Have you seen/done the no makeup selfie nomination?

I dont think donating itself is bad for goodness sake. I just dislike the selfies, donation screen shots and nomination.

This, posing pics of yourself without make-up can be seen as:

- vain and asking for compliments
- bragging when they post their donation text (a donation should be a selfless act)
- pressurizing others to do the same

HOWEVER.....

- donations, even if you brag about them, are a GOOD thing for the charity concerned
- people post the text pics to prove to others that they have donated, and to show they are not doing the pics for vanity's sake.

If it brings the charities more money then Im all for it :thumbup:

Why can't things like this be done without having to show it on fb? I get its raised millions but im still not feeling it?!

Why can't things like this be done without having to show it on fb? I get its raised millions but im still not feeling it?!

I think the only reason it has been so successful is that it is a viral campaign relying on social media.

But noone has to prove anything :shrug:

I mean, that they are posting selfies for cancer awareness, rather than doing it just for vanity's sake. But yeah, people can do what they like on Facebook anyway.

Its hard to know what charitable acts are due to kindness, or have some element of vainglory attached to them.
Take me, I am doing the Great North Run (and possibly Race for Life if OH is off work). Am I showing off by doing it and donating money to charity (look at me, I'm fit AND a Good Samaritan)? Or am I doing it just for fitness sake, and the charity bit is on the side "bonus" of doing the race? Or am I doing it just for the charity, and the fitness/weightloss doesnt come into it as a reason? :shrug:

But noone has to prove anything :shrug:

But to be fair a lot of people are saying people are postng pics just for vanity sake, so maybe they are just showing they are doing it for a reason, and also encouragung others that part of the point of posting the pic is to raise money as some people do seem to have missed the point, probably innocently (although they are still contributing to the viral nature of the whole thing).

^yeh I know it is due to fb but the pic thing I dont understand lol.

Im doing walk the walk and i'm definitely not showing of my fitness. Its going to knock me for six like it did last time. I am doing it for my friends who have had/have breast cancer. The walk the walk is not just sponsorship its huge on checking yourself and overal wellbeing.

I posted a pic of my makeupfree face and my donation. I didnt do it for likes, or vanity. I did it because i wanted to encourage others to donate instead of just posting a picture. I chose cancer research because before my Grandads cancer attacked his brain and killed him, its the charity he chose to donate to.
I'm really struggling to see how ANY of this is a bad thing, donations are going in to all sorts of cancer charities, its been trending on Facebook and Twitter for days, people are sharing how to check for lumps or changes that indicate cancer.
It has raised awareness, its raised money. Its been a GOOD THING!

I have seen them for other charitys now and feel bad I cant donatr to them ALL yet if another takes off we will look selfish not doing so.

Yeah I fail to see how it's a bad thing. Fair enough if you don't want to join in, but saying those who have are vain and attention seeking isn't very nice. Most people that have shared a selfie have donated - which is evident by how much CRUK have currently raised.

The biggest marketing tools of this era are Facebook and Twitter. Absolutly the best way to get anything viral is to start it on these sites. I live the whole thing, I think its a great way to get everyone to do it and the fact it's not a huge amount just a set, small donation. I like it far better than 20 of my friends asking to be sponsored for race for life ect when you feel miserly just giving £5 but there's a million of them doing it!

The only thing I feel is like I'm being a bit patronising.. I was careful not to put 'oh my gosh I'm so gross, no one sees me without makeup' ect as I was having a lot of photos on my fb where ladies have no breast following surgery. I think if I was in their position I'd be thinking ffs is make up all your bothered about!!

Yeah I fail to see how it's a bad thing. Fair enough if you don't want to join in, but saying those who have are vain and attention seeking isn't very nice. Most people that have shared a selfie have donated - which is evident by how much CRUK have currently raised.

This is what I was trying to say earlier. Totally agree :thumbsup:

I have had people putting photos up of their race for life's and the like, along with their donation pages, I don't really see how that is any different IMHO.

I dont understand why you need a selfie though?

Why do you need to run? Why do you need to do a sponsored shave? Why do men get their legs waxed. Couldn't we all just say "this week i want to raise money for this cause" and ask all our friends to help? Its gets people involved who might normally not.

For me, I have interpreted it as being, for a lot of people, outside of their comfort zone. A lot of women refuse to leave the house without having make up on, it's their "safety behaviour" if you like. Imagine, if you were like that, you were asked to remove all of your make up, take a photo & post it somewhere where potentially 1000s of people will see it. It's not 'just' a selfie to those, it's actually a big deal. It has nothing to do with being vain, quite the opposite actually (of course there will be some exceptions to this).

Why do you need to run? Why do you need to do a sponsored shave? Why do men get their legs waxed. Couldn't we all just say "this week i want to raise money for this cause" and ask all our friends to help? Its gets people involved who might normally not.

True. Still dont get the selfie relevance though. I wouldnt call it brave. Most sponsorship are for doing tough or challenging things. Im not saying its bad. I just dont get the selfie thing and nomination to donate.

For me, I have interpreted it as being, for a lot of people, outside of their comfort zone. A lot of women refuse to leave the house without having make up on, it's their "safety behaviour" if you like. Imagine, if you were like that, you were asked to remove all of your make up, take a photo & post it somewhere where potentially 1000s of people will see it. It's not 'just' a selfie to those, it's actually a big deal. It has nothing to do with being vain, quite the opposite actually (of course there will be some exceptions to this).

^^ I agree with this, that is how I felt about it anyway. OK so not as big a challenge as a marathon, but a mini challenge, which when lots of people take part add up to a big boost for the charity.

I'm not usually one to follow 'trends' but having lost my dad to cancer 16 months ago and my uncle 12 years ago I have participated in the selfie and made a donation because it is for a really good cause. I will also be taking part in the race for life this year. I wanted to last year but was unwell after having my son.

Siiiigh I think neither parties are gonna agree on anything here :rofl:

I just saw a selfie where the woman was topless....interesting take on it I guess

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->