Help, I messed up and now my supply is screwed :(

MrsH1980

Mummy to Myka
Reaction score
Any experts, BF champions please help!

Xander is 4 weeks old - I have BF from birth and, selfishly, I started pumping and getting others to feed him BM in a bottle and then succumbed to formula as I wasn't pumping often enough.

I have had a complete change of heart and want to get back to breastfeeding but my supply is screwed even though it's only been 1 day I haven't fed him or pumped and I have no idea how to get it back or what to do in the meantime?

Do I try him on breast at each feed and top up with formula? Do I pump and if yes, how often? Anything else I can do?

Please help; feel desperate and miserable x

Put him to the breast as often as possible! Try to avoid any bottles and only top up after he had a chance to empty both breast and only if you think he really needs more! He will probably eat every 1-2 hour for the next little while until your milk is back in full action. If its only been a few days since you've stopped feeding him, I'm sure your supply with catch up again.
Also lots of skin to skin and if you can, spend a few days in bed/ on the couch with him where he can nurse non stop!

Good luck hun!

What the above poster said (hope83), but keep a close eye on wet nappies to make sure he is getting enough. You need 6 heavy wet nappies a day x

Just nurse as often as humanly possible for a few days and it'll come right back. Your supply is still regulating so it's not all lost

Put LO at the breast as much as possible and stop the bottles. Also if you have the time pump after each feeding. Advice from my LC.

Same as what the other have said, but my gosh did you really deliver in your bathroom? Whoa!

As others have said, dump the bottles, breast feed as much as possible, and keep an eye on diapers to make sure he's getting enough. Another thing to remember is that you don't run out of milk. So, when your breast is empty, sucking will stimulate it to produce more milk. It will be more difficult for the baby to get milk and it won't come in as quickly, but your body will produce in response to the sucking.

Breastfeed him as often as you can. Have lots of skin to skin contact and try to keep him as awake as possible while feeding so that he doesn't fall asleep at the breast. You could also pump in between feeds to encourage the milk supply to build, and just freeze the milk for the future.

Any experts, BF champions please help!

Xander is 4 weeks old - I have BF from birth and, selfishly, I started pumping and getting others to feed him BM in a bottle and then succumbed to formula as I wasn't pumping often enough.

I have had a complete change of heart and want to get back to breastfeeding but my supply is screwed even though it's only been 1 day I haven't fed him or pumped and I have no idea how to get it back or what to do in the meantime?

Do I try him on breast at each feed and top up with formula? Do I pump and if yes, how often? Anything else I can do?

Please help; feel desperate and miserable x

If you want to pump to increase the supply you will want to do it in between feedings (so if you feed every two hours alternate so one hour you pump, the next you feed, the next you pump etc.) I had an issue with feeding from the breast so I now exclusively pump and feed my little guy from a bottle. I had an issue with supply so I started taking Fenugreek and Brewer's Yeast and I make lactation cookies (which are really good, and healthy for you too!) within a couple of days I went from producing 1/4 oz. an hour to 1 oz an hour, sadly it seems I have peaked at 1 an hour.

Hope this helps! Good luck with BF again :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgess422
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->