Headlice!!!

My children haven't had them, but last summer the two girls from Romania that came to spend their holidays here had them. I was horrified! I always used to check my kids when they were in primary school. We don't have nit nurses but nit mums at school here. Once a week a couple of mums check all the kids. I never wanted to be a nit mum though, the word sounds awful anyways, but I did check my kids and my daughter never went to school with loose hair, always plaited or done up otherwise.
In summer it was my first experience with nits and I let my husband deal with them. Ooooh!! Haha, he was combing every night.
I hope it has been the last time, but seeing there are coming children here all the holidays and mostly from orphanages they might bring them another time, though we have been having these children for 11 years and never had this problem before, so I guess we have been lucky so far!

I was thinking about those little buggers this morning while getting oldest ready for school. She's 10 next week and since we moved here she's had them three flipping times! I never had them and neither did my brother and she never had them until we moved here! The first time it was horrible! I didn't even think about it since we've never dealt with it and it was so bad by the time we caught it! Even my baby had them! He was about a month old at the time. I was so disgusted!!!! I don't think that I have ever cleaned like that and been so freaked out in my life! Seriously, that was GROSS!!!! So ever since then we have made sure that she is checked once a week and twice now we have caught them early, before they get bad. Like one bug. Still so gross it gives me the chills! I HATE those things! And wish that all parents were diligent in checking for those little monsters!

Just saw this and wanted to say that when I was little and got headlice my Dr. told my parents to do the lice treatment and rinse my head in White Distilled Vinegar. It kills the nits on contact. They did it after we had battled lice for an entire month and then the lice didn't come back.

Don't blame yourself hun. You can try to get rid of nits as much as you like and if the other mums aren't doing the same then it just doesn't work :nope:

When I was younger, I used to get nits all the time and it wasn't because my mum didn't take care of me or because I was "dirty". As a child, my hair was down to my bum and it was SOOOO thick but mum used to nit comb my hair almost every night - for hours, and then run through it again quickly in the morning before school. She tried the mousses and other treatments and the good old fashioned nit combs and nothing helped.

I spent like 4 years going to school with my hair in french plaits, and that did nothing either. Though, the main reason for the plaits was that I accidentally got a round brush caught in my hair and rather than tell my mum I cut it off :blush:

Anyway... don't blame yourself hun :) You sound like you're doing all you can!

im lucky my girl has not had them yet and she is now nearly 6, i would be very angry if she did get them and i treated her to get them again weeks later because some kids parents wont treat there kid! i got a letter from school a couple of days before they was finishing for summer holidays saying some kids in her kids have had headlice, i decided she was not going in for a day to catch them so i kept her off, it has made me extra cautious now, i clip her fringe back, put her hair in a plait, wash her hair in tea tree and also straighten her hair everyweek while i do a propper search

Mine have it and to be honest i do it every night to get them out , i put them in school or play group and they always get it every week , so if i took them off every week they would never be in school. I just have to maintain them and try and get rid as much as poss. If one doesnt have them the other does and its the same in school , just goes around circles really.

It pisses me off aswell... i put my daughters her hair up everyday and comb it thru with a net comb every night.. when she comes out of school. her hair is always down when i have told the teacher if it comes out to put it back up seeing as she has long hair as it is. the school obviously dont give a rats arse

what makes me laugh is the school sent a letter saying we hope to make this a net free year!! YEH RIGHT...

I'd get the sack if I did put your daughter's hair up for her to be honest! Firstly, it could be called abuse, and secondly, the Head would want to know who was teaching the other 32 kids while I was 'playing hairdressers'!! I know it's more common with the younger kids though (I teach juniors mainly) where the Reception teachers in particular have to help some of the kids get changed for PE etc. still.

Yes iv read in some cases teachers are not allowed to touch children's hair but was told as long as they have written permission from me then they can do it.... i dont expect them to spend ages brushing it or anything, but they have enough people working in the classes so at playtime or something one of them could quickly put it back up! ( and obviously they wouldnt be doing this for every childs hair that falls out because im sure not all of the parents have given permission )

If school's want us to make it a net free year, then they have to help aswell,

I spend the time doing my daughters hair, because i dont want her to suffer i.e itchying her head all the time... but it annoys me how im spending money on net lotions ( money i havent really got ) just for her to come back with even more

I used to have such a hard time with Emily at first school
I found this an absoute godsend https://www.nittygritty.co.uk/site/home.asp
The comb grabs everything so is not as much as a pain in the arse as normal
The full kit is not cheap but I found it worked out cheaper in the long run than the lotions and potions, you can just use the comb with conditioner as well.

I use this comb everytime I wash my 2 kids hair and touch wood they have never had them :happydance:

you know, the other day right after posting on here, I went home and oldest gave me all her notes from school..... guess what has made another comeback! You got it! Her class has a reported case of headlice! I went through each of the kids heads that night and didn't find even a single one but I am going through them again tonight and will LOSE IT if I find them!!!!!

its really bad!
my 3 year old daughter has it and its really irritating her...

shampoo and other things helps but dont stop it. manual removal really works. LOL!

I'm lucky that josh has never had them but its not just others who pass them on, Its swings & roundabouts, Your child will pass them onto another child who will pass them on etc, It would be a case of keeping the whole class off & sorting it to stop a child giving it back to one who's just been cleaned of them if ya get me.

Another thing is when you clean their hair, coats with hoods, jackets & pillows/bedding need to be done to stop them going back into the hair too.

Joshs nursery had a note up saying nits were going round, I checked him & just made sure he was clean everyday so far nothing, Tend to find its girls that get them more so because they have longer hair :(

I believe you can get lice stuff on prescription though

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->