He is wide awake and always hungry!

sweetsammi

1st time mummy and WTT
Reaction score
Ok. So for the past 3 days we have been fighting with Oliver trying to get him to sleep! We put him down and he simply moans and groans really loud until we give him a cuddle. Finally he falls asleep in our arms and we put him back in his crib..and he wake up and screams! When he does finally settle, he only sleeps for an hour before waking up wanting a feed- bearing in mind he only had 3 ounces an hour ago!

3 ounces doesnt seem to be enough for him either..He'd quite happily take 4, maybe even 5. But he's only 16 days old and a little baby i dont wanna over feed him. I cant give him 4 ounces every hour, he'll be huuuge! Not to mention we need to sleep. Whats going on with him? x

I was going to make a post like this. It seems to be one slot in the day for us which is any time from 1am *why not pm lol*! Its a real screamin match I hate it I feel so helpless and wonder when it can go on like this for 1-2-3 hours if shes ok. Same as you if we put her down she wakesup again and we're wondering what thats about since she was zonked only 30 seconds ago! Surely she can't be hungry!

Noticing she is finishing 3oz no prob now, at first 1oz was a struggle and wondered if I was ok to top her bottle to 4oz. I have HV tomorrow so was going to ask her that part but have wondered if the screaming fit is normal.

My advice girls would be if they are draing the bottle, top it up to 4oz, its better for them to leave a little bit IMO
Every baby is different and you have to just sometimes use your own judgement and sometimes the every 4hrs etc.. goes straight out of the window
I went through a stage with jack where he was wanting 3-4oz every 2hrs or so
There is plenty of time to get into a routine with the feeding :)
good luck hunnies and just do what you feel is right

SweetSammi you won't overfeed him hun, they will only take what they need, Jack was a right greedy little bugger but is a slight little boy not over weight at all
The weight wil pile on more with weaning etc....

Juleika does this falling asleep and once in the cotbed waking up after ten minutes again as well!

then either hard-core-swing-rocking of daddy or comfort sucking on mummy!
she keeps us awake over a long stretch at night by this!

I think this possibly (hopefully) will settle.

as well Juleika is eating like a horse! sometimes I have her on for an hour and she sucks happily through!

in the beginning I think better to much than to less and it is good that they eat!

but I also wonder??? how can she eat so much??? where does this all go???

If he wants more milk give it to him. When Bethanie was a month or so old she woke up in her sleep and was sick, so she panicked.. we took her to the doctors on NHS Direct's advise just to check all was fine! we were treated like shit by some of the paediatricians and told that we were overfeeding her because we gave her an ounce or two of milk "too much" when she had been asleep from about 10pm-7am lol.. we just ignored them and carried on what we were doing, now she is a healthy, happy little girl. You know your baby, if you want to give an extra ounce, do it..

Bethanie always woke everyone 1-3 hours, thats normal for a lot of newborn babies I think. Sometimes they just like a cuddle though! remember he has been in your womb all that time, he probably just doesn't want to be alone. Bethanie has always been a really light sleeper and starts crying even now if we put her down when shes asleep, so I feel for you there!

All sounds normal and fine though, so don't worry and im sure it will pass. :) oh and btw I forgot to say, a general guide to milk amounts is 2 1/2 oz of milk per lb of babyweight (daily amount).

And, as I'm sure most moms here will tell you, babies also slow down their eating at different times too. I noticed that DD was going through these huge growth spurts about every 4-6 weeks the first year and I'd have to increase the amount of food she was getting. So don't worry, and let your son tell you what he needs :)

Oh since this last time we seen HV she said they have growth slurts and one is due any time which last 24-48 hours :D

Growth slurts lmao

Those little bubbies literally grow overnight.

:dohh:

Ill leave it like that or you'll look silly :rofl: Mind thats better than me looking silly :rofl:

I totally agree with Jo.....

Alfie ate very little to start, then he ate regular but little. the he wanted more but fewer feeds. We were always made to feel bad for how we fed him, but as I kept telling the stupid so called proffessionals, we are feeding on demand, not waking him every 3-4hrs and feeding him what you tell us....that is not on demand, he is fed when he is ready for whatever amount he wants to feed! As Jo said, they do not overfeed, they stop when they have had enough!

I mean fgs Alfie is a big baby, I don't mean fat as he is all in proportion (head, height, weight), but he is 10 months old and he is a size 4 in shoe which we obviously can't get as they are hard bottoms, so we have to buy booties that are for 18-24months! He would be all skin and bone if I fed what I was advised. x

Hmm im really confused now...Oliver is eating more and more and sleepin less and less! He'll take 4 ounces then be awake for hours. When we do get him to sleep he only sleeps for an hour or so then takes another 4 ounces!! Then hes sick and i dont just mean a little bit of dribble- He projects it!! Im really worried (and extremely tired) surely i cant feed him 4 ounces every hour or so!? How can he possibly still be hungry? I have to let him have it cus he doesnt stop crying otherwise no matter how many cuddles he has :( xx

if u put him down to sleep, do u swaddle him?

(wrap him into a baby blanket, with his arms wrap up!)

they often wake up by moving their arms whilst sleeping.

if he wakes up, looks like he wants to eat for comfort?

and perhaps he is overtired as he gets too less sleep and this makes him even more restless.

is just my guess!

ps: I am also feeding on demand, but I read that you should feed them unleast every four hours as otherwise they can get dehydrated and as of dehydration they get tired and then they will be too tired to eat properly.

so, I am always looking that we do not go longer than four hours without a feed.

if u put him down to sleep, do u swaddle him?

(wrap him into a baby blanket, with his arms wrap up!)

they often wake up by moving their arms whilst sleeping.

if he wakes up, looks like he wants to eat for comfort?

and perhaps he is overtired as he gets too less sleep and this makes him even more restless.

is just my guess!

ps: I am also feeding on demand, but I read that you should feed them unleast every four hours as otherwise they can get dehydrated and as of dehydration they get tired and then they will be too tired to eat properly.

so, I am always looking that we do not go longer than four hours without a feed.

We tried swaddling him..it only helps for a short time though :( yeah i figured he is comfort eating..but why and how do we stop it? :( x

Colic? maybe he is just very windy, does he seem in pain??

No he doesnt seem in pain. uncomfortable perhaps if anything. We already give him colic drops cus we thought the same. But hes just gettin worse :( x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->