Have you seen/done the no makeup selfie nomination?

I hate the screenshot of how much people donated! Sorry!!

I don't think it's about how much is donated, just the fact that they did donate. As I didn't do the selfie, I wanted to show that I did do something if you get me?

I think anything that raises awareness about Cancer, or gets people talking about it is fantastic.

Lots of people on my Facebook yesterday were saying what's the point in taking a selfie, but the fact it has indeed got people to donate & talk about it means it is helping.

I'm all for 'jumping on the bandwagon' if it means someone might go and get that lump checked out, or if it makes someone examine themselves, or donate to a charity.

I'll be honest, it's annoying the crap out of me although it does make a change from some people's selfies of every new thing they try with their make-up/hair/pout!

There's no denying that it's raising money but it seems such a short term thing. It would be better, IMO, if it actually educated people about things to look out for or even how to support those with cancer... just something that means it's not just a picture of yourself.

I'll admit that part of what annoys me is that if you see something for cancer, 99% of the time it will be breast cancer. Sometimes it's like there's breast cancer and 'other cancer-who-really-cares-what-kind-because-it's-not-boobs'. It would be nice to see something like this for a lesser known but still deadly cancer, or just cancer in general with donations to Cancer Research or Macmillan.

And lastly, I don't particularly feel that posting 'terrible' photos is that sensitive to people who may be suffering with their own body image during or after cancer. "Wooo look at me I look so terrible with my non-puffy face, and my lovely messy hair" feels a bit mean to me.

Bitter? Me? No way!

^ I agree with everything you said apart from breast cancer lol. I think cancer research spends loads on advertising and also get tesco.

I 100% agree people should bloody do this stuff anyway and I totally agree with all you said!

I dont see why you have to 'prove" you donated. Ridiculous.

I'll be honest, it's annoying the crap out of me although it does make a change from some people's selfies of every new thing they try with their make-up/hair/pout!

There's no denying that it's raising money but it seems such a short term thing. It would be better, IMO, if it actually educated people about things to look out for or even how to support those with cancer... just something that means it's not just a picture of yourself.

I'll admit that part of what annoys me is that if you see something for cancer, 99% of the time it will be breast cancer. Sometimes it's like there's breast cancer and 'other cancer-who-really-cares-what-kind-because-it's-not-boobs'. It would be nice to see something like this for a lesser known but still deadly cancer, or just cancer in general with donations to Cancer Research or Macmillan.

And lastly, I don't particularly feel that posting 'terrible' photos is that sensitive to people who may be suffering with their own body image during or after cancer. "Wooo look at me I look so terrible with my non-puffy face, and my lovely messy hair" feels a bit mean to me.

Bitter? Me? No way!

I donated to cancer research. I wanted a broaded charity that helps all cancers? In the last year and a half my family have lost two people to cancer :(

People misunderstand that I dont think its a bad thing but equally dont 'get' it.

I personally won't be getting involved for a few reasons.

Why is it "no make up selfies"? Is this supposed to portray "bravery"? Hope not.

The peer pressure on Facebook to donate to a specific charity? I don't like being told who to donate to, or exactly how much.

I am a bit unnerved by the animal testing that goes on.

There are smaller charities that constantly are drowned by cancer charities. Are they not as important? Whenever I am involved in big fundraisers I find peoples first choices are things like Cancer Research, and it's not always neccessarily because it's something personally close to their heart, but because Cancer Research UK have the money to publicise nationally and it's the first thing on the tip of peoples tongues.
"Name a charity"
"Cancer Research"
And thats GREAT! but - small charities don't even have that resource to promote with billboards, posters, national campaigns.

Of course it's a cause close to my heart personally but I like to support the little teams that need it.

Charities may have a good cause, and aims, but not everyone has to agree with the way they practice. It's not uncaring or uncharitable, we're all allowed an opinion, but to see others on Facebook slate others for their beliefs and opinions peeves me.

So , no selfie from me. Because I don't want to scare people(with my face :rofl:). Because I don't want to be bullied into it by people who rant about "you don't understand the concept". Fabulous that everyones talking about it. But I'll donate to who and when I want to and not because of social media pressure .

Yeah I did it and donated too. It's a great cause, it annoys me when people dint do it properly though a few of my friends have put foundation or concealor on.

I also donated to cancer research and in fact everyone I saw on my Facebook did the same. The first selfies I saw said about raising awareness for cancer, not breast cancer in particular.

Rachel, whilst I see what you are saying with it being a short term thing, surely every sponsored event could be said to be the same. The fact is, it has raised money, it has got people talking and I've seen more pictures shared of what to look out for with breast cancer than I've ever seen before (as it has some how evolved to breast cancer awareness).

Of course it could be seen as not sensitive, but it could also make someone feel like people do care x

People pick and choose which is fine but dont promote how much you donated on fb. It's irrelevant and you dont have to prove!

Great points Sandi. I don't tend to donate to cancer charities (unless sponsoring a friend really although I am doing moonwalk), but I do tend to donate to Tommy's which I guess is one of the bigger charities.

https://www.anthonynolan.org/8-ways-you-could-save-life/donate-your-stem-cells

Doing something like this can really help!

Im pretty sure most people who have done this selfie thing have not made any donations.

I've not done it, might do later though. I'm really bad at taking selfies!

People are talking about cancer, checking themselves, booking smear tests. How is this a bad thing?

See I ranted about it on Facebook yesterday morning, and got mega backlash (including a few passive aggressive statuses aimed at me from people who really should know better, but it did make me smile). But what I was ranting about was how the 'campaign' looked to someone logging in first thing.
What I saw was a lot of make-up free selfies with the tag "this is for cancer awareness". And then a lot of comments saying "well done" or "you're so brave". Which honestly made me angry in about a million different ways. So I did a status that asked, what exactly are we supposed to be aware of? Telling us cancer exists doesn't make us aware, we are ALL aware because we have all been affected, in some way or another. Pouting into your phone and saying "this is for my nan" tells me nothing about cancer, it tells me you're a bit shallow.
But then what seemed to happen during the course of the day was that people who had taken selfies found themselves defending the campaign against us naysayers, and started spreading a different message, "look at what I have donated" or "see how you can donate". Which, while still rather self-congratulatory, was a much better way to go about spreading 'awareness'.

The whole thing still bothers me for a lot of reasons though. I've been labelled a whiner, infact I've had some pretty terrible things said to me for not being on board or necessarily agreeing with the campaign, but that's by-the-by.
Firstly - the notion that attaching the rather broad message of cancer awareness to the selfie trend is 'harmless'. Is it harmless? What I see is everyone putting another big cutesy label over cancer instead of talking about facts, talking about realities. I almost, for a bit of an experiment, made a status discussing my fears going for a smear test, when I last went, how quick it was, how comfortable I felt vs how uncomfortable/painful I expected it to be, and the wait for results. But honestly, after the backlash I got for sharing my opinion on the craze, I didn't want to bother.
It'd be interesting to see how far it got though, how many people want to talk about cancer when it's not all happy smiles and bandwagons.
Secondly - the idea that taking our make-up off is 'brave'. Well that just made me sad :(

Anyways, I could say an awful lot more but that's how I feel about the whole to-do. It's fantastic, absolutely fantastic that it has raised so much money. I just wonder how much awareness it has actually created.

Well said. What I want to say but put much better. I also got called selfish too! Xx

I got tagged in a rant by someone

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->