Help coming off depo to ttc?!

demi8451

Reaction score
Hiya!

Me and my partner have decided that we want to start trying for a baby, however, i'm still on the depo provera injection which doesn't run out until 17th March, this being my second injection.

Anybody have any tips on how I can prepare my body beforehand to perhaps make things easier for us?

I'm not having any bleeding on this injection, which is what i want back to normal! Killing me having to wait until march to try :(

Thanks to you all in advance x

Hello!

I found it took a while for my cycles to come back after coming off depo, but I don't think that's the case for everyone and I was on it a lot longer than you.

I don't know if taking conception vits would help but you should defo start taking those and eating really healthily (if you're not already) anyway.

I think they can give you something to kick start your cycles, but I was told that it would have to be at least 6 months before they'd do anything and they came back before that. My Dr told me before Christmas that depo can still be in your system for up to 2 years, I'd not heard that before and am sure previously I'd been told it was 12 months!

Really hope you get your cycle back quickly! xx

Thank you! I've just started taking well-woman vitamins but i may switch over to conception vitamins if they will help more.
I just really wish we could start trying now! I suppose it gives us time to plan everything out. My OH seems to be more impatient than me!! haha x

Yes conception vits are better for the folic acid, b vits and also you don't want too much vit a (I think it's vit a anyway) that you'll find in normal vits but not in conception ones.

That's good to hear he's really keen :) really hope it happens quickly for you. But whilst you're waiting try and do all the things you won't be able to do for a while when you're preggers and have a little one and have lots of fun to pass the wait

:) x

I think everyone comes off Depo differently, as I know 3 months after my last depo shot I was right back to having regular bleeds.

That said, I swapped from depo to BCPs for a year and then stopped all together. My first period came like clockwork and I had 28-30 day cycles with consistent ovulation.

Conceived 3 months after I stopped taking the BCPs.

I really think how quickly your body metabolizes the hormones has an impact on how quickly you return to "norm". I know that after my first depo shot, I stopped bleeding altogether and didn't bleed again until I came off of it. So I think that the quicker your body seemed to adjust to the depo, maybe the quicker it'll come off of it??

Advice for TTC after coming off, is to start taking lots of calcium supplements. Depo is known to cause osteoporosis in woman, and lactation and fetal development will also pull from your body's calcium stores. More calcium is going to be your friend.

You can also start temping, as that should help you see if the hormones are coming out of your system. You can google it better, but you're looking for temp rises to show that you're ovulating. Once you're ovulating again, it's full steam ahead for baby making :)

Yes conception vits are better for the folic acid, b vits and also you don't want too much vit a (I think it's vit a anyway) that you'll find in normal vits but not in conception ones.

That's good to hear he's really keen :) really hope it happens quickly for you. But whilst you're waiting try and do all the things you won't be able to do for a while when you're preggers and have a little one and have lots of fun to pass the wait

:) x

Thank you :) I was quite surprised actually, as he didn't take to the news the last time I was pregnant. Sadly I lost the baby at 8 weeks. So when I told him that I was sure if I was covered whilst on antibiotics and he said it doesn't matter and that he'd like a baby, you can imagine I was taken aback!

That sounds like a good idea though! :)

I think everyone comes off Depo differently, as I know 3 months after my last depo shot I was right back to having regular bleeds.

That said, I swapped from depo to BCPs for a year and then stopped all together. My first period came like clockwork and I had 28-30 day cycles with consistent ovulation.

Conceived 3 months after I stopped taking the BCPs.

I really think how quickly your body metabolizes the hormones has an impact on how quickly you return to "norm". I know that after my first depo shot, I stopped bleeding altogether and didn't bleed again until I came off of it. So I think that the quicker your body seemed to adjust to the depo, maybe the quicker it'll come off of it??

Advice for TTC after coming off, is to start taking lots of calcium supplements. Depo is known to cause osteoporosis in woman, and lactation and fetal development will also pull from your body's calcium stores. More calcium is going to be your friend.

You can also start temping, as that should help you see if the hormones are coming out of your system. You can google it better, but you're looking for temp rises to show that you're ovulating. Once you're ovulating again, it's full steam ahead for baby making :)

Thank you :) I will definitely be looking at calcium supplements and I will look into temping as that confuses me haha.

I've been reading a lot of good things about something called Agnus Castus, also known as Vitex. It apparently balances out hormones which aids conception and a healthy function. If taken whilst on depo I have read it cancels it out as it is evening out the hormones. So, i may give that a go. x

I'm really sorry to hear about your loss but so good to hear how eager he is this time!

I nearly took vitex last time
Round but didn't need to in the end. Sorry I meant to mention it before, could well make a difference. Xx

Hi :)

Currently 7 months of depo 'running out' had my first proper period :) starting OPKs this month. Fingers crossed i O! If not I am looking into soy isoflavones.

*baby dust*

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->