Help with understanding my HCG test

RandaPanda

Reaction score
Hi ladies!

It's been a few years since I've been on here, but DH and I got a surprise with a BFP on Sunday evening (25th). It was very faint, and none of the other tests I've taken are getting any darker. My son had a doctors visit on Monday, so I mentioned while there that I got a positive test at home. He had me do a test in the office as well, which was very faint. Yesterday, I went for a blood test, and I was able to check my results online which say I'm at 127. My doctors office is closed this afternoon, so I've been googling fiercely because something just doesn't seem right with this pregnancy - I'm crampy and I usually have very strong lines before my period is due. Can anyone help me understand if 127 is low, please? I understand the main concern is the levels doubling, so I'm hoping to go back for a second test.

I had spotting on Jan 29th, but my period didn't seem to fully start until the 31st, so I don't know what to classify as CD1.

We only dtd on the night of Feb. 10th, so I must have ovulated sometime soon after that.

I'm thinking I would have been anywhere from 14-17dpo yesterday...

My cycles are anywhere from 23-31 days since having DS#2.

I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance that everything is okay. This baby is a big surprise, and we had been on the fence about having a third child, but once I got a BFP, I was no longer on the fence and instantly became so invested in this little one <3

I don’t think it’s low at all. There’s a huge range. Like you said, numbers doubling every 48 is more important. I had mine done on Monday and again today and am waiting for the results. I too was anxious at first glance but soon realized that it’s the number from today that matters most.

I don’t think it’s low at all. There’s a huge range. Like you said, numbers doubling every 48 is more important. I had mine done on Monday and again today and am waiting for the results. I too was anxious at first glance but soon realized that it’s the number from today that matters most.

Thank you! I think I'm just really nervous because, for my other two pregnancies, I was tracking temps, had a steady cycle length, knew when I O'd, etc. and things have been all over the map with this one. Hoping I can relax a bit, and also that my doctor will order a second test!

Good luck with your results :flower:

I understand. I’ve had two back to back miscarriages, one that required a d&c the beginning of the year. Relaxing is hard, but I realized after my last mmc where I was anxious about everything that it doesn’t actually help. Time moves the same. Thank you. I hope you are able to get that second order soon!

Just to chime in, my beta was 10 at 10dpo with my now 2yo. It was considered super low. He’s fine! Got everything crossed for you!

Thank you <3

I'm feeling even more confused now. My doctor is sending me back for a second test, but not until Monday. The receptionist said that my number was 127, but the doctors notes say that is too low and I "may not be pregnant". Though not super dark, the 9 tests I've taken (I may have a problem...:haha:) say I am (8 ICs and one digital that said 2-3 weeks). She must mean that the pregnancy may not be viable, but I definitely didn't like the wording :wacko:

I also read that spotting shouldn't be counted as CD1 as my doctor counted it, so I think the first day of my LMP is the 31st of Jan rather than the 29th.
With us BDing late on the 10th, the earliest I would have O'd is the 11th, right? If it is the 11th, I got my first BFP at 14dpo and my HCG was 127 at 16dpo. But I could have O'd a bit later, and then my numbers wouldn't seem so worrisome.

I do have a lot of aching in my lower back and feeling like AF is coming on, so maybe this isn't meant to be, but I'm trying to hold out hope and also trying to recall if I felt this way with my previous pregnancies. I'm a bit surprised my doctor is so doubtful though. I read somewhere that at 16dpo, the average HCG level is 95 with a common range of 33-223, which would make my number just fine. I was already so anxious, and the news from my doctor's office really didn't help!

With one of my pg, I had an hCG of 38 at 13dpo. My dr told me I was likely carrying hCG left from a recent miscarriage and had me retested 2 days later to see if it went down. I knew it was a new pg becuase I'd tested out my hCG with my loss and knew when I'd ovulated. My hCG was 56 two days later and she said I was pg but going to miscarry because 56 was too low for my gestation. A week later, I started spotting and she said I was miscarrying and that I had caused the loss by getting pg too soon. :growlmad:

Well that supposed miscarriage is now my precious, goofy darling 3 year old DD2.

Your numbers are very good. Especially if you ovulated a few days after you bd'd (sperm can live up to 5 days inside you) and you were less than 16dpo when you had the blood test done. I would try not to worry though I know it's hard.

I've only had hcg done with Emma, and my GP was very worried about the 'low' numbers, he had me take bloods several times. I don't recall the exact numbers but I think I was 4 weeks along and about the same hcg as you.

My beta at 16 dpo was only 95, and my doctor doesn&#8217;t seem worried. It&#8217;s good that you&#8217;re getting a second beta, but I&#8217;m quite surprised they&#8217;d be so concerned about 127. I think I O&#8217;d on Feb 11, so we&#8217;re pretty close in timing. Hopefully you get great news on Monday!

Any word yet? Fingers have been crossed for you!

With one of my pg, I had an hCG of 38 at 13dpo. My dr told me I was likely carrying hCG left from a recent miscarriage and had me retested 2 days later to see if it went down. I knew it was a new pg becuase I'd tested out my hCG with my loss and knew when I'd ovulated. My hCG was 56 two days later and she said I was pg but going to miscarry because 56 was too low for my gestation. A week later, I started spotting and she said I was miscarrying and that I had caused the loss by getting pg too soon. :growlmad:

Well that supposed miscarriage is now my precious, goofy darling 3 year old DD2.

Your numbers are very good. Especially if you ovulated a few days after you bd'd (sperm can live up to 5 days inside you) and you were less than 16dpo when you had the blood test done. I would try not to worry though I know it's hard.

Thank you <3
Wow, I would have been so upset with that doctor :growlmad: I'm glad it all turned out wonderfully though!

My beta at 16 dpo was only 95, and my doctor doesn’t seem worried. It’s good that you’re getting a second beta, but I’m quite surprised they’d be so concerned about 127. I think I O’d on Feb 11, so we’re pretty close in timing. Hopefully you get great news on Monday!

Right?! I was surprised too. But his concern really added to my feeling that something isn't quite right. Though I think I might just be feeling that way because I wasn't planning this pregnancy at all (apparently my husband and I are just idiots when it comes to simple math in the heat of the moment :haha:)

I hope we can go on our 9 month journey together :) And I'm in Canada too!

My fmu today was very light, but I took these two tests at noon (picture is of the results after 3 and 5 minutes respectively) and my line is a bit darker. I'd be somewhere between 16-18 dpo if I ovulated on CD 12, 13 or 14 I think I should try not to worry so much until I get my betas checked again on Monday...

Attachments

• 16-18dpo.jpg
    16-18dpo.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 8
With being at 127 on Tuesday, would it be reasonable to stay optimistic as long as I'm at at least 1000 on Monday then? (assuming 48 to 72 hours doubling time)

I don't go for my first midwife appointment until March 29th, and they have a tendency to wait until 12 weeks for first ultrasound. Though if mine knows how anxious I am, she may send me same day (she did with DS#2, and I was so grateful!)

Those are beautiful lines! I know how hard it is, but I hope you are able to relax until Monday.

Those are beautiful lines! I know how hard it is, but I hope you are able to relax until Monday.

Did your results come through today? I asked above, but also posted a few times, so my message to you got mixed in there!

Your Beta is great and your lines look fantastic I would not be worried. My 1st beta at 8 days passed ovulation was only 27 and I have a 9 month old little girl now.

Did your results come through today? I asked above, but also posted a few times, so my message to you got mixed in there!

Sorry I missed your question. However, yes I got my results and I’m officially pregnant! I’m taking it one day at a time. I’m not anxious this go round, so that’s good. Last pregnancy I was having full on panic attacks. Praying this results in a healthy baby.

My beta at 16 dpo was only 95, and my doctor doesn’t seem worried. It’s good that you’re getting a second beta, but I’m quite surprised they’d be so concerned about 127. I think I O’d on Feb 11, so we’re pretty close in timing. Hopefully you get great news on Monday!

Right?! I was surprised too. But his concern really added to my feeling that something isn't quite right. Though I think I might just be feeling that way because I wasn't planning this pregnancy at all (apparently my husband and I are just idiots when it comes to simple math in the heat of the moment :haha:)

I hope we can go on our 9 month journey together :) And I'm in Canada too!

Me too! Having a ‘bump buddy’ would be fun!

I think your lines look great! Hope you can keep busy until Monday...it’s hard not to worry but really whether you worry or not, it won’t change the outcome. I’m such a worrier but I’m trying to enjoy every moment of this pregnancy. Just keep telling myself, Today, I am pregnant!

Sorry I missed your question. However, yes I got my results and I’m officially pregnant! I’m taking it one day at a time. I’m not anxious this go round, so that’s good. Last pregnancy I was having full on panic attacks. Praying this results in a healthy baby.

Wonderful news! :happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->