Heartbeat not going up?

sjackson310

Reaction score
Sorry I already posted something recently, but I have a new question.
I should have been 6w2d the first time I had an ultrasound (based on ovulation using charting & OPK) but the baby only measured at 5w5d. My OB said since it was an abdominal U/S it could be measuring a little less than what it was. After he left, I did my own vaginal ultrasound (I work in postpartum as an RN and we were just at work goofing around when he did my ultrasound). I picked up a heartbeat that was between 104-114. Averaged around 108.

I had an ultrasound last night by my friend in the radiology department and baby measured 6w1d and heartbeat was 108 (by ovulation I should have been 7w0d). We also discovered there were twins (which it didn't look good for the smaller baby, it's HB was 55 and at today's ultrasound it showed no heartbeat). My OB wanted to see me in his office today for an official ultrasound with him. He confirmed the twin baby had passed away, and the other baby was now 6w2d so it's growing consistantly, but it's still smaller than it should be based on ovulation. The heart beat was STILL 108.

I know the HB should be going up but it's not. It's also not going down though. It's been 6 days since my first ultrasound and it's the exact same number. My OB wants to do another ultrasound in a week as the HB not changing is his only concern with this baby. Has this happened to anyone before? If so, can I hear what the outcome was? Thank you.

Has this not happened to anyone else? I have tried google and everything, can't find any answers, good or bad :/

I'm sorry about the twin passing :hugs:

As for the heartbeat, it sounds fine to me! Here in the UK they don't even check the exact rate. They just want to see that it's there at first and you can usually tell whether it is too slow or fast.

Take a look at this website:
https://www.baby2see.com/development/ultrasound_sonogram/first_trimester_scans.html

I love it because it tells you what is normal and what not week by week. The heart rate is expected to rise by the end of the 7th week so give your bubba a chance. 108 at the moment sounds just fine :cloud9:

I'm sorry about the twin passing :hugs:

As for the heartbeat, it sounds fine to me! Here in the UK they don't even check the exact rate. They just want to see that it's there at first and you can usually tell whether it is too slow or fast.

Take a look at this website:
https://www.baby2see.com/development/ultrasound_sonogram/first_trimester_scans.html

I love it because it tells you what is normal and what not week by week. The heart rate is expected to rise by the end of the 7th week so give your bubba a chance. 108 at the moment sounds just fine :cloud9:

Thank you. I am trying to be realistic but positive at the same time. It seems like they want the heart rate to be up by now. I wouldn't be worrying at all had the heart rate been lower 6 days ago. But the fact that it's stayed the EXACT same over a 6 day period is just odd to me. I have not come across this at all and I've been searching all day.

Our heartbeat has actually been decreasing week to week, though doctors have not been concerned because it is overall high. The first measurement at 6w5d was very fast, maybe 189. I asked the RE if it was too high and he said it was normal, even though I've read that's out of the range. The second scan at 8 weeks showed a heartbeat around 174. I didn't ask, as I was just glad it sounded more normal. At a 10w6d scan, the heart rate was around 165. I asked the tech if it was ok that it went down over the weeks and she said it was still a very strong heartbeat and can fluctuate. I haven't specifically asked my OB but they received the scan results and didn't tell me they had any concerns. Next week I have an appointment for a 12 week NT scan with a perinatologist, and I plan on asking. Everything else has been going smoothly, measuring a few days head of schedule, no issues.

I don't know if this is helpful because my numbers are so high, but I thought I'd share, since two docs and an ultrasound tech have said a dropping rate was normal in my case?

Our heartbeat has actually been decreasing week to week, though doctors have not been concerned because it is overall high. The first measurement at 6w5d was very fast, maybe 189. I asked the RE if it was too high and he said it was normal, even though I've read that's out of the range. The second scan at 8 weeks showed a heartbeat around 174. I didn't ask, as I was just glad it sounded more normal. At a 10w6d scan, the heart rate was around 165. I asked the tech if it was ok that it went down over the weeks and she said it was still a very strong heartbeat and can fluctuate. I haven't specifically asked my OB but they received the scan results and didn't tell me they had any concerns. Next week I have an appointment for a 12 week NT scan with a perinatologist, and I plan on asking. Everything else has been going smoothly, measuring a few days head of schedule, no issues.

I don't know if this is helpful because my numbers are so high, but I thought I'd share, since two docs and an ultrasound tech have said a dropping rate was normal in my case?

I wish I was in your shoes lol. I think when I go to work tomorrow night I will do an abdominal ultrasound and see if it's going up. Even though my baby is measuring smaller than it should be, technically by it's measurements its heart rate is right on track, so now it should be going up. I hope.

So sorry about the loss of your twin. Glad to know you are still seeing the other heartbeat.

My husband and I were talking today and we discussed how far medicine has come and how amazing it is that we're able to measure down to minutiae! We both agreed that though it undoubtably has immense benefits- being able to measure in such great detail while using averages that standardize "normal" for everyone (whose individual bodies naturally vary somewhat), it also has the potential to cause undue stress. It's a a blessing and bit of a curse I think.

If I could do my own u/s at work -for better or worse- I know I couldn't resist looking every day!!!!

I'm not sure what the bpm is supposed to be or when it's cause for concern. But, as a layman- it stands to reason that baby's heart rate would vary somewhat throughout the day. ?

It's pretty cool that you got to see the heartbeat at 5w5d. I just measured 5w5d with a heartbeat(today!) and the tech told me that not everyone gets to see a heartbeat so early. She said they wouldn't measure the bpm until my 8wk u/s. Not sure why- I just figured maybe it was too small to be reliable right now? I don't know if that's comforting to you- but I hope so.

Please keep us posted on how things progress! Sending you my best and the stickies.

You also have to remember that your baby's heart is very new so it is still working on regulating itself. Also, as time goes by your baby will have rest periods when the heartrate is slower and activity periods when it is faster. Most people don't have ultrasounds as often as you do so you might find it hard to find a comparison. I have lots of ultrasounds because I am high risk. On two occasions the heart rate was too slow. We didn't measure the exact figure but at 7w it was visibly slow. I mean, even I could tell. It was nowhere near 100! Those two didn't survive but it was pretty obvious already and I started bleeding.

At this point, your baby has a heartbeat and you are not bleeding so your baby is fine! Try to take some deep breaths and remind yourself only to panic when you have a big reason. Don't go looking for a problem. Maybe ask one of your experienced sonographers at work what they think about the heartrate. I am sure they will be able to calm your fears :hugs:
Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!
PS: I would totally be scanning at least once a day if I could, too :winkwink:

You also have to remember that your baby's heart is very new so it is still working on regulating itself. Also, as time goes by your baby will have rest periods when the heartrate is slower and activity periods when it is faster. Most people don't have ultrasounds as often as you do so you might find it hard to find a comparison. I have lots of ultrasounds because I am high risk. On two occasions the heart rate was too slow. We didn't measure the exact figure but at 7w it was visibly slow. I mean, even I could tell. It was nowhere near 100! Those two didn't survive but it was pretty obvious already and I started bleeding.

At this point, your baby has a heartbeat and you are not bleeding so your baby is fine! Try to take some deep breaths and remind yourself only to panic when you have a big reason. Don't go looking for a problem. Maybe ask one of your experienced sonographers at work what they think about the heartrate. I am sure they will be able to calm your fears :hugs:
Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!
PS: I would totally be scanning at least once a day if I could, too :winkwink:

Thank you. I have had spotting and light cramps but were thinking it's from losing the smaller twin. My OB texted me today and asked how I was doing. I told him my concerns with the heart rate and he said he will do another ultrasound this week (I chose Friday). So I'll hopefully have a better answer then. I'm not going to lie, I did ANOTHER ultrasound last night at work and I believe the heart rate was 118-120 which is up but it was only an abdominal ultrasound and I had to do it quickly (I had 6 patients to take care of at work!). So we will see.

Sorry to hear about the bleeding and cramps although the vanishing twin might explain that and hopefully it won't have an impact on the surviving baby. Great news on the heartbeat check at work, though! Gosh, you currently have my dream job :D

I'm amazed your ob is texting you! How nice its that?! I'm in the UK and although I happen to have my ob's mobile number I know that's super unusual and I've only used it once. You're also the most patient woman ever waiting until Friday for your next scan. Well done you! Feel free to pop in here during the week if you feel you need talking off a cliff again. That's what we are for :hugs:

Sorry to hear about the bleeding and cramps although the vanishing twin might explain that and hopefully it won't have an impact on the surviving baby. Great news on the heartbeat check at work, though! Gosh, you currently have my dream job :D

I'm amazed your ob is texting you! How nice its that?! I'm in the UK and although I happen to have my ob's mobile number I know that's super unusual and I've only used it once. You're also the most patient woman ever waiting until Friday for your next scan. Well done you! Feel free to pop in here during the week if you feel you need talking off a cliff again. That's what we are for :hugs:

Sorry, just saw this post! Yeah I work with my OB every shift and he's awesome (that's why I picked him!). He told me to get his cell number out of the Doctor phone book at the nurses station and to text him if I had any concerns. He also has been texting me on his own since the loss of the other twin. He ALSO keeps asking at work if I need any prescriptions for nausea or anything LOL. He's a fantastic OB for his non-coworkers, and an even better one for his friends.
I am going to really try to hold out till Friday and not do any more ultrasounds. I want a better picture from a professional and by then I should have my answer about the viability of this pregnancy. Will definitely post an update when I get one!

Soooo my OB called and said he would go ahead and see me tomorrow at 11:30am to do an ultrasound. I had to go to this meeting at work tonight and when I arrived at the hospital, my x-Ray tech friend saw me and asked if I wanted an ultrasound (duh!) so she did a quick vaginal ultrasound before my meeting. The reason I'm heavily spotting at times throughout the day is because the twin I miscarried has been wiggling it's way towards my cervix (which is still closed!). She said it's hard to tell if my body will absorb the baby or if it will be passed naturally but that my healthy baby is out of it's way and should be fine regardless. I am measuring only 5 days behind now, not 6. Also baby's heart rate was 130. Measuring 7w1d today. I showed my OB the pics and he said he is very optimistic and all should be fine so I won't need my appt tonorrow. I am soooo happy!

Great news!! You sound like me... I work in the lab so I'm constantly checking my HCG levels!

Great news!! You sound like me... I work in the lab so I'm constantly checking my HCG levels!

In the beginning I would have totally been all over that! My general physician was stingy with the hcg draws and only gave me two!

Hi, I just wanted to say I was thinking about you and your baby and I'm so happy to see your update!:thumbup:

Hi, I just wanted to say I was thinking about you and your baby and I'm so happy to see your update!:thumbup:

awe, thank you! I woke up this afternoon with a baseball sized area of blood in my pajamas. Was not thrilled about that. I am assuming it's the other baby though and trying to remain positive.

Oh sjackson, how scary but good to have an explanation to keep you calm. Let us know how your next u/s goes. Hopefully, the blood from the lost twin will be all gone from your uterus!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->