Help! Gestational sac but no baby

Bee Bee

Doula expecting #2
Reaction score
Hi ladies!

So, I am supposed to be 6+6 weeks today and I had my first ultrasound. My Doctor found the sac but both her and I could see that there was nothing in it. She said that I was either going to miscarry or it was too early to see anything. Of course though, I just miscarried last cycle so all I hear was the miscarry part. She did say that my sac seemed to be measuring more like the end of 5 weeks rather than the end of 6 weeks so perhaps it really is too early. I have another ultrasound next Monday to see if there is any change.

Does anyone have any stories to share about their similar experience? I've been looking around and it seems to be a fairly common occurrence that usually ends with baby being fine but I just need to hear some more stories!

Did you have an internal scan? Mine at what turned out to be 6.3 we couldn't see anything in it but then she did the transvaginal one and then we could see things.

Yes, it was an internal ultrasound. I've never even heard of them doing an external one this early

Are you sure about your dates? If you’re actually just under 6 weeks it sounds normal - plus in these early days just being off by a little can make a huge difference in what they can see!

Are you sure about your dates? If you’re actually just under 6 weeks it sounds normal - plus in these early days just being off by a little can make a huge difference in what they can see!

I am. I chart and I was also on femara this cycle so ovulation is pretty precise. I do have a friend that had this happen and she had IUI done but this still happened and the baby was still a week behind even though IUI is pretty spot on. My last "period" (I had a miscarriage so the day i started miscarrying is considered my LMP) was December 19, so I should technically be 7 weeks tomorrow. I suppose its possible the baby implanted later than normal and thus why it's behind.

Like I was saying, it seems like a really common thing that happens, where the timing doesnt match up but a baby still forms. I was just hoping to hear similar stories or insight. Because the other option is that it's a blighted ovum

I hope that it’s not that for you and that it is just a case of time to see more. Sorry I don’t have any experience to share on this but have my fx for you to see healthy baby with heartbeat at next scan

I am. I chart and I was also on femara this cycle so ovulation is pretty precise. I do have a friend that had this happen and she had IUI done but this still happened and the baby was still a week behind even though IUI is pretty spot on. My last "period" (I had a miscarriage so the day i started miscarrying is considered my LMP) was December 19, so I should technically be 7 weeks tomorrow. I suppose its possible the baby implanted later than normal and thus why it's behind.
This could well be the case, your body may not have started its new cycle until a few days into the m/c waiting for all hormoned to completely drop, so making little one smaller, fingers crossed for a little heartbeat next time!

My friend had the exact same thing, the doctor told her to expect the worst but they would follow up with a check. The next scan was totally fine! I'd say maybe implantation a little later than you expected?
You have to think though, babies grow at different rates, could have just started a touch behind, but may catch up! I know theres a lot less to see at 5 weeks than there is at 6-7 weeks, so it sounds like a lot happens in that small amount of time! Fingers crossed for you xx

At the first scan, 3 of my babies measured several days (3 or 4) behind my EDD based on LMP & ovulation. All of them were caught up though by the next scan.

I just assume I had slow starters, but the first time I was really anxious about it. fx for you

Don't worry. I had the same thing happen. I was supposed to be 6 weeks and 1 day and went in and all they saw was a sac measuring 5 weeks and 3 days (so 4 days behind) went back two weeks later and there was a baby with a heartbeat. My cycles are longer at 32 days. My doctor said it looked perfectly normal so don't lose hope. I don't understand why doctors say stuff like that :( all it does is cause worry and stress.

Don't worry about that, I went at 6 weeks and there was only a sac and no embryo. My Doc though was not too worried about that. We did abdominal and a vaginal scan, with my history I was worried sick, I was told to come back 2 weeks later and it was my worst 2 weeks. I went back as advised and woola, the baby was there. I'm 14 weeks now and everything is progressing well. Good luck

I had my ultrasound this morning and nothing had changed, Im supposed to be 8 weeks but my sac is still measuring at 5 weeks and with nothing in it. So, my doctor is positive that it's a blighted ovum. I'm to stop taking progesterone and hopefully I'll start miscarrying in the next 2 days to 2 weeks. I'm obviously just devastated especially considering I just had a miscarriage in December. I'm mostly just concerned about properly miscarrying at this point. A D & C is not something I can afford or want to go through again right now.

... I had a scan at three weeks because i popped a positives super early, they couldn't see anything at all.
I then had another scan at 6 weeks 2 days and the baby was big and had a heartbeat inside the sac with a yolk too.

So... I'm not sure if that's positive news or not, but potentially you could have your dates wrong. because i feel like by "six" weeks there would be something.

fingers crossed for you... i'm sure you are just very early.

what is your HCG? mine was 22,900 at 6w2days.

oh fucking shit. i didn't read anything in here. i'm so sorry. :( so so sorry.

</3 Heal your heart, and keep trying...

The first trimester is never certain for any of us :(

... Sending good vibes to you.

I had my ultrasound this morning and nothing had changed, Im supposed to be 8 weeks but my sac is still measuring at 5 weeks and with nothing in it. So, my doctor is positive that it's a blighted ovum. I'm to stop taking progesterone and hopefully I'll start miscarrying in the next 2 days to 2 weeks. I'm obviously just devastated especially considering I just had a miscarriage in December. I'm mostly just concerned about properly miscarrying at this point. A D & C is not something I can afford or want to go through again right now.

I am so so sorry. I understand how painful that is :( love and hugs coming your way!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->