Help my 3 week old will not sleep!!!

xLuciax

TTC #4
Reaction score
I feel like I'm ready to tear my hair out some nights he won't sleep 1 wink and the most sleep I'll get is 2 hours max! I'm exhausted and the lack of sleep is so stressful we thought it was the Moses basket but he's got used to sleeping in that in the day now so that's not the issue I breast feed him and we thought that the breast milk wasn't enough at night so I started formula feeding him at night but that did not work does anyone have any advice for an exhausted mummy!

Charlie was like this at 3 weeks! She just woudnt sleep, she seems to have settled into a routine over the last few days (she is 5 weeks now). goes down at 11 wakes at 5 then sleeps till 8! I didnt really do anything just slept when i could and she settled herself (im going to be pulling my hair out tonight if i have just jinxed myself!!!)

It is tiring but hopefully should pass!

Your baby is still so very little.

How well does he sleep during the day? Do you make sure to differentiate day from night - show him lots of daylight, normal household noises etc?

Your baby may have their day and night muddled up. I know it's common to not wake a sleeping baby, but during the day try not to let him sleep for too long.

Babies that tend to sleep a lot during the day, especially those that sleep for very long periods (which would be 2-3 hours for a baby the age of yours), can end up waking more often at night to feed and make up the calories they need to grow.

What does the baby do when he walks at night - is he hungry? Playful? Crying?

As someone else said, how much is he sleeping during the day? It may be that he has day and night confused. Jasper was like this so we've been waking him to feed every three hours during the day, keeping the house bright and normally noisy etc, then having everything dark and quiet in the evening and overnight. He's slowly starting to get it; this might be worth trying for you?

xxx

Big hugs to you-it is so hard.

Like others have said it could be the muddling of day and night.

Our LO rarely slept longer than an hour before waking screaming at that age. It took 8 weeks and co sleeping before she would sleep through (5hrs or more). LO didnt sleep much n the day either.

If she is sleeping for longish periods in the day maybe try to keep her more stimulated-picture cards, songs, tummy-raspberry time, changing her bum, etc, etc.

It is hard-i bet you get almost no sleep-but it will get better!:winkwink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->