Having issues letting my body do its thing

jalilma

Reaction score
I am 6 weeks today and am kinda in a funk. I have always worked out... Hard... 5-6 days a week.. It's like my antidepressant. However the last 3 weeks I have totally been a slacker... Not for lack of trying. I am just so depleted of energy after a 10 hour work day that I can hardly get dinner on the table and nightly chores done before falling into bed. I have managed some low energy prenatal type workouts but that's IT! I am so struggling with giving in and just letting my body dictate how much I can do and when because honestly I'm scared of getting flabby and being unattractive to my boyfriend (although he vehemently assures me that won't happen). I guess I have a poor body image right now because I'm looking a little fluffy and bloated and not "pregnant". Also pregnancy hormones probably aren't helping my outlook. Sorry I just had to vent for a second.

I completely feel your pain! Nine weeks along and the only thing I can manage the past 4 weeks is walks. The best advice I was given was to treat myself like I would my best friend. Would you tell your best friend she is still beautiful and doing a great job getting through the hardest trimester? Of course you would! Those negative thoughts still sneak in, but less and less. I realized the other day this might be the only time I have to rest for a long time...and I'm pretty sure most of us are going to feel good again in the 2nd trimester, which will be busier than ever with putting together a nursery and getting back into exercise and eating well again. Just try to treat yourself gently and remember that what you are doing right now is AMAZING! :hugs:

Totally agree with biscuits, that's a good way to put it, treat yourself like you would your best friend.

I know what you mean about it being your antidepressant. I'm having a hard time getting through the days right now, not so much physically but mentally. An intense workout would normally be my way to refocus my mind and center myself. But I'm not allowed. Nothing strenuous, basically nothing at all, accept walking (which does NOT have the same affect lol)

But your body is SO busy right now, you have to give it a break. I guess in a way it's sort of doing it's own... very new... exercises. And when you work out muscles that have never been worked out before... it's exhausting!!!

But you're not alone! You'll get through it though! Hang in there.

Thank you ladies so very very much... Got a little teary. Hahaha.

Tell me about it! Before this pregnancy I was a competitive crossfitter and was working out 5-6x a week doing extensive physical conditioning. I was in TOP shape. 6 weeks came and I was hit hard with HG ( severe vomiting and nausea) which landed me in hospital dehydrated for days. Then I started mildly spotting and have been put on rest. I haven't worked out in 4 weeks!!!! Longest ever. I feel disgusting. I look gross and already gained weight... Nothing I can do about it. Imagine, it took me 2 years to get to competitive level cross fitting and I literally worked my ass off to transform my body and now it's all been for nothing as I likely won't be able to work out the rest of this pregnancy. I just feel like shit every day and don't have any energy at all to just do daily routine let alone Crossfit and weight lifting. I feel your pain ...my plan was to workout my entire pregnancy and be the poster of Heath. Yeah. There goes that!

When I fell pregnant, I wanted to do yoga and strength training every day! (that's my motif when it comes to exercise) Like PP said 5 or 6 weeks came and BOOM! Morning sickness, fatigue, you name it. There was no way in hell I was going to work out.

You can't be mad at yourself because your body is adjusting to this pregnancy the way it is supposed to. It may not look like you are doing a lot, but you are expending a LOT of energy just making the baby and placenta at this stage. Its crucial that you conserve it as much as you can.

If you watch your diet and eat as healthy as your aversions/cravings will allow, you should be okay. I hardly exercised at all in my pregnancy thus far and I have gained weight steadily and don't look like I'm FAT, just pregnant. I wish that I had the muscle tone I used to and can move around with more ease, but I am PREGNANT.

There are some things that just are part of the job description: gaining weight in butt and legs to support baby in belly, fatigue from making baby 24/7, etc. I tell my OH I feel fat all the time and he (and everyone else) reassures me that I'm not fat, I'm making a baby and my body is putting on the pounds where it needs to.

Just as long as you don't over eat and eat enough of the right things, you might be able to find yourself energetic enough to exercise lightly. Try not to let it get to you or your self-image. You are a beautiful mama making a beautiful baby! Enjoy resting, you might not get this for a while

<3 <3 :hugs: :hugs: :flower:

Laila... Yes that was going to be me too.... Kick pregnancys ass and keep up with as much as my normal routine as possible. Not going to be the case apparently!
Daisy... Yes I am determined to keep to my normal diet as much as possible which is pretty clean with lots of produce. So I'm hoping my cravings stay pretty in that frame.. (although I do have a thing for pickles at the moment). I'm going to do what I can even it if feels lame and let my diet help me with keeping my weight gain under control.

One more thing, try not to focus on weight. I know it's hard but I gained 75 pounds for my first and 65# for my second and I'm slim to start. No matter what I ate the weight piled on. After I had my kids I lost it all with diet and exercise. It all comes off in the end so just focus on a healthy baby. That's my plan!

Yes what Laila said. It can be genetics, my mother gained 100 lbs delivering her first and by the time she left the hospital she was 50 lbs lighter. Water retention/swelling can have a lot to do with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->