help me get over my breastfeeding in public anxiety

catty

Reaction score
So I no in this day and age a woman can breastfeed in public and not be completely gawped at but im getting so stressed over it.

with my son I tried so hard to get breastfeeding going at the start, he had a great latch, didnt hurt me that much and he gained weight well.
I just couldnt cope with the fact I had sooo many visitors and he wanted fed every 2 hours, this resulted in me getting so anxious as I had to leave the room and hide away somewhere.

I went a walk once and he needed fed, he was screaming and instead of just feeding him I walked all the way home incase anyone seen me feed him :(:(:(

I no alot of people wont understand this as its natural and I dont have crazily weird boobs that I dont want anyone to see or anything I just dont no what my problem is??

So basically does anyone have any good tips to get over this? How did you feed infront of male family members or did you go to a different room. I no if it was just my little family members wed get on fine but its when visitors come over and im meant to entertain and feed.

I no its completely ridiculus but I REALLY want to breastfeed this baby but scared itl happen again.

It really stresses me out too, but I use a cover to feed in front of other people. It is a pain but it allows me to at least attempt, the issue with it in public is that the faff of putting it on draws attention. It had been getting easier but my LO is so long and heavy I'm still pretty bad at is which doesn't help.

I also found feeding in breast feeding friendly places (baby groups, weighing clinic) made making the first step easier x

I used a cover in the beginning while I was getting more comfortable with it. I also got practice feeding in public at mom and baby groups where no one cares. I stopped using a cover recently and honestly no one looks or says anything. It takes about two seconds to get him latched then it just looks like I'm holding my baby and that's it.

This email course is great https://gentleparentinfo.com/BadassPublicBreastfeeder.html

Start practicing at home how you could discreetly nurse in public. I remember with DS I used to banish myself to the car or a bathroom (gross) while nursing until I realized how much time I wasted. Now my DS is four and it's almost impossible to search out a private rest spot when DD wants to eat.

My trick that helps me without a cover-- wear a nursing cami under my regular shirt. I unstrap it, pull up top shirt and place baby, then use top shirt to conceal any skin exposure.

You just have to practice. I don't run into another room with company. In fact at home will nurse without the extra hassle of covering up as long as someone isn't right next to me. I refuse to let myself feel weird about breastfeeding my child!

Could you be more strict about visitors at the beginning until you feel more comfortable with the whole thing? Tell them what time they can come and say no-one can stay more than 1hr in those first few weeks. Then you can get the hang of it and practice using a cover - plus it isn't your job to entertain visitors when you are a new Mum; they are either there to make life easier for you or they can go away IMO.

Practise in front of a mirror - it will help you remember that your view from above is very different to what anybody else will see. From above, you can see any boob exposed above the nipple but to somebody else, all they can usually see is your baby's head! Anybody looking will be looking at the baby, not you :) I suppose you could even practise with a doll or teddy before LO arrives. If you do the two tops trick, there won't even be any skin out anyway. Even if LO pulls back and your nipple is exposed, unless LO pulls right off your knee his/her head will still block anybody's view.

I use a swaddling cloth and tuck it into both bra straps, and tuck it under his head. Once it's there I pop out my boob and I can peek inside to help lo latch. In the early days it's tougher because you will have to put lo on the breast but now at 5 months my son can latch himself.

Practicing while you have company might help. When I had people over in the early days I would just say "Feeding baby now, hopefully nobody minds!"

I think the key to keep in mind is that if someone even notices in public, they don't care. That's my experience :)

Thank you! Im definately goig to look into the different clothes etc and the cover.
its weird because in the hospital with him I didnt even care, when we were in neonatal I breastfed him and a dad was at the next incubator and cleaners etc came in and I wasnt bothered, so strange how I got like that.
I breastfed him 3 weeks and then pumped for 6 weeks, this time id really like to do it at least 3 minths thats my initial goal x

Go to peer support groups or breastfeeding groups - it's a good way to ease yourself in because you know everyone there will totally support you feeding in front of them.

Go to peer support groups or breastfeeding groups - it's a good way to ease yourself in because you know everyone there will totally support you feeding in front of them.

Exactly this - places you know others will be breastfeeding are much easier to start in. Also practice your clothes and bra technique at home. At first I preferred a button shirt or similar item where I could bf and see everything clearly. Then when I was used to bf myself at home I moved to wearing tops that I could pull up, with a cami vest below that I could pull down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->