Having baby tomorrow at 36+2

DebbieF

Reaction score
36 weeks is considered premature, correct? I know 37 weeks is term and 40 weeks is full term. Have any of you had babies at this gestation? How did they do? Will he likely need any special care? My doctors seem to think he will be just fine, but I can't help but worry..

I had my girls at 35+1 and 34 weeks. They were both perfectly fine. Both fed well, breathed brill and kept temps and blood sugar was great but both got jaundiced and we're incubated under lights for 7 days. They were both able to stay on the normal ward with me and I was able to do everything for them. Not sure if it's just me as my older son also had jaundice but didn't need treatment he was born at 38 weeks, jaundice is more common in prem babies tho. They both weighed 5.10 and 5.4 too so good weights. I'm sure at 36 weeks your more than likely going to fine. Good luck xxxx

I had my baby at 35+3 and he was just fine.

He weighed 4lbs 10oz (he was long but quite skinny) and we both stayed in the hosp for 5 days. He needed a hot cot to help him keep his temp up at first and when we got him home I had him bundled up in hats and booties and mits for a couple of weeks.

He was on the cusp of needing treatment for jaundice (they had to do the blood test to confirm after the skin test) but in the end he didn't need it.

We didn't need any help from the special unit at all and he had a natural birth - although I had to do the whole thing hooked up to the baby heart monitor which was a bit of a pain. I assume you're being induced? The midwife told me that early inductions are often quite fast (compared to late term ones) as your body is aware that something isn't quite right and is already getting itself into "go mode". I had the gel at 11am, got a sweep and sent round to the labour suite at 6pm and he was here at 9pm.

I did have an issue breastfeeding as my body just wasn't ready, he couldn't suck properly and my milk simply didn't come in - but I don't know how common that is, it might have just been me. Either way, he was (and is) very happy on Aptamil and it made me feel better being able to see how much he was taking in.

He's now ten weeks and on track with developments for his adjusted age and has had no problems at all thus far.

Hope this is reassuring xxx Good luck xxx

I had Rohan at 36+5 6lb 8oz and he is considered premature by all medical staff. He was taken to NICU after birth as he had some breathing problems and needed the hot cot to keep him warm. He was also on anti-biotics and the phototherapy lights for 3 days. the first day and a half he was in NICU but then he was brought to my room on a portable billi light and they just came and got him when he needed his anti biotics then brought him back to me.

Some advice that i learned the hard way.. keep them away from anyone with bugs.. even just a little sniffle. my eldest were ill when we came home and baby caught it straight away.. he ended up very very ill in intensive care xxx

My first little girl was born at 36+1 - She stayed in hospital for 8 days, she had an infection which needed IVs and she also had very bad jaundice. She was a fantastic weight though at 6lb 4oz

My second little girl was born at 36+4. She stayed a total of 3 days in hospital, needed a feeding tube to start with as she had a very low blood sugar but within 24 hours she was fine

I hope everything went ok for you xx

Thank you for your responses, ladies. He just had some slight jaundice, but otherwise he was a perfectly healthy little boy. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->