Help, low sperm count, slow mobility

brutus09

Reaction score
I just found out after a year and a half of trying that it is my husband, and not me that has the fertility issue. ](*,) To me it would have been easier for it to be me. I can't control him, and I don't know what to do.

Any suggestions?

He won't quit smoking, and that is a cause of slow/lack of sperm. :cry:

So does anyone know what I should do? What he should take? Or is IVF what I have to look forward too? I can't afford that. :nope::help:

Hi sorry to hear that after so long you just found this out. I don't think IVF is your only option. IUI is what I think a lot of people do if DH has this little issue. IUI is MUCH cheaper than IVF also so that might be something to look into. Its what I'm doing right now actually. We thought IVF was our only option but we went to another place and they said IUI would work for us. IVF was something we just couldn't afford. Hope this helps a little bit, I know it can be frustrating!

Try to :) and tell yourself that it will be ok :flower:

Sorry to sound dumb, but what does IUI exactly entail? I've only got to the point to where I thought I should be on Clomid and have been so focused on it being MY FAULT, that I haven't even considered anything else. :dohh:

You can try fertile aid for men, i got it from amazon for under $20. Also make sure he takes a multivitamin everyday. This is what we tried and i got my BFP right away! my dh also smokes

No it's not a problem so nothing to be sorry for. I really new to this so I don't know very much at all. IUI (Intrauterine insemination) is where they take DH sperm and place it inside you during O. That is a very basic explanation of it but I found a site that explains it a lot more.

https://www.americanpregnancy.org/infertility/iui.html

Hopefully that gives you a little more info. :) Cost compared is extremely different. My insurance covers nothing on infertility. Some do though so you might want to look into places around there that offer IUI and IVF and see if they can tell you what the best choice is for you. I'm almost very sure they would say IUI with what you have said.

My husband has lower sperm count than normal and we did IUI and Clomid and we got pregnant the first time (miscarried :( ) and then pregnant again next time and now we have a wonderful baby boy! IUI is EASY; after doing HSG (the dye test) on me and other tests I did Clomid on day 3-7 (period day 1) but it varies a little what time they say. Then I took ovulation tests and the day I got a positive I called the place to let them know. Went in the day after, my husband did his thing, the sperm was "cleaned" and concentrated. Then over to get the IUI done, they put it in a small "syringe" and put it in me. Did not hurt at all and I just laid down for 10 minutes afterwards. The total cost including clomid was $150 but we are military so it might be different outside the military.

Well whether you can conceive naturally or not depends on how low the sperm count is , you should also not accept MFI diagnosis off of one SA because sperm count and health can fluctuate a great deal. My DH has got me pregnant naturally twice with a low count of 16 million and low motility . so it can still happen naturally. my DH was put on HCG shots and tamoxifen and its helping increase the sperm count and motility.

I looked into IUI if we aren't pregnant by the end of the year. My gyno is in a local hospital so I would have to go there for it and it would cost us $300, which even though seems like a lot is very cheap compared to the other option. We actually thought it'd be much more than that. Still hoping we won't have to do it as I really want our baby conceived "naturally".

Well whether you can conceive naturally or not depends on how low the sperm count is , you should also not accept MFI diagnosis off of one SA because sperm count and health can fluctuate a great deal. My DH has got me pregnant naturally twice with a low count of 16 million and low motility . so it can still happen naturally. my DH was put on HCG shots and tamoxifen and its helping increase the sperm count and motility.

This makes me feel alot better. :hugs:

I looked into IUI if we aren't pregnant by the end of the year. My gyno is in a local hospital so I would have to go there for it and it would cost us $300, which even though seems like a lot is very cheap compared to the other option. We actually thought it'd be much more than that. Still hoping we won't have to do it as I really want our baby conceived "naturally".

That's a great price. I hope it's the same around here if that is what I have to do. Thank ya'll for all the support. I love love love this board. :hugs:

I've just ordered some Maca for my hubby and I for this very reason - we're TTC after his vasectomy reversal. Maca can increase motility and count by up to 200% apparently ... not sure if it'll work but i'd rather give it a go before i commited to spend £££££ on fertility treatments at this stage.

Might be worth looking at for your hubby too?

Good luck hun

Cold water on the testes and caffeine before bding!

'Sperm count reduces when the temperature of testicles increases. Temperature of testicles increases by using tight pants, undergarments, hot water showers, sauna etc. Avoiding these causes help to increase sperm count. Washing testicles with cold water after bath help to increase sperm count and sperm motility.'

Good luck.

I've just ordered some Maca for my hubby and I for this very reason - we're TTC after his vasectomy reversal. Maca can increase motility and count by up to 200% apparently ... not sure if it'll work but i'd rather give it a go before i commited to spend £££££ on fertility treatments at this stage.

Good luck hun

Thanks, I'll have to try this too. And I'm gonna wash them peanuts with some cold water. :haha:

Have him drink a Monster one hour before BDing it gives the sperm a huge boost in speed. if you cant find a monster drink in your area a strong cup of coffee works too .

Good luck hun

Chatty what maca did you get for hubby, I havent got my hubby on that think I may give it a go

I ordered it from EBay! It's the 900mg ones at 10:1 ratio, so pretty strong! I've just ordered CQ10 at 300mg too - its supposed to be brilliant for egg quality and sperm motility!

The things you learn on B&B!! How did anyone ever manage to conceive without it lol

Are you taking them aswell or just your husband?

Can you take them even tho I have hubby on Wellman and Phycognel (sp)??

We had same concerns but only found out when TTC no2! DH had a sperm sample after 1yr when TTC no 1 but we found out we were pregnant the day before my HSG and before we got the results.
When TTC no 2 the dr looked back at the result and found count at just 3 mil with poor motility! After taking well man tablets the count went up to 11mil with improved motility. We did 1 x IUI and conceived on the first try. Good luck, I hope you get your BFP soon x

I just found out after a year and a half of trying that it is my husband, and not me that has the fertility issue. ](*,) To me it would have been easier for it to be me. I can't control him, and I don't know what to do.

Any suggestions?

He won't quit smoking, and that is a cause of slow/lack of sperm. :cry:

So does anyone know what I should do? What he should take? Or is IVF what I have to look forward too? I can't afford that. :nope::help:

I know exactly what you mean. I've been making all these adjustments and I just pray it's me rather than him because I know I could make myself change some things but like you said I can't make him do anything. I've been taking somethings like Fertilaid and FertilCM and drinking at-least 3 bottles of water and it has made a big difference in my CM. So now I watch throw back 3-4 Pepsi's a day and I think "that can NOT be good for his "soldiers":winkwink:. He wants a baby bad too so I dangle that in front of him while trying to make him drink at-least 1 bottle of water...lol. I also make sure he takes his vitamins and I just ordered him "Fertility Blend" that just came today... :D yay! So when it's time I take him his vitamins and water and baby him up...I just learned how to make it work for him. It's easier than it was...

Hi there - I wanted to give you some hope. We are on the same boat too. My hubby's count were around 6-7million. I was devastated. After we found this out, we stopped trying and wanted to take a break. It was too stressful for the both of us. So, we stopped trying in May 2011 but I continued on with my metformin (really to lose weight) and by July 2011, we found out we were pregnant! Unfortunately, lost the pregnancy at 8weeks.

My hubby was and still is very diligent about taking his vitamins. He did a lot of research and he's taking all kinds of stuff. He's taking Salba, Usana vitamins, Flax seed oils and he's working out religiously.

... It can happen :) Goodluck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->