Head size???

embeth

Mum to 4 perfect children
Reaction score
What are/were your Los head size/centiles? Maybe I'm looking or things to worry about I don't know But my little mans head is now just off the chart for how big it is!! It was 75th centile and 36.5 at birth jumped to 41.6 and nearly 99th centile at just under 8 weeks and i measured it today at just over 44cm!!!!! Is this ok??

Rylee's has always been off the charts. At her 12 month it has jumped to 99th percentile. So long as weight and length are proportionate (meaning they're also in the 90th percentile range) don't worry about it. Proportion is what is most important, at least that's what Rylee's doctor tells me.

My youngest's HC jumped from 25th to 91st! However all my others started off on the 75th or above and jumped at least one centile at some point so it just runs in the family, in length and weight they tend to be just above the 50th in both but my GP who used to be a paediatrician is not concerned at all as again all my others had similar top-heavy proportions xx

Ellie's has always been off the chart since birth. Both me and her dad have botg got big heads! She's only 75th centile for weight and height.

My girls have both got big heads (98th centile.)
Both are 50th for weight and 75th/91st for height. They just have big heads! Full of brains ;)

Thanks everyone :) I don't know why i have started to think about this ;/ he is a big boy anyway.. 16lb11 and on the 91st for his weight and height. My two older boys heads are big looking at their red books one went from 25th to 91st centile by 6 weeks no one mentioned anything he is fine. Just freaked me out he has gone off the chart i think!!

99th... he has a big heed.

Ds1 flitted between 2nd & 9th percentile so for weight & height. Head circ was always 98th plus. Nobody was particularly concerned. He never fit in newborn or 0-3 hats! He is now 4 and his current fave hat is tight - it's aged 6-8, he's had it a few years. He can borrow hubby's hats without looking ridiculous. We do occasionally have to take clothes back as we can't get them over his head! Bizarrely I was induced because amongst other things his body measurements stopped growing about 37weeks but his head measured 41weeks.

Ds2 was bigger 98th percentile, now about50th. His head was about 75th percentile but as he has dropped percentiles his new head percentile is about 95th.

Thanks all. Just hope it slows down a bit :/ bless him such a little
Chunk! Do they even measure their head again at later checks? (Uk) I'm
Not sure I remember my older two ever having it measured after the initial 6/8 weeks check
Xx

no they tend not to unless you can see head is measuring abnormaly big. my ds was 11lb 2 at birth and now is 21lb at 13wks so he is v big anyway

Thanks all. Just hope it slows down a bit :/ bless him such a little
Chunk! Do they even measure their head again at later checks? (Uk) I'm
Not sure I remember my older two ever having it measured after the initial 6/8 weeks check
Xx

Generally not

They measured DS1s a lot early on because it was big! But it stayed on its high percentile from 3weeks. They measured at the 1yr check because I was going through a bad phase of not being able to get clothes over it - he was still wearing 3-6 or 6-9monty stuff (max) at 1yr.

They measured DS2s because I was curious and asked.

FWIW DS1s head doesn't look massive till you try and put a hat in him! Finding a bike helmet took ages! He ended up with one from the teen range!

95th at birth (25th for weight and height) - the HV worried me by saying she had an unusually large head!!!! WTF?? (I subsequently opted to switch HVs!!!)

At my LOs 9 month check I specifically asked for her head to be measured (not routinely done appararently despite my old HVs concerns!!) and she was 75th for head and 50th for weight and height.

So, I would say don't worry :hugs:

thanks all, think i'll try and stop obsessing on his poor head! measured his length yesterday & that has gone from 91st to 98th centile so he is a big boy anyway xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->