Heparin

ElliesMum

Mum of 2
Reaction score
Anyone else using heparin?

I have to inject in my belly every day (well OH does actualy cos i cant do needles!!!).

As we've been doing this for a few weeks now, we're having trouble finding a place that isnt already bruised. Its getting really painful.

I've never heard of that. Did they say why they had you start that?

I had never heard of this either but have done some digging around on the internet, maybe you can talk to your doctor about where else you can inject.... i have read some peoples posts on the net and they have all said they find them quite painful and they too bruise, but they try to alternate the sides in which inject to prevent as much bruising. Hope your ok x

Ive read elsewhere on the forum from another member (Helen) to ice the area first before injecting to numb it and to help prevent against bruising.

I injected Heparin (Clexane) throughout both my pregnancies. I always found it was really stingy when I injected into my belly, and as my bump got bigger, it was harder to pinch enough skin to do it.
Although when you read the leaflet it says to inject into your abdomen, you can safely inject into your thigh, as long as your pinching enough skin so that you don't inject into any muscle. I switched to my thighs in my first pregnancy after speaking to my Consultant, who said it was ok to do so.
-Just make sure you alternate between both thighs.

Ive read elsewhere on the forum from another member (Helen) to ice the area first before injecting to numb it and to help prevent against bruising.

Thanks for tht AG.

My doc gave me a spray to put on first to numb it but it wasnt vry good. I might try the ice though.

I injected Heparin (Clexane) throughout both my pregnancies. I always found it was really stingy when I injected into my belly, and as my bump got bigger, it was harder to pinch enough skin to do it.
Although when you read the leaflet it says to inject into your abdomen, you can safely inject into your thigh, as long as your pinching enough skin so that you don't inject into any muscle. I switched to my thighs in my first pregnancy after speaking to my Consultant, who said it was ok to do so.
-Just make sure you alternate between both thighs.

We did try my thigh on one occasion but cos we couldnt pinch too much skin it was so painful, i nearly went through the roof! Not tried that one since. Consultant did say we could use my bum but i'm worried in case that bruises too much, i wont be able to sit down!!!

We're alternating each side on my belly each day but i've done this with so many pregnancies now (so many m/c's) that i think i have so much scar tissue there, the skin is so hard. Some needles are really hard to get in, OH says its like putting it in wood. Charming!!!

Clexane is really awful stuff. I was injecting it into my bum most of the time, I didn't try the tummy cos I was injecting something else into there. I tried my thighs but I could barely walk afterwards so found alternating bum cheeks was the best solution. The ice pack before and afterwards really helped (just one of those things you put in a cool box wrapped in a tea towel else it sticks!).

I was told to imagine dividing your bum cheek into 4 and injecting into the outside top quarter so it was never the bit you need to sit on. You do kinda run out of places to try though. I was told if things got really bad I could go onto pessaries - might be worth asking about.

When I was injecting into my tummy (the other stuff) I found leaning right forward and relaxing my tummy as much as possible made it easier and getting quite a tight pinch of skin to inject into helped.

Good luck, how long do you have to continue injecting for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->