Help! Smelly nappies :(

jms895

Reaction score
Help needed ladies please!

Have been using cloth a few weeks now and not sure if I am washing wrong (ie wrong temp, too much detergent) :shrug: but sometimes Caine's nappies stink! Not straight out of the wash, but when he has had them on a few hours :( also he seems to be wet/damp after a little time

Any ideas? I really want to get this right.... :flower:

Am currently washing the machine out, do I need to put anything in it and do a strip wash? Maybe someone could help me in what I need to do for that?

Jade xx

I know that some people do strip washes with the full amount of detergent and LOTS of rinsing, but last week, after a normal wash, I put my nappies back in with no detergent on a 75* wash and they came out smelling of....nothing!!! :D

Right thank you :D

I will try that.

Am sick of OH moaning saying the nappies are crap :dohh: which I know isnt the case and they should not smell like that :shrug: its just a few of them.
xx

I found my BG's all stank! So I got rid of them all. I dont mean as in 'stink' bcause they need a strip wash, I dunno what they use in them but my god they stink when peed in!

Oooh so its not just me then.... thank goodness! Thought I was doing something wrong.... OH is taking piss calling him a stinky baby :grr: think he wants me using disposables again......
What are main things I can do to stop this anyone?
Thanks xxx

What detergent do you use Jade?

I use soapnuts on mine, although Im not a fan of their smell either, but smells so much nicer than piss huh!

Have you tried nappisan?

I use nappisan in the pre-wash draw, (I alternate this with vanish) soapnuts to wash in with lavender and grapefruit oil in the fabric conditioner draw, then do another quick rinse and spin. works for me:thumbup:

Jacs, I just use non-bio... and use half the normal amount...

Nope never tried Soapnuts, heard of them but no idea what they are or where to get from :blush: HELP??!!

Napisan no not used that either :shrug:

So should I try..... napisan every other wash in normal drawer, Soap nuts in conditioner draw..... Also I dont use lanvedar oil.... i have some tho?

Thanks your a star xx

nope, what I do is I put them on a normal 40 degree wash, then add a pre-wash. I put the soapnuts in the drum in their bag, then put a scoop of napisan or vanish in the pre-wash drawer, (I alternate each wash) napisan gets rid of nasty smells, vanish makes em nice n white and helps get shut of stains.

I have two little bottles of lavender essential oil and grapefruit oil and I put a couple of drops pf each in the conditioner drawer. wash.

Then I do an extra rinse and spin with nothing in draw/drum. :thumbup:

you can get the soapnuts and oils from here https://www.inasoapnutshell.com/id1.html

I agree with the vanish/napisan as thats what i do :D but i wash on a 60 ive not had a problem with nappies smelling but i use bold 2 in 1 to wash :D Ive done 2 strip washes since i started using cloth but that was because i used cheapy powder and it left a build up and my nappies leaked :(

I'd definitely try adding some essential oils to the wash and napisan too. You also need to make sure they are absolutely BONE DRY before putting them on him. I put a blend of tea tree, orange and lemon oils in the softener drawer to neutralise any niffs. If you are tumble drying you can put a few drops of oil on a cotton wool ball or a wipe and that will evaporate in to the moist air as they are drying.

Sorry if this is a silly question, but Im an utter cloth-virgin at the mo, :haha: but what is a strip wash? And would Jasmine essential oil be safe to use? xx

Strip washing is to remove any build up of detergents that stop nappies performing properly ie soaking efficiently. You hot wash the nappies with a full dose of powder then repeatedly run the rinse cycle till no suds show in the machine window. You do it every so often but it's not needed if you use Soap Nuts which dont build up. :)

my wash routine is cold rinse, wash on 60 with about a quarter of the recommended bold 2 in 1 gel/powder, then rinse again. I've only had to strip wash when i've had preloved nappies that needed it with this routine but pop whatever needs washing in at the same time. I've had a couple of stinky ones preloved, microfibre being the worst offender but they've been fine with my wash routine :)

I put a little baking soda in my loads and never have problems with smell :)

The key is def not using too much detergent and making sure they are properly rinsed x

we only use non-bio liquid but want to try bold 2 in 1 but do they do it in a non-bio?

Nope, Bold is a bio with clay based softner (only type ok for nappies) x

I found my BG's all stank! So I got rid of them all. I dont mean as in 'stink' bcause they need a strip wash, I dunno what they use in them but my god they stink when peed in!

I ditched my stinky reusables too - you name it, I done it, to try & eridicate the ammonia smell. Resorted to soaking them in soda crystals, which turned the water yellow, so it obviously drew the urine out. Then rinsed each one by hand under the power shower - it took me ages....... Was determined to thoroughly strip them.

But.... it didnt last long before they started smelling again ( a cross between musty & ammonia), despite always drying them on the line. Couldnt bear it any longer & switched to disposables (Nature Baby ones).

Looking back I blame my old washing machine, dont think it done a very good job of washing clothes. I've since replaced my washing machine & clothes come out alot cleaner.

OK ladies thanks for all your help, have been on a mission today/ Went shopping for soap nuts and could not find anywhere :dohh: but will try the link Jacs and also the oils seems a good idea too!

I have bought napisan and have cleaned out the washer a few times on boil wash with bio and soda crystals... normally use low temp wash and non bio so needs a good clear out I think.....

Will try washing all the nappies tomorrow as you said (and strip wash) and see if that helps

Thanks everyone :hugs:

PS: these soap nuts - how much do you use per wash? xx

I always do Evie's nappies on a 40 degree wash with a prewash and an extra rinse, just to make sure there's no suds left. I use Surf with Essential Oils and they always come out smelling great :)
I have noticed that Evie's nightime PopIns smell something awful the next morning tho and the wash I do still manages to get the stink out :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->