Hellooooo

Mervs Mum

Doula & Mum of 3!
Reaction score
Well I just bought my first cloth nappies thanks to Dizzyspells :hugs:

I have NO idea whatsoever where to start so I'll be collecting them in person and getting the low down on these particular ones. I'm hoping to pick up a few bargains over the coming months so I can try to cloth bum from the off but I dont want to break the bank as I am getting some resistance from OH!! Believe it or not he's a geography teacher and is totally for ALL things ECO but he doesnt believe that cloth nappies are better for the environment......

Sooo.......I have my 4 x Tots Bots Bamboozles, a One Life wrap and a Nappi Nippa plus free demo to get things going. What else to I need? I mean like pails and the like? And would you wait until the baby has passed the meconium before using cloth?

:D

I think I would use some fleece liners in the beginning just to not stain the diapers and if anything you can just toss those cause fleece is really cheap. You can just go to a fabric store, pick out something you like and cut it up, no need to sew the edges as fleece doesn't fray :)

You will need a pail, I personally think just buying a tall trash can works great, and is usually the cheapest option, and then buy a pail liner to go inside it. If your nursing, which I'm sure you will lol, then you won't need a sprayer in the beginning, but once on solids you will probably want a diaper sprayer. Then you will also need atleast one small wet bag for the diaper bag.

Do you plan to do cloth wipes too?

I think for a newborn most of my newborn sized stuff would be prefolds, they lay pretty still at that age so easy to put on, plus you change them so often and prefolds are so cheap so you can get a bunch for very little. I would also get probably a couple more fitted diapers (like the type you already have) and then maybe a couple of pockets for going out

:wohoo:Yay!!!!Welcome hunni!!

I dont actually have a proper nappy pail so to speak just a small round plastic bin with a lid on that was £1.99 from Pounstretcher it does the job!!

I have a laundry bag that they all go in to wash.

I have various types of nappies as I really think its trial and error what is good for one parent and baby may not be for another so I think the best thing to do is get a few of diff kinds then that way you find what works best before spending a large amount.

Beware though it is adictive!!

personally i would wait till all those lovely mec poo's are out of the way !! i started using cloth around 4 weeks ish, maybe a week or so befor that ... not too sure, those first weeks are such a blur i'm sure i couldnt have managed the extra wash every night.....tho i think with my second i will defo start earlier! i would get a few disposables for the first week or so atleast!!

i would get a couple of mothercare smart nappies - i think a trial pack costs around 9.99 and you get a wrap a re usable pad and a disposable pad - that way you can use a disposable pad if you dont have any clean pads or if you're going out anddont want to be carrying around re usables etc... i have 2 wraps and 3 re usable pads and a pack of around 35 disposable pads - i've only used the disposable pads once or twice but they are handy to have around or for if we are going to stay away for a few days and not going to have washing facilities!!

i agree about the pail - i got mine given but any lidded bucket works just as well!!! i would slowly build up a small stash of a few different kinds and brands so you can try all of them and find ones both you and lo get along with. also if you get a couple btp(birth to potty) you can have a play with them now as they will fit hebe (kill me if i got her name wrong)(if she's still in nappies)

hope thid helps hunni!

sara

xxxxxxxxxx

HELLO MERVS MUM!!

I'm quite new to this as well...just creating my own little stash as we speak. Dizzyspells is right, it becomes SO addictive! I have a couple of the mothercare smart nappies, and agree with saraendepity that they are a good place to start, and you could even use one of the disposable pads to deal with those meconium poos if you did want to start early!

I found really thinking about and listing the things that are most important for me really helped where to start buying. For example I don't have a tumble drier so a quick drying speed was the most important thing to me, and because Olivia is still quite little it would make sense to aim for birth to potty nappies so she can grow with them and we save even more money. Once you have done this, and you have done a bit of reading/spending time in this section of BnB learning from the pros :thumbup: you can quickly start to narrow down the types you might want to try.

You are going to become SO addicted! xxx

yay lisa! good to see you here :yipee: we've started using cloth on maddi, and i love it :wohoo: def getting lots of knowledge and practice for when we have number 2 :yipee:
i would say a pail and a wet bag and probably some liners when they are young.
i probably wont go straight into cloth when we eventually have number 2 as i will probably go for a c-section, so that will put me out of action for a few weeks.

for me, the best way i approached it is to try cloth, and then ask questions from these lovely ladies, once you get going its so easy, and amazing to have so many people with so much knowledge there all the time :yipee:

Lisa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hELLO HUNNYY!!!!!

Good to see you over here! Be warned though, you are going to be so skint :rofl:!

Ive copied my list from another thread for you....

Ok, a list for you, if anyone thinks of owt else then feel free to add to it.

1 lidded nappy bin
https://www.fill-your-pants.com/produ...5/nappy-bucket

1 mesh wash bag (I put this inside the bin and chuck dirty nappies straight in)
https://www.fill-your-pants.com/produ...h-bags--2-pack
(think someone got 2 of these for a fiver off ebay:thumbup:

a wet bag for out and about to store your dirty/wet nappies in.
https://www.fill-your-pants.com/produ...-wet-nappy-bag

Optional flushable liners, if your not fussed on fishing poop out of your nappies...just pick up and flush away:happydance:
https://www.fill-your-pants.com/produ...s-paper-liners
get these cheaper on ebay.

About 15/20 nappies. Now personally I would go for Birth to potty (one size nappies) as they will last from birth to potty. Bum Genius are fab everyday nappies, go for the Organic all in ones. Say 8/10 of these. For showing off and the sheer luxury, you could invest in maybe 3/4 blueberry minkies and some sized itti bitti's.....maybe 4/5.
The blueberrys are fab for bed too:thumbup:
Bum genius offers......
https://www.fill-your-pants.com/secti...ecial-offers--

Blueberry minkie nappies
https://www.fill-your-pants.com/produ...y-pocket-nappy

itti bitti d'lish
https://www.fill-your-pants.com/produ...nap-all-in-one

2 for £25 not bad...can pick these up on ebay for £13 each, plus postage.

I think you would need mdium for Charlie and they would last him quite a while.

Oh you will need somewhere to store them all. I use a plastic draw thing in my downstairs loo.

If you cant afford to buy the whole lot in one then get them slowly. obv, buy your bin, mesh bag and wet bag first.

If you want to know anything else, just holler!

Oh with 15/20 nappies you will prolly need to wash every other day....gives you an idea of how long they would last.

:hugs:

I didnt use cloth when leo was first born (as you know) but tbh dont think I could have been arsed washing nappies on no sleep!

I persoanlly hate prefolds.....I much prefer AIO's or pockets.....cant be bothered with extra wraps and I think you might aswell wrap a pissy wet towel around bubba ...sorry, just my opinion:blush:

I do have some goodmama fitteds but dont use them yet...im saving them for when leo is mobile.

welcome over xxx

Yay! Hi Lisa :wave:

Hope you're feeling well! :D

This cloth nappy business is very addictive but I LOVE Deri wearing cloth! My OH was dead against cloth nappies and the cost but I'm gradually talking him round....

It does work out expensive to start with but if you buy a few each month before your LO arrives it won't seem it at all! :D

Jacqui has covered quite a lot there...I too use pockets/AIO's but am waiting on some pre-folds to try and want to try some fitteds too (both types require wraps over).

Any questions and all the girls here are SOOOO helpful! :D

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"