Having a hard time without my anxiety meds

Darlin65

Married with a Munchkin
Reaction score
I get so tense and restless. It is an intense stressful feeling that I can't get rid of. I get fidgety and very uncomfortable. Sucks that they can give you antidepressants but not anything for anxiety while pregnant :cry:

I get so tense and restless. It is an intense stressful feeling that I can't get rid of. I get fidgety and very uncomfortable. Sucks that they can give you antidepressants but not anything for anxiety while pregnant :cry:

I normally take a CNS stimulant for my Narcolepsy, its category C, and my research indicated that negative side effects were mainly from those on max doses and those that abused the drug....but i recently stopped taking it, and im feeling you...im distracted, antsy, and sleepy, all at the same time! ughhhh....sympathy hugs! :hugs:

I've taken a lot of different things and my lorazepam is the only thing that works for me. It's a small dose pill as needed. It just sucks not being able to have it.

I'm on citalopram which can be used to treat anxiety too, my doctor swears it is safe to use in pregnancy. I'm am weaning myself off it at the moment though :)

I'm on citalopram which can be used to treat anxiety too, my doctor swears it is safe to use in pregnancy. I'm am weaning myself off it at the moment though :)

I hate how much debate there is about these meds. I was on escitalopram before my bfp, and my pcp told me to go off cold turkey (my dose wasn't that high) when I got my bfp. I am too afraid to take drugs unless absolutely necessary right now but it would be nice if there could be agreement within the medical community about whether they are safe.

It's because they don't know enough about it. That's why my mw told me not to take it.

Look up tumeric. There was a study recently that showed that tumeric works as good or better than Prozac. https://www.livestrong.com/article/180170-turmeric-and-pregnancy/ It's only safe to sprinkle it on your food while pregnant and not good to take a full blown supplement, but it could help! There are also other natural remedies that are great for anxiety...

One of them that is amazing and that you can definitely have in pregnancy is beet root. I bake them in the oven and then have them chopped up in a little goat cheese and walnut salad. It's so good for you, and also beet root has a really relaxing effect. Every time I eat it, I feel like I've taken a light sedative lol.

Also, calcium and magnesium together help a great deal. I actually have a powder form of both that you put in a cup and then add a bit of boiling water to, stir until dissolved, and then either top up with cold water or cold juice so you can drink it right away. This one has the added bonus that it helps me with nausea because magnesium helps with morning sickness (really, nothing else, not even ginger tea, works as good as this for me) and it also has a great calming effect.

On that train of thought, I actually had a lot of anxiety years ago and I was given something called "Min Tran" by Standard Process vitamins that is basically calcium, magnesium and kelp. It's like the effects of the calcium-magnesium drink above, except that the iodine in the kelp offers even more of a sedation type of feel. If I took two or three of the large pills, it would actually make me fall asleep. If I took one, I would just feel really calm. It was prescribed to me by a natural chiro who prescribed it to people with stuff like anxiety, both mild and severe. It really did help. If you can find it online, try to get that, or minimally try to get the calcium magnesium drink (It's called Cal-Mag with vitamin c)

Hmm... if I think of anything else I'll let you know. Oh, one thing I do is lavendar aromatherapy. If you breathe it in deeply, the scent goes into your olfactory system and has a calming effect, as well. It's what some people use to fall asleep but of course if you lower the dose it won't make you fall asleep but will just make you calm.

And have you had your vitamin d levels checked? That could play a role. I was just prescribed a high dose of vitamin d because I was "incredibly deficient" according to my doctor. You just go to your doctor and ask for a blood test to check for it and they can give you a script :) Also, you can feel a tremendous amount of nervous anxiety if your vitamin b levels are deficient, so you should have that checked for, as well. Often times anxiety has nutritional deficiencies as its root cause.

I hope this helps! :hugs: If I think of anything else, I'll let you know! These are the things that have worked for me.

I hate how much debate there is about these meds. I was on escitalopram before my bfp, and my pcp told me to go off cold turkey (my dose wasn't that high) when I got my bfp. I am too afraid to take drugs unless absolutely necessary right now but it would be nice if there could be agreement within the medical community about whether they are safe.

I hate having to be on it while pregnant, but it's quite dangerous to go off it cold turkey hence I am weaning myself off it. Sometimes you just have to go with the benefits outweigh the risks. And I was in a pretty bad state before I had to go on them (never in my life did I think I would need antidepressants). I am terrified I will go back to how I were but I know that I have addressed my problems so I think my own risk of relapse is fairly low.

It's because they don't know enough about it. That's why my mw told me not to take it.

That's what my doc said...just wish they could do better studies, though i realize the difficulty with pregnant women. It's just strange though how some docs say go ahead and some say don't.

I am a chronic anxiety sufferer as well. I was medicated for it years ago but quit when I wanted to try and manage it on my own without meds.

The ONLY THING which keeps my intense anxiety in check now is yoga or some other form of exercise. I struggle with being active now since I feel so droopy and tired but it's something you might consider trying.

OH YES! And how could I forget? ACCUPUNCTURE. It does wonders for the first trimester sickness and most of all...ANXIETY! My accupuncturist specializes in pregnant women. It's totally worth checking out, you might need to try something like gentle prenatal yoga or accupuncture to help cope with the anxiety.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->