Help, 7mth old has no interest in weaning!

Babylove100

Reaction score
So, I've been weaning for a month now and I can honestly say in that whole time he has probably had about 5 spoonfuls! I've tried everything, puréed, blw and I'm at a loss. What else can I try??? Any help greatly appreciated x

He currently has 4 8oz bottles a day, so I thought I'd try reducing the first 3 feeds to 6oz and give the missing 2oz when we have breakfast, lunch and dinner to see whether he'll associate food with being fed. I'll then give him a full 8oz bottle at his bedtime feed. Any thoughts?

Honestly he is so young, it's not something that needs forced yet. Just keep offering a little something when you have meals and eventually he will get more interested :) right now milk should still be the main food/nutrition.. Which is why they say food before 1 is just for fun :) so don't stress! I wouldn't cut his milk honestly but I'm not sure what others have done when formula feeding. Some babies just take longer being interested in solid foods and that's ok :)

Just keep doing what you're doing and try not to overthink it. I wouldn't expect him to do much more than play with food before about 10 months to a year. Some babies eat massive amounts from the start but most don't. My friend's daughter literally ate 4 chicken strips her very first meal, but mine mostly just played and picked at things until about 9 months (we did blw). Then one day she fed herself half of like a 5 inch quiche! And the next day for breakfast ate a whole (adult sized) bowl of porridge and a whole banana. That's more than I can eat for breakfast! Just give him food to play with, eat together when you can, eat the same foods whenever possible and just give it a few months. You'll likely see a bit difference pretty soon. I wouldn't reduce his milk though. Mine was still on 6 bottles a day at that age. It reduced on its own around 9-10 months when she started eating more.

Thanks ladies. I'm definitely giving up on the purées, he just doesn't want it. He did however eat some of his toast today! Whohoo! I gave him pasta for the first time which he just played with so I'll keep at it. We'll get there!

I agree with the others. Sit down together so he can observe you eating - he may try to put things in his mouth, he may not, but he'll still be learning about meal times and the smells and textures of food.

My daughter is the same - not that interested in food and she is seven months in a few days as well. We eat at the table together (she sits with us in her high chair every meal) and watches my son and us eat. She seems to prefer BLW and doesn't swallow purees so we give her bread, pasta, veggies etc whatever we're having. It's not working for us yet - my son munched down on the purees from day one so I find it weird having to struggle with it.

Just wanted to let you know you're now alone.
X

Ah thank you. Daniel is almost 9 months now. For a few weeks he was doing well with the blw but now he's stopped eating again! So frustrating!!! I'm starting to question whether he'll ever eat!!xx

Can I ask please what milk / feeds they are having? My daughter is seven months today and her feeding isn't going well. We are trying BLW and some purée, whatever we having basically as long as it's suitable. She hasn't dropped any milk feeds and barely seems to consume anything! She tries everything and loves sucking on peppers and cucumber, same with bread. But if I feed her anything we don't have much luck. It all gets spat out. Not like on a 'yuck' way but just like she can't swallow it.

So she is having about 800-900ml of formula a day in five feeds. The formula tins say she should at seen months be on 600 (3x210) but she is way above this!

He still has 4 8oz bottles a day! So he's not starving! Ha.

I had a breakthrough yesterday, I gave him some water from a little pot and he loved drinking it. So at dinner time I put some pear purée in it and let him sip some, he then let me properly spoon feed him the rest! Gonna try it again today and see if it's a fluke or now!

Can I ask please what milk / feeds they are having? My daughter is seven months today and her feeding isn't going well. We are trying BLW and some purée, whatever we having basically as long as it's suitable. She hasn't dropped any milk feeds and barely seems to consume anything! She tries everything and loves sucking on peppers and cucumber, same with bread. But if I feed her anything we don't have much luck. It all gets spat out. Not like on a 'yuck' way but just like she can't swallow it.

So she is having about 800-900ml of formula a day in five feeds. The formula tins say she should at seen months be on 600 (3x210) but she is way above this!

She shouldn't be dropping milk feeds at such a young age, not until she's able to swallow and digest larger meals and get the nutrition from them (around 9months food starts making up s higher proportion of calories and milk may start to reduce.

Totally normal for stuff to come back out again as gag reflex is really strong so they practice chewing before actually being able to chew and swallow. It's possible she still has some tongue thrust reflex too meaning milk is definitely her main food ATM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->