Help! Ate Raw chicken on accident!!!

Tiger22

Reaction score
I am 5 weeks & 5 days pregnant we went out to dinner Monday and I ate half of a chicken breast (it was covered in cheese & mushroom and mixed with mashed potatoes that is why I didn't notice right away!) Then I finally realized it was as RAW as can be!!! :nope: The manager claimed it was soaked in some saline solution and claimed I will be fine but I don't trust that would get rid of all the bacteria!!! I am so worried...it's been almost 48 hours since and so far no symptoms but I have read it can take up to 72 for salmonella symptoms, 5 days for campylobacter and toxoplasma has no symptoms.....I called my OB and all they said was there was nothing I can do but wait...this is torture...I really hope my baby is okay!!!

You probably don't have anything to worry about. It's rare that you would get poisoning in that manner. How pink was the chicken meat? Did you notice the texture was raw too?

Not sure how to upload a pic on here, we took a picture of it....it was completely Raw not just pink...My husband freaked out...the outside edges were cooked so i couldn't tell from looking at it and not exactly sure how much of the raw part I ate but it had to have been a few bites :( :(

I'm sorry, but raw chicken is completely unhealthy. It is not like beef where you can have different types of rare, chicken needs to be absolutely, completely COOKED. Even so, if you are not experiencing symptoms, you are probably fine. I don't think a couple of bites will be devastating to your health. I would, however, at least put a call in to the nurse and see what she says. And I would also make a MAJOR complaint to the restaurant! Cooking wise you shouldn't even use the same cutting boards for chicken and other meats. That is a big no no.

when i was eating luncheon meats "raw"/without cooking them, i didnt think anything was wrong until i saw all this nonsense on the internet about never eating deli meats during pregnancy because listeria can be fatal for the baby. i loved my deli meats cold as can be! devastating but i did get super worried about baby. baby ended up fine even after all that meat i ate with the bloodspots sometimes in it(i ofcourse cut those out because those always freak me out regardless). i stopped eating deli meats right away after i found out because i just dont like warm food at all so i gave mine all away to family.

I hope that manager compensated you in some way besides just telling you it's fine!! I would be livid! If it is a chain, I would definitely contact corporate.

I would try not to worry. Stress and worry isn't good for baby either. I know that is much much easier said than done. Huge hugs! I hope it all turns out fine and am sure it will if you just took a bite or two.

In Japan they eat raw chicken in some places...over here there isn't the same worry about Raw eggs and Raw meat as in US and UK...I would be a little upset if I ate pink chicken I must admit but I think it's probably a lot rarer to catch food poisoning from than people probably think. If it's okay for many people in Japan to eat raw chicken and it hasn't been linked to mass food poisoning, I think the chances are probably slim. Hopefully that puts your mind a little bit at ease?

You would likely be sick by now. I've had food poisoning 3 times from chicken (lucky me...) and I'm always sick within 12 hours.

Okay thanks for the responses...it has been 4 days since and still feeling fine...it can take up to 10 days until campylobacter can show so I'm still kind of worried. I talked with another manager and they said the chicken was frozen GFS brand so I think that is a little better than it being fresh from the farm...ugh I'm so disgusted and can't even look at chicken anymore! :growlmad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->