help!!!

LeeLouClare

Reaction score
My little boy was born on the 7th of November and I wanted to solely breast feed, so when the midwifes came to weigh him he'd lost 11.1% of his body weight - :cry: I didn't even realize I wasn't producing enough milk for him so I'm now combination feeding him - formula in a cup and breast feeding and expressing were I can - I'm still not producing enough I can only pump 10ml of milk :cry:
And when talking to my mum she seems to think if the milk isn't coming in by now it never will!! :cry:
I'm expressing where I can and breast feeding every feed in order to help my milk come though - but should I bother?
all my friends say that they wish they'd fed differently and that they'll get it right next time.
I want to get it right first time.
So I just need to know will it be worth it, I love breast feeding and I want to be able feed him on the breast only more then anything ...... :cry:

my son is now 8 days old.

All babies lose weight in the first few days and it can take 7-10 days for them to start gaining it back. It's completely normal to lose 10%. Your breast milk is usually sufficient without formula. Just let baby feed whenever he/she wants and this will build up your supply. Your babe will be gaining back weight in no time.

Agreed with above! The midwife should really have advised you that it is perfectly normal for your LO to lose some of his birth weight at start! Using formula can only mess you your bf plans; trust nature, trust your body, bf on demand, drop the formula and stick with it - it will be hard at first but you will get there. There are only like less than 2% of women who really have milk supply issues and usually there is a medical/hormonal issue...
Good luck
x

thank you very much :) I'll start straight away!!! feeling very positive now!!! :happydance:
is that why he throws up a lot?? am i now over feeding??

My baby lost nearly 11% of her birth weight in the first couple of days, the midwives said upto 10% is normal. Luckily my mw was very pro-breastfeeding and told me to put LO to the breast as much as possible and to spend the day in bed with plenty of skin to skin contact. It worked for us :)

If I were you I'd stop with the formula and exclusively bf, your supply will increase before you know it x

I'd personally drop the top-ups (although fantastic you were able to cup feed!) and just keep latching LO on every time he peeps. Some places don't worry until weight loss hits 15%, so it's just down to your area whether they worry about 10% or 15%.

Keep an eye on his nappies when you stop topping up - as long as he's doing 4 poos, each of about the size of a £2 coin or larger, and plenty of wet nappies, he's getting enough milk.

I could never express more than 30mls when I had to express the first week, and that took almost an hour. Your LO's tummy only has a capacity of around 15mls at the moment, so your milk is plenty to fill him up :)

Trust your body and your baby, keep and eye on the nappies, and keep feeding :)

What they all said. Most of the time I struggle to express 1oz in a session; yet two of my boys consistently gained 16-20oz for the first few weeks and my youngest gained 10-12oz per week up until about 10 weeks, 11.1% is not a huge amount over 10% either but some health professionals really worry about ticking the boxes; there was one lady on here I remember her MW saying at 2 weeks she'd have to start giving formula after every feed because her baby was something like 3g (yes 3 grams not 3oz) below her birthweight! xx

I also am only able to express a small amount, so that is not necessarily a good indicator. My lo lost about 10% and didn't start regaining til week 2. Now he is eating all the time and gaining.

im going to bed so cant give my full reply, But my LO lost over 16%, and it took 3 weeks of pumping and feeding every 2 hours (pmping after feeding) and then feed the pumped milk.

At first i could only get 10mls, but soon enough my milk came in. Slowly withdraw the formula (shouldnt have been given IMO, you will produce enough and if your feeding him formula your body will "forget" he needs feeding"). Honestly its doable. Im still feeding at nearly 17 months and i very nearly lost it all in the frst few weeks, The first 6 weeks are the hardest and you WILL get there i promise.

PM me if you need any advice, Oh and i would suggest an electric pump if you dont already have one :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->