfie of me lol. I did donate aswell.

I just think that if even one person donates then it's made a contribution to a very worthwhile corse :shrug: so defiantly by no means pointless IMO :)

I think it's great tbh. It's doing exactly what it as supposed to, it's got people talking and donating. I think a lot people are likely to just scroll past a link to the cancer research page or information page whereas with this it is something they can get involved in and be a part of. When it comes to fundraising it is good to have something fun or a bit silly because it gets peoples attention.

I didn't do the no makeup selfie, and I also didn't donate to a cancer charity. However, what the awareness did do is to remind me to give something to a charity close to my heart, which is Motor Neurone Disease Association. So I posted a pic of my donation :)

I did it, and donated. I thought it was a great idea, it was quick, easy to do & a bit of fun. I saw a lot of posts where ladies who have been through cancer posted their scars and thought this was amazing, seeing a glimpse if what they had been through really made it hit home to me

I did it and donated. I think it's a great idea and am really pleased cancer charities are benefiting. My OH got nominated too but was told that as women are bare faced men had to be made up. This was the result :haha: He has taken some stick but he doesn't care. I'm quite proud of him :thumbup:

DSC_0415.jpg

I think it's brilliant for raising awareness especially if people are donating as well. I know people are saying we all know about cancer blah blah but it's got people talking about it and therefore more people donating. I haven't put up a selfie because I'm not a fan of selfies of myself :lol: but I have donated.

I did it but agree with others its only good if you do it and donate and tell how to donate. Which is what i did :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->