High AFP levels

ChunkyLilly

Reaction score
Hi all,

I got my triple test results yesterday and was told I have an increased risk of the baby having spina bifida as the result of the AFP test showed a result of 3.19 when a "normal" result showed be no greater than 2.50.

The consultant did a quick scan and said at this stage (17wks) the brain looks fine, as does the face, hands and spine but we won't get any further info until the 20 weeks scan...mine is booked for 4 wks time.

I can't stop thinking about this now and keep getting upset over it. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm trying to find out what the chances are of having a healthy baby with no problems. The dating is fine as I know that can caused raised levels but that doesn't seem to apply to me.

:nope:

hey hun, im not in the same boat as you but we got out triple test results back and came back high risk for downs 1 in 91 we've decided against the amnio but now have to wait 2 weeks until we have our 20 week scanso i understand how horrible the wait is ..the best advice ive been iven so far is to try your best not to dwell on it because you cant change t what will be will be kinda thing and we would drive ourself insane if we kept just thinking about it

ano its so hard but ive eben trying to fill up my days as much as i can there are times i remember and have a wee tear or two....

like i said ano its different but i can sympathise with your waiting time xxx

I also had high risk for spina bifida and my result was 5.60. Everything was fine at 16 week scan but when I went for 21 week scan although there were no abnormalities, they did find that the baby has enlarged ventricles in the head. They are only slightly above what they call normal and I have to go back for another scan at 24 weeks to check the measurements have not increased. I have been worried as you can imagine but I am hoping everything will be ok. I have researched on the net and not all high AFP results end in an unhealthy baby so good luck and I will keep you posted on my next scan results. Its easy to say not to worry but I am trying to remain positive and think that everything will be fine, which it can be xx

You have to keep in mind that these are just statistical probabilities and not diagnostic.

I was also high risk on the triple test for DS due to high HcG levels. Then I had the test repeated and second time it came back as low risk. So It can change from day to day too.

It's hard not to worry, but don't get too wrapped up in the chance that your baby has problems (I know I did, and I regret that I let it ruin a good part of my pregnancy that I've waited so long for). Try to look ahead and reassure yourself that things will be fine. :hugs:

Hi all,

The consultant did a quick scan and said at this stage (17wks) the brain looks fine, as does the face, hands and spine but we won't get any further info until the 20 weeks scan...mine is booked for 4 wks time.

:nope:

Is your test this week? Mine is tomorrow. I am sending good vibes your way!! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->