Hearty Lentil and Bacon Soup

midori1999

Reaction score
Thought I'd post this as it is snowing here today which is prompting me to make it. It also freezers well and is a really good, nutritious and easy meal to make in the early days with a new baby.

-1-2 onions, diced
-6-8 medium sized carrots, peeled and grated
-500g of red lentils
-200g of soup mix
-ham stock cubes to taste, or use cooking water from a ham joint (I usually use about 4-6)
-1 beef oxo cube
-pack of cooking bacon, chopped.

Chuck it all in large stock pot, fill up with water, bring to the boil and simmer for a couple of hours so the soup mix is cooked and the lentils really broken up. It makes a really thick, lovely soup.

You can also add some diced potatoes/peas/other veg if you like, or use left over gammon/ham instead of the bacon.

Mmmm sounds well yummy and I have been meaning to try new soups.Thanks :) Oh and how much does this serve?xxx

I made this today, it was lovely! It's one of my kids favourite things to eat and it makes a complete meal with bread or not.

Not sure how many it serves, to be honest, but lots. I would say at least 12 large portions, the pot I use is absolutely huge. You could just halve the ingredients if you didn't want so much.

This may be a silly question but I am no cook!

What type of soup mix do you use?

xxx

This may be a silly question but I am no cook!

What type of soup mix do you use?

xxx

It's called 'soup mix' and it is in a bagnear the lentils/pulses etc. it is basically a mix of pearl barley and other grains, dried peas etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->