Head butting / violence / tantrums

Hayley90

Complete
Reaction score
Hey girls,

Just wondering if any of your 1 - 2 year olds (particularly those younger than 18mo) have ever headbutted things in anger/frustration or for apparently no reason?

Harrison does this ALOT. For example, if he is told off, or something is taken away, he will drop to the floor and headbutt. Doesnt matter if its carpet, concrete or wood, he will hit his head so hard, he has bruised :(

He does it in public, at home, at my mums house, and if he cant get to the floor he will just wriggle and wrestle until he lands in a heap on the floor and then will headbutt.

Im just wondering if this could be considered 'normal' at any stretch of the word, or if i am indeed needing to speak to the HV about the remarkable similarities between Harrison and his Dad, who has autism, and did the exact same thing.

thanks girls xx

It's probably worth talking to the HV to see what they say.

I honestly don't know if it's 'normal' or not. My DS did used to hit himself if i'd told him off but this was when he was 2 1/2 - 3 years ish and it was just frustration at not knowing how to deal with the situation.

my brother used too do this, under are floor was straight concrete (no floor boards) she was so worried she contacted the HV too let her know incase he did seriously hurt himself and they thought child abuse

anyway, it turned out, his was too do with food, mainly a preservative in food that I believe is actually banned in america but not here, it would make him react crazy when he didn't get his own way

either way hun I'd let the HV know, just too cover your own back if nothing else and they can help you look into possible causes

:hugs:

I'm not sure if it is 'normal' toddler behaviour or not but Daisy does something similar, although she's a bit older. Daisy hasn't headbutted but on a few occasions she has stuck her fingers down her throat and made herself choke out of pure anger and frustration in the middle of a tantrum. She's never ever seen anyone do this anywhere so I have no idea why she does it.

my brother used too do this, under are floor was straight concrete (no floor boards) she was so worried she contacted the HV too let her know incase he did seriously hurt himself and they thought child abuse

anyway, it turned out, his was too do with food, mainly a preservative in food that I believe is actually banned in america but not here, it would make him react crazy when he didn't get his own way

either way hun I'd let the HV know, just too cover your own back if nothing else and they can help you look into possible causes

:hugs:

I hadn't really thought about this when i was first replying but now that you've said it it's brought to mind the fact that both DS and my eldest niece saw homeopathic doctors to do with their behaviour and basically we were told to cut out various e-numbers. This did actually help to get rid of a large amount of the aggression. DS still gets aggressive if he's had a large amount of certain e-numbers

the preservative that effected my brother was sodium benzoate which is actually a e number/linked with an e number (E211)

he grew out of it over time :)

DS used to bang his head against a wall, but it was done as a testing thing not in a tantrum?

DD throws herself on the floor in true tantrum style.

It may be worth just having a chat with HV even if it just reassures you :shrug:

Aiden does it if i tell him off or he bites a toy if he cant do it (blocks etc ) but never peoplexx

I think it's mainly a frustration thing, and if he's at home you could put him somewhere soft till he comes out of it - a bit more difficult in public but maybe just try and make sure he doesn't hit the floor/ground and hold him till he comes out of it. Charlie used to bite himself in a temper sometimes, but it never lasted long and he's grown out of it now :flow: Maybe speak to your HV/GP to put your mind at ease - I've heard of a lot of toddlers doing this so hopefuly he'll grow out of it too x

Yes, my dd went through a phase and still does occasionally headbutt things like doors when she gets really frustrated. More so when we tell her she can't have something or let her have her own way. Touch wood she hasn't done it for a while. I did speak to my mum about it and my mum has seen her do it as well and told me that both me and brother did this and she said it's down to them being frustrated at either not being able to express themselves or it's the only way they know how at the time vent their frustration. I was going to mention it to my hv, but she's stopped doing it (for the time being).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->