Have you seen/done the no makeup selfie nomination?

I think my rant got shared around, I have a private profile but whenever I post something a little bit controversial I seem to get friend requests :lol:
Must be getting talked about :winkwink:

With my picture I put a little fact about upper back pain being an early symptom. This is something I did not know about until I looked it up so felt this was a way of raising awareness, the picture will I hope have got peoples attention to make them read it.

I can see why some people may be critical of the 'campaign' as it is a little self congratulary but money is money and if its going to a good cause then why not? Let's face it, social media sites are full of people pouting every day anyway so they may aswell raise money why doing so.

£1 million in 24 hours is amazing

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/w...earch-charity-raise-1million-in-24-hours.html

That's amazing! And it doesn't include those who donated to other cancer charities.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...-awareness-internet-storm-donating-money.html

Daily Fail asks if its really bringing in as much money?

It also says Cancer Research had no idea where it came from.

I can imagine some selfie obsessed lass who needed a reason to post yet another selfie :rofl: Well, it done good!

Someone on my page posted a VIDEO about 4 min long and not once mentioned a donation and called it a "love yourself campaign"
Anyways I dont get it either....I donate to my chosen charities every year and thats what is for me.

If the Daily Mail is critical of the campaign then you know its a good thing lol. It would be nice to see similar ideas for other charities. I believe heart disease is the no.1 killer in the UK but its rare you see it highlighted.

I did it today, but I also shared the screenshot that showed I had donated online. I added the caption "don't forget to donate, as it is the whole point of the selfies after all."Someone on my Facebook then shared my photo of my donation, but to me isn't that just making it look like she's donated when she hasn't? :dohh:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 7
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...-awareness-internet-storm-donating-money.html

I can imagine some selfie obsessed lass who needed a reason to post yet another selfie :rofl: Well, it done good!

I believe that it actually started with something totally unrelated. It's been linked to the 'Dare to Bare' campaign that took place sometime last year but this happened more recently - https://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/mar/11/laura-lippman-selfie-kim-novak-solidarity - and suddenly everyone is wiping their make-up off.

I did it today, but I also shared the screenshot that showed I had donated online. I added the caption "don't forget to donate, as it is the whole point of the selfies after all."Someone on my Facebook then shared my photo of my donation, but to me isn't that just making it look like she's donated when she hasn't? :dohh:

Oh god haha

Yeah I did it and donated too. It's a great cause, it annoys me when people dint do it properly though a few of my friends have put foundation or concealor on.

Lol yes a lot of people seem to confuse 'no make-up' with 'light makeup/a bit less than usual'!

The awareness and money it has raised is great though x

I believe that it actually started with something totally unrelated. It's been linked to the 'Dare to Bare' campaign that took place sometime last year but this happened more recently - https://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/mar/11/laura-lippman-selfie-kim-novak-solidarity - and suddenly everyone is wiping their make-up off.

I love this quote taken from that guardian article, and I think that this is why the campaign does not sit right with me.

"The point isn't that I look good without make-up," said Mason. "The point is this is what I look like."

I like how much awareness it's bringing, I've been nominated FOUR times now, and I hate my face without makeup (I'm one huge spot). I will be donating and I may do a selfie at some point, depends on how I feel, I will advertise the number and why I'm doing it. I know my Nan, who died of cancer two years ago, would have a good laugh at me doing it.
xoxo

I haven't done it and nor will I be doing it. My opinion is rather controversial as I don't fully agree with it. I've seen some fab posts of no make up selfies plus a link or screenshot of a donation and encouraging others to do the same, or there has been important info posted that actually aims to educate. However, on the main, all my Facebook has been bombarded with selfies with neither of the above addition so I question what is the point? All I hear is "it raises awareness" but what is it raising awareness of? The fact that cancer exists? Unless information is added about how to check yourself, symptoms, risks etc, then I think the whole idea of it is just daft because I don't understand what one could be raising awareness of :shrug:

Like I say, I support those who are doing more than just posting a selfie but on the main it's all i've seen which leads me to believe that people just follow a sheep culture without actually thinking about it which leads to a falsified ego boost that they think they're doing something for cancer when reality they're not :shrug: i'm glad that charities are benefiting but overall i've just seen a lot of naive and daft people! or maybe that just says more about the 'friends' on my Facebook :lol:

I haven't done it and nor will I be doing it. My opinion is rather controversial as I don't fully agree with it. I've seen some fab posts of no make up selfies plus a link or screenshot of a donation and encouraging others to do the same, or there has been important info posted that actually aims to educate. However, on the main, all my Facebook has been bombarded with selfies with neither of the above addition so I question what is the point? All I hear is "it raises awareness" but what is it raising awareness of? The fact that cancer exists? Unless information is added about how to check yourself, symptoms, risks etc, then I think the whole idea of it is just daft because I don't understand what one could be raising awareness of :shrug:

Like I say, I support those who are doing more than just posting a selfie but on the main it's all i've seen which leads me to believe that people just follow a sheep culture without actually thinking about it which leads to a falsified ego boost that they think they're doing something for cancer when reality they're not :shrug: i'm glad that charities are benefiting but overall i've just seen a lot of naive and daft people! or maybe that just says more about the 'friends' on my Facebook :lol:

To start with i was against it for every reason you said so when i did i made of point of saying i donated and explaining to others how to do the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->