Help! I'm breastfeeding and I think morning sickness is drying up my supply!

I don't have any personal experience with this. But I would drink a lot of extra water. Because the only reason I can think of for why ms would dry up your milk is due to dehydration.

Pregnancy can dry up your supply. It's different for all women but there are quite a few resources out there, the womanly art of breastfeeding, adventures in tandom nursing ad have a look here https://kellymom.com/tandem-faq/16milkchanges/

There are also a lot of good support groups on Facebook etc x

I would suggest upping your water intake. I provide breast feeding support for my job! I think if you're not eating properly or vomiting a lot you are probably dehydrated and drying up.

Thanks ladies...I'm so upset about it. I tried formula but he hated it. I have to supplement or he won't get enough. I'm also just not ready to wean.

I'm struggling with this too. Not only is morning sickness preventing me from drinking enough, but I had a severe bout of gastro a couple of weeks ago that almost completely dried up my supply.
My lo is completely uninterested in taking the breast anymore. I'm pumping as much as I can and mixing it with formula.

So sorry ssjad! It's so tough!! My son is still waking hourly at night....and I don't have enough to pump then...he must be so hungry. Have you supplemented with formula yet? I really wanted to put it off as long as possible but I don't think I can go anymore.

Yes, combining formula with breastmilk now. Otherwise she'd starve!

Yep me too!! He just started this week...so far it's going well!

It's kind of sad, isn't it? I wasn't ready to give up breastfeeding yet :-/

I didn't nurse through pregnancy but I nursed through several illnesses and stomach bugs.
It was definitely the dehydration that affected supply the most, once I was rehydrated and had eaten some milk supply encouraging foods it improved and went back to normal with a little extra help from ds cluster feeding.
If your ms is bad enough to be affecting your milk, I would be off to the doctor to get some medication for it.
Xx

Thank you Raspberry! I'm calling my dr today...this is awful!

I know so heartbreaking...I'm not ready either but I don't really have an option :( I. Still going to continue breastfeeding...just also supplementing.

Hopefully you should get your supply back up even if not fully, any amount of breast milk is beneficial xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->