Help with begging cat

WantsALittle1

Reaction score
I need some help with my cat, as she is becoming a bit of a safety hazard in our household.

Steadily over the last 2 years she has become a more and more forcible beggar for food. We used to have her on demand feeding, but after multiple visits to multiple vets (we moved a lot), every single one has said she is overweight. As a result we've had to switch to two feedings a day, and since then the begging behavior started.

Because of the layout of our apartment, we keep her litter, food, and water in a coat closet by the front door. It's right near the kitchen and dining room. Starting at around 6:00am, Kitty will sit by my side of the bed and paw me to be fed. If I don't feed her right away, she will follow me around the house, circling around my feet while I walk, and I have tripped over her many, many times. Now that I walk around with a newborn on my boob a lot (chasing my toddler around), this is a major safety hazard and I've had to lock her in the bedroom (away from her litter and food/water) for hours at a time. I do this because we are trying to stick to two feeding times--8am and 8pm. We do this because sometimes we wake up at 6:30 but other times not until 8, and we want her feeding time to be consistent but to allow us the chance to sleep in sometimes.

So basically from 6:30a - 8:00a, she is locked in the room so she won't follow me around. At 8:00a I let her out and feed her, and then… she goes right back to the begging behavior! She will do this until about noon, when she finally gives up. Then the behavior starts up again around 5:00pm (again she doesn't get fed until 8:00p) and she will do it until we go to bed around 10:30, even after she's been fed.

It's become pretty insane, and nothing we do (spray bottle, chasing her back into the bedroom, taking away her food bowl) will deter her from this obsessive behavior. We cannot go back to demand feeding because of her weight issue. She does not have diabetes (we recently had her blood checked). What should I do?

I'm thinking the only option will end up being that we'll have to move her food and water into our bedroom. This isn't a horrible idea, but in our bedroom it will be a target for our toddler, will make our room smell like fish, and when she barfs (as she often does after eating her food too fast) it'll be on carpet instead of tile :/

how about splitting the same amount of food over more feeds? Is she on a low fat food already?
Or, are there any fat free treats for cats? Could you even try slices of fruit/veg? i know my old cat would pretty much try anything lol!
How about exercise? does she get outside or is she an indoor cat? Does she have like a climbing tower you could encourage her to play on?

what do u feed her/

We give each of our cats two pouches of food per day, and leave out full bowls of water and dry biscuits and they are fine with this.x

Try food from natural instinct it's got everything in it she needs plus lower for her. My cat find this so I have given her two meat sachets a day but split into 4 feeds and she gets biscuits just a small amount xx

How about smaller, more frequent meals - sort of like feeding her on demand, but just small amounts each time, that's what we did. I don't know whether you feed her meat or biscuits, but my cat at mum's is quite sicky on meat but is hardly ever sick with biscuits. Over here, in Pets at Home, I think, they sell bowls for dogs which have a big sticky up bit in the middle so they have to eat slower, which might make her less sicky? Or treat balls, where you could put some biscuits in for her and she has to roll the ball around to get the treats out. Or what about those Kong toys? They do small ones, for puppies and even some for rabbits. Why not stuff one with some meat, freeze it even, then she will have to really work to get her meal.

To solve her begging before you're ready to get up what about getting one of those timer dishes - you put food in the compartments and set a time(s) for the lid(s) to open.

Also can you split her daily allowance out more so she's getting little and often? Might help with her being sick too if the portion she wolfs down is smaller?

My girl cat is a greedy one,always wanting more food too. She does love attention though, so playing with her and giving her other interests (like bird watching on the balcony lol) helps keep her mind off her belly. I think its just her way though, even after general anaesthetic and being really ill, once home she staggered to her bowl like it was her only friend in the world :wacko:

Our cats beg when my dh is eating, his fault lol. Mine have 2 pouches a day, always fed at same time. Have you got any cat toys to entertain her. Mine beg when board lol, a couple of balls they are happy as larry and then just hang out with us in day or playing together. I find food like pro plan they will not eat all at once but pick through day and have a water fountain drink bowl.

1 of our cats would wake my DH up earlier and earlier in the morning to be fed. He got to 4:30 am before my DH said no more. We went to 1 evening feeding a day and after a couple days they gave up on food in the mornings. They still beg but at least it's confined to once a day. Our vet said feeding once a day is fine.

I've been thinking about this thread quite a bit, she drives me mad with her begging lol. She has her breakfast and STILL sniffs round my breakfast and doesn't let me have it in peace if she is the same room. I shout this at her but she put her big eyes on with an expression of "No comprendo". I forgot to add that her and her brother have 4 pouches between them (so more or less 2 each), but also have dry food constantly, which they don't touch unless really hungry

Hi everyone. OP here and thank you for all the responses. To answer some questions…

xMichellex: She is totally indoor. If I let her out, she fights with other cats and we frankly can't afford the vet bills from an all-out fight :( We have bought her climbing towers, scratching posts/pads galore and she just freaks out and runs the other way as soon as we bring them through the door. We cover them in catnip but she really hates them. We've wasted so much $$ on the really fancy ones… Her favorite thing in the world is her cardboard scratchy boxes. She is addicted to those, but they don't really help her burn energy… We could try more, smaller feeds during the day but I really think that would make things worse because then she'd expect the food even MORE throughout the day, regardless of the quantity. I do think the begging would be worse because I don't think she begs from hunger. It's almost like an OCD/compulsive thing.

Louby: We feed her Feline Wellness, dry in the morning and one small can of wet in the evening.

Caite: interesting about the sticky bowl--I'll look into that!

supertabby: LOVE the timed food dispenser idea. I'll check that out, though I do fear that she'll be afraid of the thing and won't go near her food… She's kind of skittish :/

calm: And this is a big issue for us--we have ZERO time to play with her. Things are absolutely insane for us with a toddler and newborn, and really the only time we have for snugs with her is when we're sleeping or when I sit on the couch to breastfeed, I'll try to pet her and give some snuggles. As far as playing, she just sorta goes bat crazy and runs around the house randomly in the evening. We don't really play with her. I do wish we could go back to demand feeding of dry food like you are doing, but she would get too heavy again and as I used to work with diabetic cats, I really don't want things taking that turn :/

How much overweight is she? If free fed does she maintain that weight more or less. I would lean to letting her free feed more as long as you know there are risks to that. Maybe until you can get a better handle on life/stress let this go a bit for now. Not saying to let her get to point she can not move!

I would look into feeding wet food that is low carb. Reduce risk of diabetes and she may drop weight while still being able to eat a lot. Friskies pate is my favorite to use-can find it on sale for .40 a can and cheaper with coupon or get the big cans. Maybe do dry during night to stretch cost.

The eating to fast you can help by placing a few large rocks or something in bowl. They also have treat dispensing ball you can place food in and cat has to bat to get it out. Some of my cats love it others wait for the other cats to hit it for them and steal the food:p
Can you get AJ to throw toys or hold a stick toy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->