Healthy start vitamins - uk

eulmh82

Reaction score
What are your opinions on these? our hvs say yes. My mum says yes. My husband says no and my friend says and I quote " they were brought in for people whodon;t feed their kids right and don;t take them outside"
I was gonna get them for my LO as he doesn;t quite get his pint of milk a day but he does have a varied diet and eats tonnes of yoghurt. But I kind of feel I want them for my own peace of mind.
If what my friend says is true then it';s kind of a waste of time because surely the parents who maybe don;t feed their kids properly or take them outside much are also not the type of parents to pay for extra vitamins and bother to go and pick them up

I think if it's what health proffessionals advise then I'd get them. Cant see them doing any harm and they say all babies from the age of 1 r supposed to have them now too. Xxx

I wanted to get them - mainly because my lo is a nightmare with fruit and veg (we offer every variety every meal time but it normally gets lobbed on the floor at the dog!!) He does drink 9oz of cows milk a day, plus yogurts, and milk when he has cereal so I dont worry about his calcium intake so much...

However... I cant find them to buy!!!! My HV said that yes they are good, but they are not essential...

Yes I agree they can;t harm them so why not. We went to pharmacy today and they looked at me like I was mad. So went to surestart centre and they said it;s only at certain places you ca get them. It;s two walk in centres in our area thsat does them so maybe it;s the same for you? he eats his fruit and veg and has a varied diet it;s just the lack of milk. He has 4 oz in a morning - he;s down to one bottle now so I put some in his cereal/porridge for breakfast but the he refuses it in his beaker during the day but will drink water out of his beaker. He does have prob half a pot of a big tub of natural yoghurt a day though - he;s a yoghurt monster :)

I don't know the product itself it if the health visitor says yes?
I asked my paediatrician about vitamin tablets for my son once and she just said she would rather not since they can be harsh on the stomach. I don't know about this particlar brand tho...might be a question worth asking?

I will have to try and look into it again. We try so hard with fruit and veg - he used to love fruit, but not anymore! grr....

It sounds like your lo is doing well with his yogurts, I am a bit naughty and sneak cheese into quite a bit of lo's food as well!! ;-)

I looked in every chemist where I live and asked, then went into the big boots in the city thinking they would have it - nothing... I will def try a walk in centre though! thanks! :)

will your LO eat fruit whizzed up in yogurt? that's what we do. I do the same with the cheese I made a cheese sauce and now he won;t eat his chicken or salmon without it! So picky! :) think it must give it more flavour :)

Nope wont eat it with anything :-( The only fruit he eats is the pureed pouches which he sucks dry! We have trying it whizzed up, cut up tiny, cut up big, put in yogurts, I even tried some nice strawberries with his chocolate sauce pancake he had on pancake day who can resist strawberries with chocolate - well apparently he can!!

Hoping it is just a phase, as he used to love chomping on fruit!! Thanks anyhow :) xx

haha they are so smart aren;t they. Mine wont eat mature cheese but will eat mild - my friends think that his hilarious but I thought well adults usually have a preference don;t they. He'll eat his fruit in lumps -he;ll eat a banana whole etc and will eat breadsticks cheese etc but if I dare leave one lump in hsi savoury meals that's it he doesn;t wnat it! :) I just think well he can eat lumps in the stuff he wants to and I want him to have his svaoury stuff so I just whizz it up -pandering!!!

I was told its more to do with the Vit D - guidelines recommend that EVERYBODY in the UK should take a daily vitamin D supplement due to the growing deficiency problem and associated illnesses (Rickets and MS being named).

I'll be making sure LO takes vitamin drops from 6 months despite the family being "outdoors" and having a healthy diet.

I was told its more to do with the Vit D - guidelines recommend that EVERYBODY in the UK should take a daily vitamin D supplement due to the growing deficiency problem and associated illnesses (Rickets and MS being named).

I'll be making sure LO takes vitamin drops from 6 months despite the family being "outdoors" and having a healthy diet.

yeah I did here this - to do with lack of sun in general in UK. my husband has a vit d deficiency - which I guess most of us do but he was told you had to spend 20 mins a day outside but with your arms and face exposed which in winter is not possible! My mum had skin cancer though so we're all a bit wary as a family so I supposed vit d supplements would be good for us all. I'm gonna get the healthy start vits for him then I know he's covered and when he gets ill - which he does quite a lot and lives on yoghurt for a week - I';ll know he has back up

They're really cheap, £1.80 a bottle which lasts about 4 months. Seem to taste nice as well, banana flavoured drops. My LO will happily take them on their own off a spoon, or I mix them into his weetabix. My sister has ms and I've read about the links to Vit d deficiency so I will keep giving him them (I've been a bit slack actually so thanks for the reminder!)

My son has multivitamin drops...since he has a cold...and he kinda likes taking them, they aren't cheap at almost 4£ for a small bottle but they last a good month. I wasn't advised to do this tho and he probably does have all the vitamins he needs. It's just for my peace of mind!

Health officals advise about things that aren't always best.. (personally) I`m not giving my child vitamins. I would rather feed her a healthly diet, because your body will consume vitamins better from foods, and fluids than pills, chewable tables or lab produced drinks. I think they are a money grab by telling all parents they need them. (my personal opinion)

This ^

We were prescribed them from birth, (she was very prem) , so no, its nothing really to do with what your mum says :haha:

I used to be against it, I thought feeding him and myself properly and getting outside everyday would be enough. However I have recently read research that says we get 90% of our vit D from UVB sunlight. in the summer we all put sun protection on our kids and in the winter there is not enough uvb sunlight especially if you live in the north of the country. So even the 2 portions of oily fish a week isn't going to reach the recommended level. So now I have changed my mind and started the Abidec drops.

I used to be against it, I thought feeding him and myself properly and getting outside everyday would be enough. However I have recently read research that says we get 90% of our vit D from UVB sunlight. in the summer we all put sun protection on our kids and in the winter there is not enough uvb sunlight especially if you live in the north of the country. So even the 2 portions of oily fish a week isn't going to reach the recommended level. So now I have changed my mind and started the Abidec drops.

yeah I have heard this. None of us have enough VIT D unless you maybe work outside. I will get them i think. he does have a very healthy diet and maybe it is a money grabbing scheme but I'm still gonna get them just for peace of mind - which is probably what the governement will pray on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->