Here's one: Would you shop your son/daughter to the police??

Rachiebaby24

Reaction score
I do like to see different people's views on contraversial subjects!!

So would you shop your son/daughter to the police.....

There was a lady in the papers who did this a while ago and although she did receive support, she also came under fire from some people and some of her own family have disowned her!

What would you do...??

If my son/daughter was a danger to anyone (rapist, murderer etc) then definately...likewise if I knew he/she had done something like that....

However, I dont know if i would if say, he/she knicked a telly from a shop. I know its wrong and its breaking the law and it would different if they were young but if they were fully grown then they are aware of the risks of doing criminal activity. Having said that I would try and make them see their ways and help them but if it was a problem like they went out burgling peoples houses or it led to bigger things like bank robbery then that would be going too far and I would shop them. I would probably shop them anonomously but I would do it all the same. I would be doing it because i love them and want them to be going in the right path of life and i think that the best reasons for doing so even if it would break my heart (but then my heart would be broken if they chose that sort of life anyway).

Yes. I hope to God she NEVER does anything like that but if she did I wouldn't think twice. (If you're on about the lady who's kids kicked that man to death?)

Little things, nah, I would cover for her.

Oooh this is a good one!

In a word, yes! If they were a threat to themselves or anyone else then I would do it in a second. If it was something but but slightly less serious, I would probably sit them down and try to understand why they did it but if it continued to be a problem then I wouldnt hesitate in informing the police. I think sometimes parents can be quite powerless and then it is necessary to get the police involved.

Yes I would. For little things I wouldn't but if it was serious I wouldn't think twice. Hopefully I never have to!

Yes I would.

As a mother you're supposed to protect your child from harm but shielding a child from the consequences of their actions isn't really protecting them in the long run IMO.

For something small I'd obviously not.

But if they were a harm to others or themselves and I knew about it I'd definately do something about it.
DH and I have had a few discussions about it. If I found out my child was doing serious drugs like cocaine or heroin. I doubt I'd keep quiet and shield them like I've seen so many parents do. I'd much rather he/she get caught and charged than find them dead in someones apartment.

that is such a hard choice aint it i couldnt say 100% what i would do in any situation unless it happened but this is what i would want to to, for small things (obviously any crime is bad big or small) like you say stealin a tv i wouldnt go to the police and i would try sort it myself, but murders and stuff like that no way could i cover for that, i would have to go to the police no matter how much it broke my heart, i think what would break my heart more though is him actually doing it in the first place

No. I wouldn't turn my child over to police. It's a thing in our family- never snitch on family. We'd work it out between us. I would probably disown any family that turned in another member also.

Of course, no one in my family has been in a situation where they had to so I guess I can't really say what I would do 100% but it would have to be something dead serious- a serious danger to other people.

If it were a drug issue, I would get them medical help. The judicial system wouldn't do anything for a drug issue anyway.

oh i wouldnt go to the police about drugs i dont think that helps at all its easier to get drugs in prison than it is outside lol! i would get medical help, murder is what it would take to get me to the police i dont think i could sit at home knowing they had commited a murder out of pure evilness and not go to police but then as i say i dont know what id do 100%

Like others have said something serious then yes ... things not so serious then no

if it as something really serious then i think i probably would, but small things? nah, i'd cover for them.

I would encourage my child to be honest and put themselves forward!! but if worst came to worst and what they had done had seriously affected someone elses life and they could do it again i would have no choice but to!!

x

If they stole something then I probably wouldn't. However, if they raped or murdered I would. Not sure about if they were dealing serious drugs.

Definately yes big or small they need to see that there is consequences for their actions
A few of you have said you would cover for small offences, I'm just wonder what you class as a small offence

To me if you cover up for a child young or old, you are setting your self up for a fall and you aren't going to teach your children about respect for themselves or others

Just another thing i noticed on this thread you ladies are either pregnant or have very young children, do any of you have older school age children?

Just asking because if say your child stole a pencil from another child, how would you handle that? cover for them? make them take it back and apologise or report them to the Head teacher? ( the authorty figure before police when older)

To me how you are with your children when younger should determine wheather you would ever need to shop them to the police or not, if you cover for them when younger they are going to expect it when older and where would it end??

I would but it wouldn't be easy. If someone does something wrong, they should be punished IMO. Hopefully Ill never have to be put in that position

xxx

Let's put it this way. If all my talks, grounding etc. didn't work after my child did something minor like stealing than I would do something more drastic to scare him/her.

My daughter was 4 and we were in a grocery store one day. When we got outside I noted that she had something we didn't pay for. I took her right back in so that she could give it to the cashier and apologize. She hasn't done it since. BUT, what if I ignored it?

Another thing, we have kids and our responsibility as they are growing up are to teach them right from wrong, and how to eventually move out into the world. If we didn't deal with these issues, then how the hell are they supposed to learn?

i would, they would need to be taught the consequences of there actions, although i would feel bad about it, i guess lil things i wouldn't, but the second my child takes a 1p sweet from the shop, hell be too scared to ever comit a crime again ahaha

Let's put it this way. If all my talks, grounding etc. didn't work after my child did something minor like stealing than I would do something more drastic to scare him/her.

My daughter was 4 and we were in a grocery store one day. When we got outside I noted that she had something we didn't pay for. I took her right back in so that she could give it to the cashier and apologize. She hasn't done it since. BUT, what if I ignored it?

Another thing, we have kids and our responsibility as they are growing up are to teach them right from wrong, and how to eventually move out into the world. If we didn't deal with these issues, then how the hell are they supposed to learn?

i completely agree.

I was at a parent appreciation tea at my daughter's school yesterday and the principle sat down at each table to just to talk to us. He said that his kids are older now, blah, blah.

We asked him what his secret was in having loving, good kids. The one thing he did mention that there will be times when you won't allow your kids to do something as a consequence of their bad actions and you will go to bed in tears. How true!

Parenting isn't an easy job and there will be times your kids are going to cause you tears. But you have to do what you have to do in order to bring your kids up right, and to enter this world as good citizens.

Yes I would!

Happens my young teenage (14) cousin has been through a roughy not so many weeks ago!

My Aunt knew she'd stolen from town it was postcards but knew they weren't paid for my Aunt tore them up and she was grounded - gave her what for and told her if it continued she would hand her to the police - DAYS later guess who rang my Aunt "your daughter is here has been caught shop lifting" my Aunt asked how long they would keep her for if they would and they said yep, Aunt continued her gardening & cousin sat in the cells for 2 hours or 3! She was grounded for a couple of week (3 I think) to her room no TV mobile no nothing!

If I knew my child had shop lifted and was small items such as a tube of foundation, stickers, note book something alike I would destroy the item and ground with no pleasures like tv pc mobile console - whatever it maybe and all of it then if I was faced with a second time yer think I would march her to the local police station for a scare.

If my child was a bully I would humiliate her in school - insist on longer report cards - insist on detention every break - make sure she apologised to the child concerned in the playground infront of friends and the child parent as well as ground! For me to go this far though I'd have to be 100% certain.

One look at the goings-on in the world nowadays is proof that many kids have gone the wrong direction. More break and enters, more drugs, more bullying, etc. You have to ask why?

Is it because their parents aren't caring and dismissing their bad actions? Is it because their parents covered for them at minor offenses? And on it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->