Heavy lifting/carrying

JumpingIn

Mummy+TTC#2
Reaction score
Are you avoiding this? What counts as heavy, anyway!?

I had to walk with my cat to the vet earlier as she has cystitis. The carrycase is big and bulky and weighs quite a few kgs, and the cat weighs 4.5kg. It was about a 15 minute walk. Now my abdominal muscles feel strained and I am a bit worried about my little apple pip. I've got a tiny frame (size 8) and am a total weakling, I'm only 5ft tall.

Does anyone have experiences to compare for reassurance?

Everything I've googled says if you did it pre preg it's fine...well, I would have done that, but only once every 6 months or so!

Prob going to read this back in 2nd tri and have a good laugh about my paranoia :haha:

The heavy lifting isn't so much about baby as it is about you developing piles, so the worst that's going to happen to you from carrying your cat to the vet is a few days of uncomfortable pooping. Wouldn't worry about it at all at this stage, but when your bump gets bigger you'll put more pressure on that area anyway, so should avoid heavy lifting then. ;)

I hike my 2 year old around still, he's between 12-13kg and when he decides he wants to be carried well that's that!!

My job involves lifting and pulling a heavy trolley about all day. I have been allowed to take less and someone else unloads the trolley for me now but I was doing it until a couple of weeks ago and all is looking fine with my bubba, I'm just still so so tired.

I think it's fine. Some obs advise against it but personally since my pregnancy is going ok with no issues I won't worry. I carry my dd who's 10 months and about 10 kilos. Not for 15 mins straight as I get breathless quite fast these days.

My job involves heavy lifting of up to 50lbs. My midwife said I'll be fine with some lifting until the 3rd trimester.

I'm also 5ft tall and pretty small, and I lift heavy things all the time.

I was lifting weights before I got pregnant, I haven't stopped. I deadlift and squat 95lbs (~43kg) a couple times a week. No cramping, no spotting, no pain. I do get winded a lot more than I did before I got pregnant, so I have to take much longer breaks and do smaller sets.

My doctor (haven't seen OB yet, just regular doctor) said it was great I was already doing an exercise program so I could keep it up, he encouraged me to keep at it as long as I can.

Family and friends always told me don't lift anything heavy in the first
trimester because... they say it causes miscarriages.. i'm not sure if it's true but better safe than sorry. Try not to lift anything more than 9kg

i work as a cashier at sams club and everything is heavy and i have to lift constantly. it kills my back with all the twisting and picking up heavy things. i hate it and not only members but a couple of other employees tell me to stop because the first few months are so critical and im a very small girl... im just 62 inches tall and i am size xtra small. they are very worried for me so im going to get a note from my OB next wednesday so can get a different position in store. i really never felt safe lifting as much as i did.

I was lifting weights before I got pregnant, I haven't stopped. I deadlift and squat 95lbs (~43kg) a couple times a week. No cramping, no spotting, no pain. I do get winded a lot more than I did before I got pregnant, so I have to take much longer breaks and do smaller sets.

My doctor (haven't seen OB yet, just regular doctor) said it was great I was already doing an exercise program so I could keep it up, he encouraged me to keep at it as long as I can.

I try to keep in shape as well but I've stopped the deadlift all together because of the jerky movement. The deadlift is my favorite lift at the gym so I'm wondering if you've ever felt injured or anything doing them?

I lift the same! I can't do anymore than 2 25lb plates on each side. I really need to up my strength but Idk if now is the best time to try.

I try to keep in shape as well but I've stopped the deadlift all together because of the jerky movement. The deadlift is my favorite lift at the gym so I'm wondering if you've ever felt injured or anything doing them?

I lift the same! I can't do anymore than 2 25lb plates on each side. I really need to up my strength but Idk if now is the best time to try.

Deadlifts are not jerky when I do them? I do them quite deliberately and I wouldn't say there is anything jerky about them? Maybe if my weight were really light, but since I lift heavy it is a good, steady, controlled lift.

Honey, I'm flattered by you are lifting 50lbs more than me. I do ONE 25lb plate on each side. That 50+45lb bar, = 95lbs. If you have TWO 25lb plates, you are lifting 145 :) Maybe if you scale back the weight ab bit they might not feel so jerky?

I dislike deadlifts, compared to squats. I find squats give me a better full body workout. I don't dislike them as much as lunges, which are obviously the devil's exercise...

Oh and I have been upping the weight a little bit, nothing that makes me feel like I'm pushing myself, but 5-10 lbs more?

Deadlifts are not jerky when I do them? I do them quite deliberately and I wouldn't say there is anything jerky about them? Maybe if my weight were really light, but since I lift heavy it is a good, steady, controlled lift.

Honey, I'm flattered by you are lifting 50lbs more than me. I do ONE 25lb plate on each side. That 50+45lb bar, = 95lbs. If you have TWO 25lb plates, you are lifting 145 :) Maybe if you scale back the weight ab bit they might not feel so jerky?

I dislike deadlifts, compared to squats. I find squats give me a better full body workout. I don't dislike them as much as lunges, which are obviously the devil's exercise...

Oh and I have been upping the weight a little bit, nothing that makes me feel like I'm pushing myself, but 5-10 lbs more?

Oh no I didn't mean that! Haha! I max out with 1 25lb plate on each side. Me on the other hand love deads, I hate squats.

Oh no I didn't mean that! Haha! I max out with 1 25lb plate on each side. Me on the other hand love deads, I hate squats.

In that case, we are doing the same after all! It's so funny how people are about squats, you love them or you hate them...I dislike front squats, but back squats are by far my favorite.

I guess I don't MIND deads, I just feel like I'm doing more/working more in squats. And deads hurt my hands. I could get gloves, but then my hands would never get used to lifting...but as long as I've been doing it, you'd think my hands would toughen up by now.

In that case, we are doing the same after all! It's so funny how people are about squats, you love them or you hate them...I dislike front squats, but back squats are by far my favorite.

I guess I don't MIND deads, I just feel like I'm doing more/working more in squats. And deads hurt my hands. I could get gloves, but then my hands would never get used to lifting...but as long as I've been doing it, you'd think my hands would toughen up by now.

Well then, since your pregnant, doing deads and are totally fine, it must be okay! Today is my back day. I think I'll give it a try!

Well then, since your pregnant, doing deads and are totally fine, it must be okay! Today is my back day. I think I'll give it a try!

Well, I wouldn't count my experience as a guarantee that it's safe, but I only stopped for the week from 2-9dpo. My main doctor said that as long as I was adjusted to it before becoming pregnant, I could keep going. I've been going twice a week since 10dpo, and I haven't had any issues. As I said, my doctor has supported me.

If you haven't been doing them in a while, even a few weeks, I'd definitely take it easy. I have listened to my body, taken in PLENTY of fluids (more than I did before) and about tripled my rest times.

Last time, my dr said try not to lift anything over 20 lbs. I try to stick to that. I don't weigh anything lol, so I'm sure I end up with things that are over. I pretty much just don't push myself. If it feels noticeably really heavy I don't do it.

My doctor told me not to carry my daughter, who's 30 lbs., anymore. I am 8 weeks along. I am not sure the reasoning behind it though.

I found this on Baby Center. It is saying lifting more than 20 pounds can cause miscarriage, low birth weight and a higher risk of preeclampsia. This probably applies more though if you didn't lift before pregnancy.

https://www.babycenter.com/404_is-i...carry-heavy-objects_10310767.bc?startIndex=10

My doctor told me not to carry my daughter, who's 30 lbs., anymore. I am 8 weeks along. I am not sure the reasoning behind it though.

I found this on Baby Center. It is saying lifting more than 20 pounds can cause miscarriage, low birth weight and a higher risk of preeclampsia. This probably applies more though if you didn't lift before pregnancy.

https://www.babycenter.com/404_is-i...carry-heavy-objects_10310767.bc?startIndex=10

I'm surprised to see that, because what I have read is:

Late in pregnancy a woman’s ability to safely lift a load decreases, mostly because her center of gravity and balance have changed and additionally because the hormones of pregnancy have caused her connective tissue, ligaments and tendons to soften. So if she lifts a heavy load she can injure herself, but will probably do no harm to the pregnancy or the baby. There are no studies that show that lifting more than 25 pounds has an effect on birth weight or prematurity.

The current recommendation is that the maximum load a pregnant woman should lift in late pregnancy should be reduced by 20 to 25 percent from that which she was able to lift in her pre-pregnancy state.

Also, one reason I AM exercising is because I want to prevent getting pre-eclampisa again!

My jib specifically asked my Dr for a list of restrictions since I work in receiving and am the sole person for ups and FedEx at my store and all I was told was that I can't lift more than 25lbs. Lucky for ms ups puts the weights on all the boxes. And my manager said no ladders as she could see me falling off of it (i may or may not be a pretty clumsey person to begin with).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->