Health Visitor

Becci_Boo86

Reaction score
Hi everyone i just wanted to ask. Has anyone else had a health visitor call on them when pregnant?

i just had a call from a health visitor to come see me on the 21st May.

this is our first baby so wht does this mean? wht do they do and ask?

xx

I had one call with my first, she wanted to see if she could answer any questions and then when baby was a few days old she came to see if there was anything I needed.

Yeah mine came last week. She just gave me the baby's Red Book and asked how I was doing, if I had any questions etc. She was only here about 15 mins. They then come to see you after you've been discharged from the Community Midwives when you're home :flower:

I think this is something that is very common in the UK. Not so much in the states. I have never had a call or visit from one (I live in the states), and knowing me, I probably would not allow some stranger into my home without good reason, but that is just me. :flower:

Yep, it's normal in most areas if it's your first baby. Like the above poster said, they give you your red book (baby's health record) so you can bring it to the birth with you for the midwives to fill in and answer any questions (like about breastfeeding, sleeping, the first few days, etc.). Also, for anyone outside the UK (I'm originally from the U.S. where we unfortunately don't have these sorts of things). A health visitor is a pediatric nurse who comes to your house to do all your early well baby visits. I think in the U.S. we tend to think anyone who comes to your house is social services, but it's not at all like that here. They just like to do those first visits at home since you are still recovering and your baby is still so small it's not great to expose them to all the sick people at the doctor's office. I love my health visitor. She's been so helpful and I've cried my eyes out to her many times in the early days when I was just exhausted and feeling overwhelmed.

Yep, it's normal in most areas if it's your first baby. Like the above poster said, they give you your red book (baby's health record) so you can bring it to the birth with you for the midwives to fill in and answer any questions (like about breastfeeding, sleeping, the first few days, etc.). Also, for anyone outside the UK (I'm originally from the U.S. where we unfortunately don't have these sorts of things). A health visitor is a pediatric nurse who comes to your house to do all your early well baby visits. I think in the U.S. we tend to think anyone who comes to your house is social services, but it's not at all like that here. They just like to do those first visits at home since you are still recovering and your baby is still so small it's not great to expose them to all the sick people at the doctor's office. I love my health visitor. She's been so helpful and I've cried my eyes out to her many times in the early days when I was just exhausted and feeling overwhelmed.

Yep.
The opinion I have seen from some of the people who do not live in the UK have been "who is this person" "I'd slam the door in their face" blah blah blah.

We do not run with our babies to the doctors when they are a few days old, our midwives & health visitors (a pead nurse working in the community) come and see us - less disruptive for the routine.

Under my trust, I don't see my HV until after the birth - but I will likely only see to get the red book as I will be leaving the area shortly after to go to my families place.

Health visitors are also an entirely optional service.

There was a thread on either this forum or 2nd trimester a few months back where a lady was having a horrific health visitor experience, and it sounded a lot like social services to me because the health visitor was being rather pushy about a home visit to tour their home, etc. I am glad to hear that is not the case for most ladies.

I actually prefer taking my child to see my selected pediatrician after I am discharged from the hospital. If I was too ill to travel, I could arrange to have a visit as well by the doctor or a nurse on staff. But I get to choose who that person is, which is rather important to me, especially since my DDs pediatrician also happens to be a close friend of mine from college. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->