Having hair dyed while pregnant

LeannieB

Toby and Sam xx
Reaction score
Hi does anyone know wether or not its safe to get your hair dyed while pregnant? I have googled it but read very mixed answers. Thanks in advance x

My understanding is not until towards the end. Having said that, I know people that did it thoughtout and all was fine.

Don't lock yourself in a small, unvented room and you'll be golden. I always try to use organic dyes too. Most hairstylists have them now as options.

Like many things in pregnancy, it is a matter of frequency. If you are bleaching your hair monthly or bi-monthly, you will want to opt for a gentler alternative, like a dyeing rather than stripping them dyeing. This is what my midwife says, at least. :) And my OH, who is an OB. :)

Nothing wrong at all with dying hair, the only concern could be because hormones change and the dye just doesn't take as well. Bleach blonde highlights every two months here.

it is ok to dye your hair as long as it is in a well ventilated space. There is a chance that the color wont turn out the way you want it to due to the hormones in your body messing with the chemicals.

It is okay. I have known many hairstylist and they still work while pregnant and their children are all fine. I think there may be some chemicals you wouldn't want to be using without proper ventilation but other than that I don't see any problems.

Nothing wrong at all with dying hair, the only concern could be because hormones change and the dye just doesn't take as well. Bleach blonde highlights every two months here.

This is what my OB says as well.

It's not dangerous at all. I done it in all my pregnancies. Hormones can change hair and the dye might not take properly. I've had a few issues with my hair not being the colour I wanted so I just re-dyed it a few days later.

I've dyed my hair all through this pregnancy with no ill effect.

I do, however, know someone who used their usual dye whilst pregnant and it came out the wrong colour plus a vast amount of hair fell out. Do a strand test and a patch test!

Anybody know if it is a problem if you have a slight allergic reaction to the dye? It didn't take very well the first time so I put another on but didn't realise until after it was a different one and hadn't done a patch test. My head is quite itchy, sore and my eyes sting a little about 8 hours after dying.

It's probably because you have processed your hair twice in 8 hours, the minimum you should wait is 4 weeks to reduce the chance of damage to your hair and scalp. Sure we've all done it though!

If it feels itchy it should go in a day or two, but try coconut oils on your scalp in the meantime. If you start to swell anywhere or are in pain, that's an allergic reaction, and you'll need to see the GP asap

Opps I should know this really. Thanks I'll definitely be leaving it alone for a while now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->