HELP!-Weaning Virgin!!!!-I need advice!

Becki77

Mummy of 2 little men!
Reaction score
Hello, If your reading this hopefully you will have some advice for me!!!

Im planning to start weaning my son in the next few days or so, hes only 14 weeks old but in my opinion is showing signs of being ready! He watches every move i make when i eat and even licks his lips- im guessing this is a sign of wanting to try some of what ive got?!

Anyway how do i do it?!
Ive got the equipment i need and brought some stage 1 rice & porridge today.
But whats the best way to start?
Do i give him 1 spoonful for afew days then increase it or should i be giving him more? I really dont have a clue! Please help!!!
Thanks Girls any help is much appreciated!

xx
Added: 17/1/2009- Im adding more information because people seem to have misunderstood my original post! Other reasons why i think Jaiden is ready to be weaned are, recently waking up through the night 2/3 times when he previously used to sleep atleast 8 hours solid throughtout the night. He now wakes for a feed 2/3 times and then goes back to sleep. He is also still hungry following a 7oz feed.
I have spoken to my health visitor about this who agrees with me that he is ready to start solids and some babies are just naturally hungrier than others! He is a fair size baby!
The advice i was after was how people have successfully gone about weaning i.e have they give 1 spoonful once a day for 1 week then increased the amount of solids given or have you done it a different way. Also what time of day did you try to feed your little one?
xx

Hi due date twin! I don't know, but I am curious too! I want to start right away as well. I think I may wait until the end of the month.

I really wouldn't do it yet. He is interested just because he's interested in you, that really isn't a sign of his body actually being ready for it. Here is a really good site that explains why it's so important to hold off until 6mo

https://askdrsears.com/html/3/T032000.asp

Babies are ready at all different ages... Some are ready earlier then others, starting off with a little rice cereal will not hurt one bit. You can read different things on the interenet all you want, soem say to wait, some say to start when you think your baby is ready.

Jasmine has a small bowl of rice cereal right now in the evenings and enjoys it quite alot.

Ya, I would start with a small amount and work your way up. It is usually iron fortified which can sometimes cause costipation, but they are old enough for some water now too.

That's just not true, rice CAN hurt them, there is a reason for the recommendations, there is research backing it up. Yes, some kids might be ready before 6mo but MOST babies aren't until around 6mo and just because they are interested in food doesn't make them ready. It can cause lifetime problems, just rice cereal. Rice cereal too early can cause diabetes in adulthood, increases risk of obesity, digestion problems among other things. I haven't seen any credible site, doctor that says 2-3mo is ok for solids...even rice cereal. It can hurt them, I don't get why people tell people to do things with their kids that there is clear research proving it can cause harm. Everyone is going to do what they feel is best for their kids but I really think people should pay a bit more attention to the research so atleast you know what your risking doing it

I really wouldn't do it yet. He is interested just because he's interested in you, that really isn't a sign of his body actually being ready for it. Here is a really good site that explains why it's so important to hold off until 6mo

https://askdrsears.com/html/3/T032000.asp

Surprise !!!

As said... babies are ready for weaning at all different stages. Just try a spoonful a day half away through a feed, and see if babe takes the spoon well, and is happy afterwards.

:hug:

https://pediatrics.about.com/cs/agesstages/a/four_months.htm

Written by an M.D... someone QUALIFIED to give advice.

Yes... milk IS all baby needs at 4 months... BUT... that's what weaning is... it's familiarisation.. and it states in this article that it is perfectly safe to start to introduce baby food at 4 months.... people on here who are asking about feeding there babies solids ar enot saying they are going to feed them a three course roast dinner... they want to know how to start their baby with rice/cereal.

I understand that you are a firm believer in the whole '6 months' thing... but that is your opinion, and you shouldn't be forcing it on everyone else. Every mother has read the guidelines, and knows what the 'research' is stating, but at the end of the day, every one wants/knows their baby better than anyone else, and wouldn't do something that would harm their child. Get off your soapbox, and allow people to make informed decisions by hearing advice and information from all aspects. That's what this site is for.

Thanks for all your replys.
I wasnt after advice on whether i should wait until 6 months or not! I am a nurse and fully aware of the implications it can or cannot cause, although everyone has their own opinions, i will be starting to wean Jaiden at 4 months.
I just dont really know how to do it! Im certainly not planning to give him a roast dinner within afew weeks! Just alittle rice everyday and slowly increasing it.

Mommyof3co- In the uk Health Visitors advice to start weaning babies at 4 months if they are a 'hungry' baby, but just to stick to rice, fruit and veg due to the possibility of developing allergies.

Wendio- Hi! Its been a while since ive been on here, hope you and your gorgeous little girl are well?

And thanks to everyone elses comments-I do appreciate them.xx

https://pediatrics.about.com/cs/agesstages/a/four_months.htm

Written by an M.D... someone QUALIFIED to give advice.

Yes... milk IS all baby needs at 4 months... BUT... that's what weaning is... it's familiarisation.. and it states in this article that it is perfectly safe to start to introduce baby food at 4 months.... people on here who are asking about feeding there babies solids ar enot saying they are going to feed them a three course roast dinner... they want to know how to start their baby with rice/cereal.

I understand that you are a firm believer in the whole '6 months' thing... but that is your opinion, and you shouldn't be forcing it on everyone else. Every mother has read the guidelines, and knows what the 'research' is stating, but at the end of the day, every one wants/knows their baby better than anyone else, and wouldn't do something that would harm their child. Get off your soapbox, and allow people to make informed decisions by hearing advice and information from all aspects. That's what this site is for.

Well Said!!!

Just start by giving him a few spoons of rice.. he may not like rice. Caitlyn wouldn't take it, so she started on porridge. At first she only took 2 small spoonfulls and it was mainly to get her used to the texture and taste. It builds up gradually.

Personally, i used jars to familiarise myself with what tastes she does and doesnt like. I tried her on pureed carrot first but it just didnt work for us as i couldnt get all the lumps out, she wouldn't have it. Now she is half and half pureed fed and jar fed. Good luck hun
xxx

I recently went to a weaning party at the sure start childrens centre. They are extrememly helpful. The advice was to start with the 11 feed ( or midday feed) Give them half their bottle of milk/ breastfeed. Then give them some baby rice followed with the rest of the bottle. Do this for a week. Then start by giving it on the morning feed they advise to build them up to three meals a day just giving a little then once they are eating a little three times a day start to increase the feeds.

I found the course extremely helpful and walked away with loads of advice and recipes. They also teach you to make your own food and how to introduce puree then lumpy food and then finger foods.

My son is only 2 and half months old but going away on holiday for a month and half thought I would get the info in as I want to start weaning when he is 4 months. He is a hungry baby and the GP advised us to start weaning at 4 months. The advice is to start weaning at 6 months but again this is a recommendation. They keep changing the recommendations so I listen take on board then make my own decision.

Hi Becki! Yup I am doing well, except that Helena seems to be going through this phase where everything in the house bores her and she whines all the time unless I take her outside. She has started already and its only 9 am, lol. Hows Jaiden? I like your new avatar, hes a cutie pie!

If your afraid rice may cause constipation you can try some baby oatmeal :) I gave max some at 3 months old due to his reflux and he loved it ..I started with 1 spoonfull for a few days then increased and hes been fine ever since ..good luck and keep us posted hun !

I'm not forcing it on anyone else, I gave the information, but everytime I do someone is saying it's wrong. I didn't go in and say what anyone else had said was wrong, just gave info for the OP to have to make her own decision...that's not forcing it on anyone else. I also know that some people do still recommend 4-6, I said no one credible says it's ok for a 2-3mo old to have it which is what I see people on here saying is "just fine" all the time. There is a reason for recommendations and research to back it up. I only put that info out there when I see these posts so people do know and realize the risk they may be taking, once you do it and your baby has an adverse reaction there is no taking it back. I'm not trying to force anything, just give people information so they have both sides to make their decision

Blergh at links :lol:

I don't like that Dr Sears :rofl: he pops up a lot (people on here linking).

Anyway each baby has different needs at different stages - Mums start at different stages however I was lead to believe in the UK anyway if you start before the 6 months it was something you should discuss with your HV ...no?

Personally myself I would talk to HV before weaning so soon. :D Caitlin always watched us eatting and I think it helped her when that time came but us personally didn't start her that early because we didn't feel that was the needed sign also I believe its easy to confuse other things with signs for weaning like growth spurts?

Anyway totally up to you as Mum ...

x

I agree with Wobbles. Erin has been watching us eat for months but I didn't take it as a sign either. I started her on solids on friday as she will be 6 months this week but she doesn't seem that interested. So far she has had rice and carrot. She much prefers her milk.

i didnt really use her watching me eat as a sign either... cos courtney has been doing this for ages...

it was when her sleep was interupted again and she was grizzly trying to settle in the middle of the night... and i felt she was unsatisfied after her milk and she started to have a 6th feed!!

I only started just over a week ago... didnt last long on baby rice ... did it for 2 days and on the 3rd day I realised that she really didnt like it... but she took the spoon well...
so now shes having carrot and swede but still having the same amount of milk lol

its confusing especially with all books and websites telling different things... just go with your instincts and you will know if your LO wants it or not :)

Thanks everyone for your replys.

Incase anyone elses reads this thread, i checked with my Health Visitor today and you CAN start safely weaning from 4 calender months!

So i will be starting it from the end of next week!!!!
My health visitor thinks Jaiden and i will most certainly benefit from weaning at 4 months espically as he wakes for feeds every 4 hours through the night!!!!!
Anyway thanks for all your input xx

i started zane on baby rice the other day and he has a very small bowl full at 6pm of what is recomended on the box that shud be made for a 4 month old.

i dont think anyone can really say if weaning at a certain stage can cause any harm because no child is the same and what can hurt one might not even effect the other.

i have to say baby rice hasnt changed zanes toilet habit at all he still goes 1-3 times a day

Thanks for all your replys.
I wasnt after advice on whether i should wait until 6 months or not! I am a nurse and fully aware of the implications it can or cannot cause, although everyone has their own opinions, i will be starting to wean Jaiden at 4 months.
I just dont really know how to do it! Im certainly not planning to give him a roast dinner within afew weeks! Just alittle rice everyday and slowly increasing it.

Mommyof3co- In the uk Health Visitors advice to start weaning babies at 4 months if they are a 'hungry' baby, but just to stick to rice, fruit and veg due to the possibility of developing allergies.

Wendio- Hi! Its been a while since ive been on here, hope you and your gorgeous little girl are well?

And thanks to everyone elses comments-I do appreciate them.xx

I love this!!:happydance::rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"